Kylo Ren Fabric

519Hg+u+aIL.jpg51oSo1RSklL.jpg51ECTr5r9ML.jpg51-ww6jkQlL.jpg

I have more news everyone. the fabric at the convention said black basket weave coated cotton and its also upholstery it shines like that so get good pics of the detail from the display at celebration and go to your local fabric store and show them and use that exact term they should stock it my friend said she's seen it at her local Joanns.

Last edited:
The coating looked to be waxy, and not a sheen. It covered the majority of the cloak; the under tunic was covered along the layered edges, and not in the middle. It seemed as though it had been dry-brushed with wax.

Last edited:
Hmm id have to see a closer picture but the weave doesn't look the same to me but maybe that's just the shot

close up with a frayed edge also

AAPGFlb.jpg

I think this could really work ^^

also the UKFT got back in touch with 2 more suppliers to try for make the fabric !

close up with a frayed edge also

View attachment 468252

I think this could really work ^^

also the UKFT got back in touch with 2 more suppliers to try for make the fabric !

How'd you modify that? If you moved every fiber by hand I don't know if I want to do that for 10-15 yards...The stitches and fray are so perfect though! Let us know when you've got a price per yard on the custom stuff.

I went to JoAnns & Hancock fabrics and didn't come up with much that was noteworthy. Two things are kind of sort of close...

11178523_10153204462710638_1657959555_n.jpg11160320_10153204462755638_180656725_n.jpg

and

11119040_10153204462300638_1624602410_n.jpg11160525_10153204462210638_967264929_n.jpg

The closest thing they had at JoAnns.

Overall I'm pretty bummed.

How'd you modify that? If you moved every fiber by hand I don't know if I want to do that for 10-15 yards...The stitches and fray are so perfect though! Let us know when you've got a price per yard on the custom stuff.

I went to JoAnns & Hancock fabrics and didn't come up with much that was noteworthy. Two things are kind of sort of close...

The closest thing they had at JoAnns.

Overall I'm pretty bummed.

no actually it was REALLY easy the original was 3/3 warp 2 weft

i removed 1 warp thread which was real easy i'd be happy to sit and do it if it made the fabric right haha !!

no actually it was REALLY easy the original was 3/3 warp 2 weft

i removed 1 warp thread which was real easy i'd be happy to sit and do it if it made the fabric right haha !!

OH MY GOSH THAT IS BRILLIANT!
Where was the link to purchase that fabric?

well I've as a precaution bought 10 meters !!

I'll open the floodgates:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/transaction/1024357650

I spoke to the seller it is indeed a left over so it is not an infinite stock but with any luck she has enough for a few !!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/transaction/1024357650

:cool

ENJOY

- - - Updated - - -

Also i found the absolute best reference shot of the costume i've seen yet this guy got a shot BEFORE THE STUPI RED LIGHTS WENT ON !!!

you can actually see the fabric coating in the shot !!

sooo happy right now

rpDvPoC.jpg

i have some black dye on the way i'm also going to Wax my cotton sample and see how it looks !!

Anyone have any idea how to measure yardage/meterage for ones body?

I've never measured myself yardage wise. My seamstress always has done that XD

I sent the seller an inquiry. That's a good price, though a lot of work.

Please don't give up on the custom fabric though. I'm very interested to see a price per yard. If it's not outrageously expensive that would naturally be the best option!

Edit: I've got that reference shot in my photo ref folder. There's also these:

xakzbsQ.jpg

u6BHEje.jpg
LHkPD0n.jpg

i'm still 100% committed to the custom stuff it will be more expensive at which point i'll sell on the 10 meters of manual labour fabric to another here on RPF

Anyone have any idea how to measure yardage/meterage for ones body?

I've never measured myself yardage wise. My seamstress always has done that XD

I always horribly over-estimate because I NEVER want to wind up short. Though honestly knowing the width of the fabric helps you estimate more accurately. I know that 2 yards length-wise will cover my boyfriend's front with a little extra left over. So 4 yards will cover his front and his back. That is how you can guesstimate really, really, quickly. I'm assuming the cloak takes at LEAST 2 yards (I've seriously had cloaks take 6 yards before) but then there is the hood. So I'm guesstimating 3-4 for the cloak and note the hood seems to be "lined" in the same fabric so you'll be making the hood twice. Edit: Personally I'd buy like 10 yards just to be safe if you haven't measured anything out. I know someone who bought 15.

Now, the absolute best but most time consuming way to get an estimate of the fabric you need is to create a mock-up of the outfit. (I use bed sheets from good will) and then lay out your pattern on the floor and measure the length and width. That will give you the absolute, 100%, most accurate measurement you can get!

Edit: This is a good example of a really fast bed-sheet mockup I've done in the past.

1620913_10152254124310638_1865704846_n.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back