Kylo Ren Dissection & WIP

The wax look on cloak, was thinking it was maybe torched...keep it from fringing? perhaps a fire scene? Maybe its has a lil bit of poly in it, when you burn a nylon rope melts the tips...

Maybe a nice doner, voice changing vader. looks really similar to smaller than most vader helmets.
unnamed[1].jpg

The wax look on cloak, was thinking it was maybe torched...keep it from fringing? perhaps a fire scene? Maybe its has a lil bit of poly in it, when you burn a nylon rope melts the tips...

The exhibit plaque just says coated cotton so I do not think it is a flame polish

somewhere here on the thread someone mentioned the cloak was coated in wax, as used for water proofing.
I think it is more likely that it is backed in wax. It has the look of an upholstery fabric, which means it would be backed with a wax for cleaning and sewing purposes.

IMAG0696.jpg

I don't know if this is helpful info or not, but I have made quite a few t-shirts (mostly Batman Ts!) using it.

The Plasti-dip acts a little weird on fabrics. It will bead up if sprayed too heavily, and shrinks just a little bit as it soaks into the fabric and dries. I've never had it soak all the way through the fabric either, it just sits on the very top layer which is great for Ts. It feels a little stiffer than your average printed t-shirt after a few washes. When it's freshly applied it's pretty stiff. I don't see it moving very well if you apply any more than one very light coat.

Re: Kylo Ren Dissection & WIP

I don't know if this is helpful info or not, but I have made quite a few t-shirts (mostly Batman Ts!) using it.

The Plasti-dip acts a little weird on fabrics. It will bead up if sprayed too heavily, and shrinks just a little bit as it soaks into the fabric and dries. I've never had it soak all the way through the fabric either, it just sits on the very top layer which is great for Ts. It feels a little stiffer than your average printed t-shirt after a few washes. When it's freshly applied it's pretty stiff. I don't see it moving very well if you apply any more than one very light coat.

I'm thinking either a light misting of plastidip, a light misting of a lacquor, or a light misting of a gloss finish.

So I'm very new to this convesation are we saying that he has trousers and shirt the shirt having pleated arms, then a pleated tunic,then another plain tunic and than the basket weave topcoat,wow that's going to be warm

Any progress photos of your helmet? Im currently busy with the helmet, but it looks like your pep file is kuch easier than mine. Could you maybe share that file with me? After i am done with the helmet i will be using 1mm eva foam to get all those details. I am excited to get started with the robe and arm sleeves, but still need to go and look for fabric.

If you need some good gloves, John fuqua ok Facebook is doing a great run that most kylo cosplayers are going with. They look pretty accurate and he should start shipping his first run very soon.

Why does it look like his image was digitally put on that shot? Also does anyone not find it odd for a sith lord not to have his saber on him? Not on his belt nor in his hand!

There's another shot that also cleared things up for me. You can see there's another layer between the basketweave top coat and the pleated tunic. You can see it where the flaps of the top coat are blown back. The texture reminds me a bit of RotS Anakin's tunic.
View attachment 472906

It makes me think that the pleated layer is what the display called the under tunic and the new one in between is the mid coat.

Why does it look like his image was digitally put on that shot? Also does anyone not find it odd for a sith lord not to have his saber on him? Not on his belt nor in his hand!

I believe he was photoshopped to be in front of the Snow Troopers. Maybe the saber-less Ren for the shoot is indicative of a story line event? ;)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back