Kylo Ren Fabric

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Sni9er, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Sni9er

Sni9er Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

PURCHASE LINK: Black Apprentice Weave

15/01/2019: for anyone looking for my Fabric after 9 months of work I've launched my own website with continuous stock (link above)

Hey Guys

I've been doing some research on the Kylo Ren fabric for the Costume and have been in talks with a Mill about perhaps having some made, of course this would require a minimum order of around 50 Meters which is way more than i'd need i have a question for those building the costume or intending to:

1: Would you be interested in the custom fabric to match the screen used fabric
    2: the Mill asked me for a price per SQ/M i said approximately £15/20 per SQ/M does this sound reasonable/would you pay it

if not please post your thoughts on this as i'd be more than happy to arrange a purchase of a larger quantity for a cheaper price per SQ/M should the interest be there

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 4:44 PM
    NeonGhoul likes this.
  2. Andrewhitc

Andrewhitc Member

If it is screen accurate will be , I'm in

3. MasterEdi

MasterEdi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hit me up! I would be in too!

4. themacalu

themacalu New Member

Interested too

5. The Amazing SM

The Amazing SM Member

Oh hell yes! Totally interested

6. Evil Benius

Evil Benius Active Member

Depending on the accuracy I would be interested. Also I assume you are just talking about the outer layer fabric or are you looking at multiple fabrics on the costume?

7. Sni9er

I'm currently only looking at the main body of fabric as i think the sleeve materiel should be easily to source/find a suitable equivalent the main fabric looks to specific a weave to be easily found so far !

i've ordered a few commercially available samples if they are good enough i'll share that but if we need to go custom weave i just wanted to gauge interest

i'm assuming we'd need about maybe 6/8 meters per costume max anyone else feel free to take a stab at an estimation

8. Elvenguard13

Elvenguard13 New Member

I'd be interested in 6 meters :) I really love Kylo's costume :)

9. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

I'd be in for 6 meters as well if it's the accurate strand width and accurate basket-weave.

- - - Updated - - -

And just an fyi if anybody is looking for the sleeve and midcoat fabric. It's a black donegal pattern wool, I'm pretty sure. It could maybe be merino, but I'm almost positive it's donegal.

10. astralrayn

astralrayn Member

I've got a swatch of Monk's Cloth on the way but if it's not satisfactory I'd be interested in ordering something screen-accurate if the timeframe is correct. I've gotta have everything sewn and built by the end of August.

11. Sni9er

i'm looking at a short timeframe also as i want to get this done ASAP also

12. Kiteera

Kiteera New Member

1. Most definitely interested in acquiring screen-accurate fabric!
    2. If the price lowers a tad then definitely!

I'm tired of trying to find fabric that matches "close enough." Can't wait to see how this develops!

13. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

What do you all think of this?

img_1249.jpg

14. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

That looks like an even-weave.

15. Chicagovader

Chicagovader Sr Member

I would be interested for sure.

16. astralrayn

astralrayn Member

This is correct - though I think in a pinch that would work at a convention. The plaque in Kylo Ren's celebration exhibit lists this garment as "Black basket weave coated cotton". But finding the right basket weave, even in a lighter color that could be dyed, has proven to be a pain in the butt! I've poured a few hours into searching for fabric so far. The closest I've come was the correct weave, but the fabric is "fuzzy" like a velour. Yuck.

17. Sni9er

the weave i've identified is a 3/2 weave (3 warp/2 weft) with a stabilising layer the tricky part is the center yarn which appears to have a metallic sparkle to it i also have a sample arriving soon that might do well as an alternative

The Amazing SM likes this.
  18. astralrayn

astralrayn Member

Oooh that's very interesting! Good eye on the weave, that may help me search more effectively! I noticed what you mean about the metallic sparkle but I thought perhaps that could be the "coated" that they're referring to? I've never heard of "coated cotton" before. I'll be following this thread closely, be sure to post your sample if it's satisfactory!

19. Sni9er

i most certainly will something that might help is the fact we shouldn't necessarily look for black as we can dye as needed

The Amazing SM likes this.
  20. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

Interested based on accuracy and price

21. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Here is the best shot I got of the fabric. DO NOT use this for color... only for the weave.

At 100%:
    [​IMG]

At 50%:
    [​IMG]

At 25%:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Azrael69, JJ Griffin and mvanwalks421 like this.
  22. Art Andrews

See above. The most basic pattern is close, but you have a long way to go.

23. AgentofChaos

AgentofChaos Active Member

I'm definitely interested. It'd be nice if the price was a little lower. but if it's screen accurate I'll get it!

24. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Is his hood the same weave as his robes?

25. Art Andrews

Yes, it is the same material.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

The Amazing SM and JJ Griffin like this.
  26. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

That's huge! Thanks.

27. Art Andrews

Don't have great reference, but here is the arm material and the gloves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Arnianor and JJ Griffin like this.
  28. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Man, is anyone else hungry?

capn.jpg

Art Andrews likes this.
  29. BREAD WARRIOR

BREAD WARRIOR Active Member

I would be in for 6 meters/however much is needed for a costume.

30. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

This fabric looks to be very close to EP1 Maul, and EP2 Anakin cloak.

mvanwalks421 likes this.
  31. Voss626

Voss626 New Member

Count me as interested.

32. astralrayn

astralrayn Member

I've spent the better part of 5 hours today attempting to find ready-made alternative fabrics online that are at least very close. (My kingdom for a fabric district) I almost feel like someone just crochet his whole outfit. Looking at the super large images, it's a really odd weave.

These are the two closest finds. Both are basket weaves and both would need to be dyed and I'm not sure how well they'd take to dye.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D131-LUXURI...WOOL-C0TTON-CHUNKY-BASKET-WEAVE-/181610049939
    $10.43 per 1/2 meter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-yard-EGGP...en-Heavy-Upholstery-Fabric-54-w-/161668981182
    $9.86 per yard

Not sure if either is very helpful. Given the prices I wonder how much it's going to be per yard for someone to custom weave fabric.

mvanwalks421 likes this.
  33. Drunkenmunkey

Drunkenmunkey New Member

My costume maker and I are interested in 6 meters, possibly more.

34. Elvenguard13

Elvenguard13 New Member

I ordered half a meter of this yesterday as well as a black dye. However I read an acidic dye may work better for wool. I'll test out the normal dye and see what happens. Both the fabric and the dye should be here in the next few days.

Does anyone know what sort of coating is on the fabric? Is it some sort of wax or polyurethane?

35. clembot

clembot Active Member

Yeah you'll need acid dye for wool; you may get some dye uptake with a direct dye (Dylon etc) but it'll be touch and go and you might not get the colour you want.

36. Sano

Sano Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd be interested too! :)

37. Sni9er

thanks art thats a great shot !!
    it confirms my suspicion there is a suspension layer in there !!

- - - Updated - - -

also furthermore that shot shows it's actually a 2/2 weave not a 3/2 as i'd originally thought

38. Sni9er

this is certainly not the right fabric yet (wrong weave 3/2) but it's certainly close just awaiting a sample! it has the right interfacing layer from the looks just needs to loose one weft thread haha (which i may just pull out from this if it works hahaha)

vJmeQ7n.jpg

Attached Files:

The Amazing SM and JJ Griffin like this.
  39. darthmac

darthmac New Member

I would be very interested if this is accurate. Probably around 10 meters.

40. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm assuming that by coating they are referring to the fact that this material is coat weight not coated as in finish.

41. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can see a few issues with the publicly available basket weave options. Many of them are blends that require special dye processes. You can generally buy dye for natural or synthetic fibers and it may not work effectively on both simultaneously. (Also keep in mind that wool can react badly to heat and/or washing machines.) The weave is also pretty large in the real fabric- something that will be very difficult to find commercially, especially in a fabric that is soft, with enough drape for a cloak. (Most of the large-weave stuff you find is stiff upholstery-fabric.) Even the white cotton/wool above seems to have a smaller weave than would be needed. Then you still have the issue of reflectivity. To me it looks like it's polyurethane coated. Might even be that the coating changes depending on thread direction since it seems to be reacting differently to the light.

If you can get a mill to do accurate stuff I doubt you would have a problem moving 50 meters of it. (I'd probably get a batch too if it happens fairly soon.)

Oh.. and this thread should probably move to the classifieds, no?

42. astralrayn

astralrayn Member

The plaque did say "coated cotton" - I was assuming it was either some sort of water proof coating or something to keep his cloak from fraying any more than they wanted to. Given that loose knit I feel like it would really start to fall apart if they didn't put something on it to keep it from doing so.

43. Idaho Jones

Idaho Jones Well-Known Member

For reference, I pulled out a remnant from my Tusken build, this is washed Monks Cloth

[​IMG]

44. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

A couple of the people that attended said that it had a metallic or pearlescent hue to it. So my best guess is that it is metallic coated cotton fibers. They do that by mixing metallic powder and a binding agent, and spraying the fibers with it prior to weaving. If that is the case... it's not going to be cheap to have that done.

45. Sni9er

i'll set up a separate thread once i get that far for now this is still open discussion on the spec so i'm happy if everyone else is to keep it here and visible

46. Sni9er

I've also got in touch with the UK Fabric guild who might also be able to help in our hunt !

one mill has bowed out as they'd need to do 500m minimum others will take less still progressing more news as soon as i have it ^^

47. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh I gotcha. I can't really see the sheen too much, I thought it was just the lighting from the display case

48. astralrayn

astralrayn Member

I'm really enjoying this thread so far, I'd rather not have it moved to classifieds until we actually have an order, price, and date! Because in the meantime we can share reference photos and discuss alternate fabric. Who knows, we may luck out and find the perfect fabric online somewhere.

I noticed this fabric this morning: http://www.fabricguru.com/p-fabricut/woven-upholstery-fabric-pewter-black

Buuuut it's sold out. And no idea if the weave was a large enough width or if the fabric was loose enough to drape properly.

49. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

What's the total length we have people in for at this point? I haven't calculated it, but with all this interest we've got to be around 50m now, right?

50. Sni9er

i'm sure we could probably pull about 100 meters of interest from what i've seen