Tomorrowland

I'm 99% sure that the air pressure gauge on the handle is an "Ashcroft Pressure Gauge, 30 psi, 1/8" NPT, 2", 20W1005PH-01L-30#" with the glass removed.

$_57.JPG

At the very least, it has the exact same face design as the pack on display at the El Capitan exhibit.

Well the ashcroft certainly matches the shape, size and color. only 9$ on ebay. nice find.

wish I lived closer to these displays. to see them upclose. I would love to get some close up shots of that grill plate below the oldsmobile piece.

Also, any ideas on these components that control the movement on the shovels? (Also, for that matter, anyone ID'd the shovels?)

IMG_3877.JPGIMG_3910.JPG

not yet on the shovels I was looking at army surplus and 60s era boy scouts.

were you able to walk around the pack. did you get shots of the harness or the shovels from the backside?

those are some helpful pics again!

looks like you can see the mold lines on the nozzles in the 2nd picture

That cover has to be a scaled down motorcycle piece. The part behind it almost looks like a model version of a cylinder head also.

Nice find on the air gauge. I actually had a couple 30 year old ones laying around that were worn perfectly I'll be using.

Erick

I was looking at the power wheel cycles kids drive but no luck.

like with 75% of this pack it seems to have been referenced by real world items but them scanned and digitally modified, printed/created and cast.

I was looking at the power wheel cycles kids drive but no luck.

like with 75% of this pack it seems to have been referenced by real world items but them scanned and digitally modified, printed/created and cast.

looked at the same one and the Harley bicycle version. I know there is some 1/3 Harley scale stuff out there. If someone has and estimate of width I can figure out the scale verses a real one and see where the puts it.
It actually is missing a couple bolts so it may also be some Harley Knock off toy or something. I would say 3D and casting is the way to go.

I just too another look at the close up image, there is also a Harley finned lower cylinder jug, a starter cap, in that shot, it has to be from some sort of kit. I found a 1/2 scale engine kit already.
Also it can be from a knock off toy.

Last edited:
Okay, I finally get to add to this conversation. The shovel is definitely a modified version of a Ames folding E-Tool (Entrenching Tool) from the period. Actually they haven't changed much over the years, except for the handle, and more recently the addition of some serration on some of the edges. What I've been able to see of the shovel it looks just like the one I was issued in USMC, except for the repo they made does not have the actual mounting bracket that the handle was attached to. The real thing will work, the mount will just look a bit different. I have a second option too, but I really think the design used the folding E-tool, because it was and is very common and would have been in every house after WWII.
$_57 (2).jpeg$_57 (3).jpeg$_57 (4).jpeg$_57 (1).jpeg$_57.jpeg$_57 (1).JPG

The second option is also a WWII Ames E-Tool, but it was the non-folding type, and not used nearly as much as the folding. The advantage, this one does not have the bracket to deal with, but to make it look like the one on the jet pack would require shortening and then cutting into the metal sleeve that the wood handle fits into, cutting out the sides, and just leaving a front and back, and then hammering both of those flat so that you have the "tabs" as in the movie versions.
$_57 (5).jpeg$_57.JPG

So based on the Americana (which is very Disney) of the pieces used in this prop (Electrolux, Schwinn, several American motorcycle and auto companies, and what appears to be a fictitious fire extinguisher company, even called American) I will highly suspect that the shovel head (design at least) was a nod to our WWII heroes. So, that's my two cents. I plan on using the folding one, like this:
$_57 (2).jpeg
Then drilling out the bracket, plugging the holes and then reattaching the bracket at the top edge of the shovel to the two flat pieces to attach with. Hope that all makes sense, and that I've been able to help you in some small way for all the help and inspiration I've absorbed from this very supportive and helpful group of prop nerds. Thanks all.

Usually don't see a pair on Ebay, so this is a good deal. Lots of them on Ebay though. And also check Army Surplus stores. But remember, no serration on the edges.
LOT OF 2 Vintage Folding Military Trench Shovels With Wood
$_57 (2).JPG
Current bid:​
US $34.99
[ 1 bid ]

Place bid

Enter US $35.99 or more

$_57 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well they look awesome and you are definitely going to beat us all done.

That extension from the electrolux railing that comes up onto the lid looks so good, I hate to have to bu another electrolux. Do you think one more could give you the ribbed sides for both tanks since the ribbing is on both sides of the lids.

I got a set of vintage chopper style handle bars for Schwinn stingray, matching the same make as the grips I identified in the movie. I also have some vintage Schwinn brakes. It looks like there is a swivel build into the bar as well as a rotating hinge where the bar meets the pack.

I think the swivel socket would work nicely, looks pretty close, and makes sense with what he would have had on hand.

swivel.jpg

the handlebars seem to be longer in the flight seen, but they are cgi, I will build the shorter ones like in this pic and the pack on display at the El Capitan.

Well they look awesome and you are definitely going to beat us all done.

That extension from the electrolux railing that comes up onto the lid looks so good, I hate to have to bu another electrolux. Do you think one more could give you the ribbed sides for both tanks since the ribbing is on both sides of the lids.
Frank walker came over today and I showed him how I did mine, since they are wide on both sides I used 2 more vacuums, some in all I've used 4 vacuums, but mainly just for those two pieces, but if you had one extra vacuum and didn't care that one side is low and the other thicker then use just one more, I took one lid to make one of those pieces by cutting them and JB welding them together.
4.JPG10.JPGEnds.jpg

Blastmaster, I received my jet nozzles yesterday and they are awesome. Great work and a lot heftier then I was expecting.
Thanks again!
I also received my Olds horn button and my other vacuum so I'll start taking those apart while I wait for the extinguishers to show up. Then I can get going hopefully on this build.

Erick

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back