Darth Vader ROTJ Build - Studio 49

The time has finally come! After a year of waiting my dream Darth Vader Helmet and Chest armour, it has arrived!
Oh and you remember how I said I still have a trick up my sleeve? Well lets just say I now am the proud owner of one the first ever ROTJ Quasimodo's! Yep that's why there was an extra delay, I figured I've gone this long striving for quality, may as well nail it first time round with a stunning Quasi!

2A_zps0pni4qrx.jpg

2B_zpswgiiufbw.jpg

2C_zps0zlilhlt.jpg

2D_zpsuod44hbd.jpg

3A_zpsellezlrj.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! Don't forget: the best shots of props are 6 feet back to reduce perspective distortion. :cool

Thank you Mac :)
And don't worry, I've certainly not forgotten that rule ;) I just wanted to get pictures up ASAP since I'm so excited!
Also, I'm going to need a nicer camera for that one ;)

Wow, so that's the first? Even I don't get the first. Kudos, bro! (y)cheers

I don't know for sure that this beautiful piece of kit is the first ROTJ Quasi, but I'm damn well sure it's got to be near the start somewhere! I haven't seen anyone else get one
And of course I just want to say a huge thanks to you Mac, without you're amazing sculpting skills and attention to detail on all things Vader, I wouldn't have the opportunity to troop as Vader and proudly display this wearable piece of art in my collection (of which it's clearly the centrepiece and steals the spotlight form absolutely everything else! ;) )

And of course, huge hats of to Paul who's done a stellar job of painting this bad boy!

Congratulations on your newest pieces. They are absolutely stunning! Your whole set up is gorgeous!
Thank you mate, and thank you for your compliment son the set up :)
I simply cannot wait to get the Dark Lord suited up for the first time!!!

Wow, so that's the first? Even I don't get the first. Kudos, bro! (y)cheers
I just noticed that on the inside of the bucket it has a number drawn, and if it is as I'm assuming the number in the run it was made, mine would be the second ROTJ Quasimodo out in the wild :)

Looks great Jonah ... congratulations. Question how are the shoulder bells attached to the armor? Could you post a picture?

Chaim

Looks great Jonah ... congratulations. Question how are the shoulder bells attached to the armor? Could you post a picture?

Chaim
Thanks mate :)
Can't take a pic just at the second, but when Paul says it's hinged shoulder bells, it's literally just that. Imagine a butt hinge that has a range of motion of 180 degrees. The hinge itself is glued onto the inside edge of the central piece of armour with some sort of strong adhesive which has a bolt and nut installed, then it's a simple matter of attaching the bells to the armour with the nut's.

Hopefully that'll help until I get the chance to take a picture for you ;)

Thanks ... well I'm more of a visual guy so a picture would help ... as would to know where one could get 180º degrees movable hinges from?

Chaim

And the first full suit up is done!

Quick side note, a couple of things i picked up on while doing the suit up (man it feels good saying that!) was that the Bodysuit creased in etc middle and I needed to pull him down (easy fix), really need to velcro in the Nice fan system Paul included and I need to put a few millimetres of foam und er the armour just for the tops of the shoulder blades. Also just a reminder the inner robe isn't in the suit up as the seamstress still has it form my last visit so she could fix it up.

This is my first time in full armour so although I knew how a lot of it was meant to sit I'm still trying working out where and how I can move in it and how I can adjust things!

Now onto the pictures!!!
3A_zpsmeabts6z.jpg

3G_zpsequnqmko.jpg

3K_zpsyirtdrsn.jpg

Last edited:
That helmet is so on point its not even funny! @CSMacLaren really got that Vader look down. Some of these angles look exactly like the helmet in the movie. Congrats on such a great ROTJ Vader ensemble!

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day
That looks absolutely terrible, why don't I just take it off your hands :lol

How's it feel to be a legendary movie icon? ;) Those are your own belt boxes and chestbox right? :) Brilliant work. :thumbsup

Just read through the thread... amazing job on the costume and custom parts. It really looks authentic. If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? I'm kinda tall so I've thought about doing Vader if I ever went all out on a costume... but I'd make for a pretty tubby Vader, so that's not happening. Those shots with the helmet off, reminded me of images of Anthony Daniels with his Threepio helmet off. You look fit enough to pull off one of those suits too... or put on. :p

G'day
That looks absolutely terrible, why don't I just take it off your hands :lol
How's it feel to be a legendary movie icon? ;) Those are your own belt boxes and chestbox right? :) Brilliant work. :thumbsup

Haha, thanks man. Believe it or not you're not the first one to try that ;)
And it felt damn good I've got to say! And yeah I made the belt boxes, chest box and buckle all form scratch

Drool drool drool. Now that's really amazing! !

Thanks mate :)

Just read through the thread... amazing job on the costume and custom parts. It really looks authentic. If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? I'm kinda tall so I've thought about doing Vader if I ever went all out on a costume... but I'd make for a pretty tubby Vader, so that's not happening. Those shots with the helmet off, reminded me of images of Anthony Daniels with his Threepio helmet off. You look fit enough to pull off one of those suits too... or put on. :p

Thank you mate :)
As for height I'm just a tiny bit under 6 foot 2 I believe. Height is something you can fiddle with for Vader, a lot the SLD Vader guys put 1-2inch lifts in their boots.
And as for Threepio, I've had that comment a few times which makes me laugh every time. Don't get me wrong 3PO is awesome but I reckon I'd just get to claustrophobic in it! Haha

Alright everybody, the time finally came for me to do my Approval photos today!
I'm confident with everything except maybe the length of the cape will be an issue for me, regardless I've got the fitting appointment tomorrow for the cape hemming and in the meantime I can get feedback on everything else so that when I get it back in hand once it's seen I can nail it it!

005%20-%20WAIST%20UP%20-%20HELMET%20OFF_zpswbbeisyf.png

DP1_9259_zpsvcuxbf5s.jpg

DP1_9269_zpsgfwvshhk.jpg

Last edited:
Looking damn good. Be glad it is the "right" kind of "wrong length" :p It is by far way more difficult to make it longer, if needed :lol :D

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back