X-Wing decal help needed

Jimmer

I found a Hero X-Wing for 10 dollars tonight, got it home and it's missing the decal sheet.

Does anyone possibly have a copy that they could scan for me? Or another solution?

Thanks,
Jim

Mine came with the decals stuck on and they are peeling off. I doubt you'd have more luck sticking them on as is without prepping the plastic with loctite "superglue all plastics" that works specifically on PE or an adhesion promoter primer. If you are going through the trouble you are better off giving it a soapwash and priming it with an adhesion promoter and go nuts painting and weathering it (my plan basically). I know that's not what you asked, but I thought I'd give you my two cents.

Is this what you're chasing??

Attachments

• IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
Mine came with the decals stuck on and they are peeling off. I doubt you'd have more luck sticking them on as is without prepping the plastic with loctite "superglue all plastics" that works specifically on PE or an adhesion promoter primer. If you are going through the trouble you are better off giving it a soapwash and priming it with an adhesion promoter and go nuts painting and weathering it (my plan basically). I know that's not what you asked, but I thought I'd give you my two cents.

Hey basement,

I luckily found a guy who had a spare decal sheet.

Mine came with the cockpit window and fuselage decals pre-applied, but should have contained a decal sheet with the wing stickers (that is the sheet that I managed to get today).

The ship I purchased isn't have peeling problems yet, but I remember when these X-wings were abundant in stores many had the black window stickers peeling off while they were still on the shelf.

I'm going to weather this X-wing (at the least, maybe paint) so I've been giving serious thought to ridding it of all decals and painting them. What worries me is trying to paint the red and yellow on fuselage and red markings on the wings. I'm getting decent at painting and weathering, but my big weak spot is trying to do things like the red and yellow stripes on fuselage. What I mean is trying to make the "rectangular or square" patches look good.

I know masking tape is the key, I just have not done enough of this type thing. Guess it's time to start practicing.

I didn't want to put anywhere near the time in this that I have (and am) invested into the Hero Falcon, but you know how that goes...lol. I really wish the store had had two of these. I would loved to have bought a second just for a second pair of wings to attempt to make a S-foil opened model.

I found these in Sweden a while back for about $13 each? I bought 2 with the intention of modding them. There are a lot of nice threads here on this and it's what inspired me. I thought it was going to be a quick thing too, but it looks like there is a lot that can be done. I haven't even checked what's in mine so I missed there were extra decal sheets in there. I probably won't modify mine as much as some people have, but they are not on the top of my to do list so that is subject to change...

As for the masking tape, just make sure to use proper stuff that is low tack if you are going to repaint all of it and you shouldn't have any trouble with lifting paint. I don't think you'll have much trouble - if the tape goes on crooked you can just reapply it;) You only have to paint once (well a few layers probably). If you are not going to use an airbrush you could consider using a larger brush and stippling on the stripes (like you would normally do with stencils) taking care to not put on too much colour in places where you want to emulate paint chips. I think that would come out pretty neat. Now I have to try it hehe.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back