First Pep attempt, Old School Hero Stormtrooper. Casting.

Re: First Pep attempt, Old School Hero Stormtrooper. Moulds Made.

This looks amazing mate. Quality will probably be better than the AA!

Right, I formed a lip around all the edges that overlaps the jacket & will help to keep the rubber held firmly during casting :)

So next step is to run casts :eek
I've used fiberglass plenty over the years but I've never used Polyester Gel Coat & I've never cast Polyester out of a silicone mould! So fingers crossed this'll work :D
I'm not intending to use a release agent?? only because I've not been able to find any info on needing to. I'm just a bit worried about damaging the moulds but we'll see what happens, eh :)

Last edited:

Can't wait to see the outcome - just finished the card build from the file you used....looks mighty fine. Good luck and looking forward to see the first one

Excellent news drewfus :)

Well, this is kind of a test run & I'm looking forward to de-moulding it :eek

Firstly I dusted the mould with talc & blew out any excess. I then mixed the gel coat precisely as advised with 2% activator & brushed a single layer on slightly overlapping the edges. I then left that to gel, not quite set but starting too. I poured laminating resin in to the mould & sloshed it around directly over the gel coat & then started laying Fiberglass tissue over that. I wetted out the tissue & left it to again start gelling. I then started laying regular Fiberglass over the tissue, wetted it out, doubled up in a few strategic places & that's where it is now.

This is the tissue layer:

& the Fiberglass layer:

I overlapped the pieces of tissue & the pieces of Fiberglass when laying them in & I used a brush to wet them out :)

Last edited:

I couldn't wait any longer....

There are some very minor dents or deformations, there's no gloss :confused & there are what look like dirty marks on it :confused possibly gel coat too thin? All easily fixed with a light rub down, primer & paint.

Otherwise I'm quite happy with that :D

Now, on with the face :)

Last edited:

Normally I really dislike pepped TK helmets. It's soo awesome to have one with cast lineage to the screen worn helmets...

But WOW.

That is simply amazing work. Hands down the most accurate attempt I've ever seen! Anyone would be proud to own one.

BRAVO!

fab-u-lous..... that is the dogs doo-dahs....

oh i can't wait for it to warm up so i can get going now....

The face isn't coming out as good :( I brushed through the gel coat while laying up the tissue & the shape of this piece is really difficult to do :unsure I think I'm going to have re-do it but with loose chopped strand & lots of resin :rolleyes Its all a big learning curve though :)
The fumes from the resin are really starting to get to me now :sick:wacko I should be wearing a mask but I can't find it. I've been using the stuff for the last few days & I think I need a break from it!
I'm not too confident with this part but I have moulds & I can experiment until I produce something I'm happy with :)

I'll de-mould it in an hour or so & post a pic or two :)

Thanks for the kind words Guy's :)

I'll definitely have to do this one again, its too thin in places but it proves that the mould works :)

Last edited:
Many Thanks :)

Well, I gave the parts a rough trim this morning, I wanted to see whether they would fit together......

I'm pleasantly surprised!! It all fits together like its meant to, everything lines up!! Happy :D
I've also had a think about how to improve the casts out of these moulds & I have an idea which I think might just work... we'll see but not today :)

Last edited:

Ok, Second attempt has worked out well :)
Got my glossy finish, did things differently.

This time I mixed the gel coat with the laminating resin 50/50, added the activator & poured it into the mould & sloshed it around.
I didn't dust the mould this time, just made sure it was clean. I added the fiberglass loose chopped strand for the hard to reach parts & regular FG mat for the rest.

There's a little bit of Acne here n there due to bubbles in the thixo coat of the mould. I'll flat those with a 2000 grit & compound them out. The colour coat on this is nice & thick so I shouldn't have to worry about polishing through.

:)

Last edited:
Are you going to offer these?

If I was to offer these I would need to check that I'm not stepping on anyone's toes & check I'm allowed to. I would also need to figure out a way to produce casts a bit easier & more reliably than I can right now.
I wouldn't mind being able to shift a couple or three just to cover my costs but I'm not sure at the moment :)

Well as far as toes go... in one hand it's not like your recasting or anything, but in the other hand I could see Disney being interested in your handy work. :D
At the end of the day you'll have a great looking helmet. Your casts look really good.

Well as far as toes go... in one hand it's not like your recasting or anything, but in the other hand I could see Disney being interested in your handy work. :D
At the end of the day you'll have a great looking helmet. Your casts look really good.

Its very nice of you to say :)
Its based on a Pep file that was created by someone else & modified by another I'd have to check with those guy's if I was to offer these :)

Bit of an update:
These pics were taken in natural light
DSCF3073_zpstqpq9pwc.jpg

DSCF3075_zpsb9toowpn.jpg

:)

Last edited:
After finding this thread I got really inspired trying out fskn pepakura model. I have tried namivanmar upgraded spacecowboy model but it didn't turn out the way I wanted.

Anywho! I have a question for mr Leigh. Or anyone that done this model....

How the ***** do you do the four recessed-things on the dome "bottom"? On the picture, to the right over the eye.

Stormy02_zpscxyiqasd.jpg

Witch part do you glue first? That tiny thin paper string to the recessed-part or to the dome? It feels like it's to many triangle to fit :)

And also: Leigh. I love this build. Hope to see more from you

Last edited by a moderator:
I built the recessed parts first, pre folded everything & then glued the really thin bit to the flaps making sure everything fitted as its supposed to. Then trim the excess flaps off & leave for the glue to fully set. Then fit to the dome making sure everything lines up.

HTH :)

I haven't updated as I've been really busy with other things I'm afraid :( All I've done since the last update is fit the lenses :$ I shall crack on & finish the casting soon :) & there'll be a few pics :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back