Tomorrowland

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Goonie, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

2. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've taken on Young Frank's Jet-Pack as my next project. I sourced the two Electrolux Model 30 vacuum cleaners, but could use some help ID'ing any additional found items. (I'm having trouble finding anything on the vintage fire extinguishers -- perhaps made specially to fit inside the Electrolix frames?)

Here are some shots I took at the exhibit, for reference. I ask only that you post here if you have hunches on any of the components:

IMG_20150416_204826.jpg IMG_20150416_211534.jpg IMG_20150416_211550.jpg IMG_20150416_211608.jpg IMG_20150416_211625.jpg

ScribblesOnNapk and Metalman0711 like this.
  3. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

4. Batt

Batt New Member

5. ahuntley

ahuntley New Member

After scrolling through the gallery, I am definitely leaning towards getting a nixie tube clock kit.

6. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

Hi there. I'm also working on one of these jetpacks! So I will be watching and contributing to this thread frequently. Any leads on the straps? And yeah, what the heck are those vents at the bottom. One thing I noticed that isn't seen in these photos, there are two small filing camping shovel heads that are used to block the flames! You can see them in the film easily!

Unrelated to the jetpack, I did track down Casey's NASA baseball cap! http://www.e4hats.com/nasa-insignia...10Cd3KXj0vVk9lvoa-Asxhrneqo-ysEZafBoCBlbw_wcB

Attached Files:

ScribblesOnNapk likes this.
  7. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

The bottom exhaust ports are Blower Scoops from a car. anybody recognize the make or model?

8. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

Attached Files:

ScribblesOnNapk likes this.
  9. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

Here are some screen grabs I just pulled from one of the clips.

I start building mine in a couple weeks, the goal being Comic Con to have it ready. I will post pics as I go once I get started.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

10. Upgrade

Upgrade New Member

I had a vague notion that there would be an Edison phonograph involved since one of the trailers shows Clooney looking over its bell.

I don't have screen grabs, but it looks to be some sort of Edison Standard Phonograph, but the model was unclear.

8558851_1.jpg

Gustave Eiffel does have an apartment on top of the Eiffel Tower, but it seems to only have wax figures of himself and Thomas Edison. No Tesla or Verne (though the restaurant in the tower is called the Jules Verne)

image.jpg

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/gustav-eiffel-s-secret-apartment

The link says that Edison did give one of his phonographs to Eiffel.

On a side note, people today interchange phonograph and gramophone (and victrola) with disc-playing machines.

However, during the turn of the century, phonograph still referred to Edison's cylinder-playing machine, forcing Emile Berliner to create the "gramophone" name for his flat disc machine.

It's a little odd that the characters called the phonograph cylinder as the "Edison tube". Cylinders were known as "records" before the invention of the flat-disc. These flat discs were then called "records" to contrast with "cylinder". Then the term "78" evolved to contrast with vinyl LPs and 45s.

Confusingly, Edison would later market an Edison gramophone that would play his Edison Diamond Discs which were more durable and nearly unbreakable compared to 78s. However, his vertical-cut grooves arguably gave better sound, but were incompatible with other players.

I already had some cylinders that I've been collecting featuring the music of BioShock Infinite.

qAEwDLX.jpg

I only caught a quick glimpse, but I think I could make out "Echo All Over the World" which means it's a slightly older cylinder design, not to be confused with the ones that say only "Edison Record"

edisongoldmoulded.jpg

http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/history-goldmoulded.php

It's an Edison Gold Molded Record. These are rather common to find if you're prop hunting; they were produced from 1902-1912.

Clooney actually correctly handled the cylinder (two fingers inside). The cylinder was black which was accurate to the case. The technology was by then sufficiently advanced enough to avoid have one performer sing multiple times to make enough copies into wax blanks. Later developments actually used celluloid plastic in the Blue Amberols for better durability.

Did they actually find a cylinder that played "La Marseillaise"? The Edison record would indicate an American release as opposed to a French Pathe recording.

It's a little difficult to find "discographies" for cylinders (most books being out of print). The UCSB Cylinder Archive has some possibilities.

http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/search.php?query=la+marseillaise&queryType=@attr+1=1016

11. Mxlplx

Mxlplx Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

12. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

guys, I was looking to ID for the rocket exhaust bottoms for you. I cant seem to find them. They may be some type of old vacuum cleaner water suction attachment.
    I check Cal-custom,Cragar scoop and Thrush exhaust tips. It definitely looks like actual old aluminum with patina. Interesting pieces used. Just caught my eye.

If you try posting on the hamb, if it truly is a vintage car part, someone there may ID for you.

13. Sillof

Sillof Active Member

Does anyone have any idea on what that clear plastic dome in the center could be?

14. Irken Tech

Irken Tech Active Member

Did I just see a Han in Carbonite in one of the trailers on TV?

Update: I guess I did.

http://www.slashfilm.com/tomorrowland-movie-disneyland-connection/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  15. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

These were made custom for the film. They're based off of vintage car transmission scoops, but made at a much smaller scale...

16. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

Interesting transmission for a car or something else? Anyhow lost interest in this movie cause it made Tron 3 go away. Yeah it bugs. But i do like rocket jetpacks.

17. Sillof

Sillof Active Member

Whether the movie was a hit or not my family still enjoyed a lot of it. Nothing can take away my love of the design of this jet pack. I blame Lone Ranger, John Carter, & Prince of Persia just as much for Tron 3 cancellation as well as the future Star Wars prospects and the easy money success of churning out live action adaptations of the old cartoons. In the end Tomorrowland will make back its budget and then some. It is already at made back 133 of it 190 million budget.

18. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

Here's my first pass at the handles... Still missing a few odds and ends obviously, but I think a nice start. Found pvc pipe at Home Depot that had the right shape, also nice for keeping the weight of it down!

20150531_115017.jpg

stuckintraffic2 likes this.
  19. Gixxerfool

Gixxerfool Well-Known Member

I've worked on cars for 20 years and have never heard of a transmission scoop.

Turbodart likes this.
  20. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

Ha! I was thinking the same exact thing. Not sure where he got info from. But i know a few of these guys are hotroddees and i know a lot hotrodding and those are similar to Cragar or Cal Custom parts.

21. Sillof

Sillof Active Member

Those look great Frank.

the handlebars seem to have an elbow joint half way back. seen here.

tomorrowland-envisions-future-jetpacks-670.jpg

The seem much shorter here. Don't know if that means they extend out or if it is a continuity error due to the 1st image being cgi and the 2nd live
    6810177.jpg

Also notice one says Electrolux and the other does not.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  22. Gixxerfool

Gixxerfool Well-Known Member

I don't know everything about cars, not even close. I do love to learn about them in any fashion. Logically, it doesn't add up, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Think of it this way,

In 1964 the automatic was pretty common. I doubt Frank sourced anything brand new. Probably made a lot of parts work that he had or could get cheap. Automatic transmissions haven't changed much since their inception. Pre-1964 the manual transmission was the majority and even the only thing availble at one point. Manuals have not changed all that much either. So the purpose of a transmission scoop jive at any level, but they could have been a thing.

UPDATE: In the interest of full disclosure, I did a cursory glance and found out such and item does exist. Sort of. The only thing I found was for manual transmissions in newer mustangs. They grab air from under the car and funnel it up into the tunnel. It's meant as a track piece. Now, I found nothing for a vintage listing AND it looked nothing like the exhaust pieces on the jet pack. This was more of a bent plate and mounting bracket.

23. Sillof

Sillof Active Member

I believe the grips are Schwinn Stingray grips

s-l1000.jpg

24. nickytea

Bingo!

handle.jpg

25. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

I'd hate to make a bike collector out of you but, if you go to the CABE.com you can posted a wanted ad and find some of those grips on the cheap, I bet the bars are hacked up bars as well. Take a look Wald 898 on amazon, those are about the longest schwinn style bars out there without going full vintage and are of the era, the new ones would be Torrington Steerhorn bars which cost a pretty penny. BTW there are some of those grips on ebay but I would not pay more than 20.00 shipped to make them look crusty.

I still think the jet pack bottoms are actually either vacuum parts or some sort of steam cleaner part.

26. Sillof

Sillof Active Member

That is a great pic nickytea. Thanks

I am using vintage handlebars and brake levers. I picked up these schwinn grips last week for $5. And they come pre-weathered...or dirty

$_57.JPG

- - - Updated

View attachment 484450

Has anyone figured out what that element is below the grips in pic that comes out of the electrolux top.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  27. indianaskywalker

indianaskywalker Well-Known Member

The fire extinguishers may just be casts. I doubt they would use real ones do to the weight of them. My family owns a fire equipment business and no one was able to find out anything on that manufacturer. It may even be PVC or something that they used old fire extinguisher tags from or even made them up themselves based on real ones.
    The turn upside down on the tag indicates that it was an vintage style that used an acid chemical that mixed inside when turned upside down before firing which was common back them.

28. blastmaster

blastmaster Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi Guys, AL here, Just had to start chiming in, I am so glad there are other Members who love this prop, I work in the industry and know the prop house who built the jet pack,
    But so far I haven't ask them anything, I like trying to do it myself, I am sure that it was all molded, so after they made their different parts, molded them so they could make at least 3 of them, and like indianskywalker said for weight, I am about 45% into my build, and other than some top bits and that round planet looking thing in the middle, the Part that is freaking me out is the Jet nozzles, my show is on hiatus and after going to Disneyland about 4 times to go and look at and take pictures of the pac, we have been on the internet for hours trying to find out what it is, well when all else fails 3D print it, so I did, I know they made that thing along with a lot of other parts that I'll get into,
    Can I ask you guys should I post my build here or start a new thread, might be fun to keep it here, but I didn't want to delray the thread.
    Let me know and I'll start posting pictures and my thoughts!!!!
    Thanks,
    AL

29. indianaskywalker

Al, any chance of making up some more printed jet nozzles to sell? I'd be interested in a set as I decided to try and make up a pack myself.
    Not going to go full screen replica on this one, just similar. I'll probably go with pvc for the extinguishers myself and just attach similar tags to it.
    I'd love to see you build and any other tips or part leads you may have.

Erick

30. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

31. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

Where did this photo come from?? Last time I was at the Disneyland exhibit, it didn't have the bars... Great find!

32. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

Here are a couple of photos I found online of the pack at the El Capitan Theater. I'm going tonight, so I will try to get some more photos!!

Tomorrowland 1964 jetpack prop.jpg Tomorrowland franks 1964 jetpack.jpg

33. blastmaster

Thats a great shot of the Bars, This is another pack. I'm sure there where a few, here is the one a Disneyland, and 2nd one from El Capitan, And a shot of my Print of the Mini Scoop!!!
    And I'll just start posting some pics of the Pack I'm making here so we can all chime in and help, and Erick I am molding my Jet Exhaust today and pouring them tomorrow, so lets see how they come out and we'll go from there, but yes I'll sell some to you guys if you like them!!!!
    AL
    D land Jet Pack.JPG El capitan Jet Pac.jpg E 1.JPG E2.JPG E3.JPG

stuckintraffic2 and FrankWalker like this.
  34. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  35. nickytea

Your scoops look great! Count me in if you decide to run off a few extra.

36. indianaskywalker

Cool. I'll be down for a set if you sell them.
    The handle/wheel they are attached to are from a vintage extinguisher from the looks of it?
    Just got my electrolux canisters and schwinn hand grips. Looking for the other parts now.

Erick

37. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

the planet piece may be a hub cab center.

38. nickytea

I'm also taking the "found parts" approach as much as I can, as well -- However, I did just receive confirmation that very few found parts were actually used on the original packs. Apparently some of the bike pieces were, in fact, found items, but everything else, even the Electroluxes and Extinguishers, were 3D modeled based on the items, and then printed/cleaned up/cast. From what I was told, this went for the heroes and stunts, with at least 12 packs being made for the film.

FrankWalker likes this.
  39. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

Trying to figure out the rest of my costume for Comic Con, and always think it's weird when adults dress like little kids. But then I saw this version of the poster! Yay, adult Frank with the jetpack!! haha

TomorrowlandMovie2015.jpeg

40. Sillof

Sillof Active Member

Please count me in on those exhaust ports blademaster

I would say post them all in this thread.

The more I get into this build the more I agree with Nickytea. What attracted me to the build was the found items approach but I am realizing there is a ton of subtle small differences in virtually every element of the pack. Thinks like the electrolux sides with the names, the button cap, the extinguishers, all don't quite match up.

I did realize they replaced the electrolux black button with these Caplugs Cec-10
    $_57.JPG

41. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

I have 50 of those plugs coming if anyone wants any. I will literally just send them to you!

42. indianaskywalker

I'll take a couple of the plugs when you get them. I'll pay shipping if you want.

Erick

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have any other leads on the other parts used? I love her packs but didn't really think about making this one till seeing this thread.
    Thanks for the push guys!

Erick

43. Sillof

Sillof Active Member

The plugs don't fit in the button hole. They piece they fit onto looks custom. It is similar to the electrolux button holder or handle mount but it is a custom piece.

44. blastmaster

I'm with you guys, I am trying to use as many found parts to put it together, If I can get that cool look I'll be Happy, So here are a few things that I've done to try to get things to look correct, Concentrating on the tanks, the tops I found to get them close to their look it took me 4 Vacuums, I had to cut the spines off of one just to make one thick spine coming off the side. I am using real Fire Extinguishers, (not planning on wearing it just displaying), To get the vintage extinguishers to fit I needed to cut part of the back out and squeeze them together they are just a bit to wide, and of course cutting them down to about 9 1/2 inches. So I'll post some pictures for you to check out, the Jet Exhaust nozzle is in the mold right now should be out tomorrow night, then I'll pour a couple and post some pics for you guys, and if you like them I'll make some for every one, we'll figure a far price.
    Here are a few pictures.
    4.JPG 5.JPG 10.JPG 9.JPG 11.JPG 15.JPG E 1.JPG

45. blastmaster

Here a few more, I milled down the Extinguisher handles and cut a hole in them so the Exhaust nozzles will fit inside, I'm going to do a magnet type attachment so they can be take off.
    And the Exhaust ports?, Nozzles? what should we call these things, Exhaust ports sounds pretty good........... In my daughters hand.
    Red Tanks 1.JPG End on Tank.JPG Exhaust nozzle B.jpg Exhaust Nozzle A.JPG Glass res..jpg Red Tanks 2.JPG Bottoms.JPG

46. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

planet thingy is a either a horn ring or horn button, or a hubcap center.
    1950's-1960 Oldsmobile
    Getting close.
    $_57.JPG HC520t.jpg $_57.JPG

bam!!!!!!

button 2.JPG button1.JPG

1950-52 Oldsmobile horn button.

Booyah SUCKAS!!! now get to finding or 3D'ing, also found an image with a scale- your lucky guys!

Pricey ones found here http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/products.asp?dept=55

some ebay too

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  47. blastmaster

You are the Man!!!!!!!!!!! Just ordered one , I'll probably mold this as well, I can't tell you how cool this is!!!!!!! You win this weeks prize!!!!!!
    AL

48. blastmaster

Hey so , I went to that sight and purchased the Blue background one, that I will strip or mold, but then I made an offer on this wheel on Ebay and it was accepted right away so now I have two!!!!Pretty funny!! These are them....
    Planet button 1.jpg Planet button 2.JPG planet button 3.JPG

49. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

I think my new thing is just finding stuff (ID'ing parts for RPF'rs)- beat having to buy it stuff.

BTW the fuel filter is easily found under "GM glass fuel filter sediment bowl" the ebay or google image search.

I think the parts behind the horn button are similar to a V-Twins carb intake parts.

50. blastmaster

Abelugo you are awesome keep it coming!!!! The mold of the Exhaust Nozzle came out great, I just need to do a Pour of the interior so I can make the Nozzles hollow, I poured a solid one just for fun.Here are a few pics and I reworked my glass fuel filter!!!!
    Mold 1.JPG Mold 2.JPG Forst pour 1.JPG First pour 2.JPG glass tres..JPG

FrankWalker likes this.