TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

For grips and kobold. It was established grips use rivets right? Or is it still not clear?

lol it will never be clear lol. I believe they are rivets, and will be using rivets on my TFA tribute saber. last i talked to Roy he believed the rivets for the grips were 5-6mm. i got my kobold from Roy (www.wannawanga.com) his kobold comes with 2 rivets to secure it with. his rivets i think match perfectly. dont hold me to this, but i mic'ed the heads once looking for matching rivets here in the states and they mic'ed out at 7.50mm i couldn't find a rivet at lowes with the matching contour like Roy has. you best bet for accuracy is contacting him and seeing if he will sell you the rivets alone if you already have the kobold. if you dont, grab a kobold from him and call it a day ;)

lol it will never be clear lol. I believe they are rivets, and will be using rivets on my TFA tribute saber. last i talked to Roy he believed the rivets for the grips were 5-6mm. i got my kobold from Roy his kobold comes with 2 rivets to secure it with. his rivets i think match perfectly. dont hold me to this, but i mic'ed the heads once looking for matching rivets here in the states and they mic'ed out at 7.50mm i couldn't find a rivet at lowes with the matching contour like Roy has. you best bet for accuracy is contacting him and seeing if he will sell you the rivets alone if you already have the kobold. if you dont, grab a kobold from him and call it a day ;)

Thanks! You know come to think about it, I have his kobold from an ESB set I bought, lol. Silly me, I forgot it came with rivets :lol. But either way, I still need the grip rivets.

What size rivets would one use?

In ESB the Kobold clip was secured with 4mm pop rivets. Their heads nearly touch each other. The 3mm holes in the Kobold clip need to be enlarged for them.
In TFA though, the rivet heads are smaller, around 6mm, which means they've used 3mm pop rivets, the same as on the grips and without the need to modify the Kobold holes.

not to sound rude, but this picture seals the deal for me. there is defiantly some kind of reflective material on the bottom of the tube, u can clearly see the reflection of the D-ring in it.

You are probably right. The endcap looks slightly "wrinkly" a few frames later, which initially made me think that they didn't cover it up after all, but that might be a result of image compression.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-01 um 19.30.49.png

Well, I believe I have the most accurate TFA "layout" I can produce...

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/Clampcard/sloth_tfav2_prototype_ss_clamp.jpg

I had a few of these made up to test the pattern layout, and I think it's as good as I can make it. However, it does not have a transparent / translucent base, and they silver soldered the thin traces at the factory for some reason.

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/Clampcard/sloth_tfav2_prototype_ss.jpg

I'll be selling this short run of these on my page at www.slothfurnace.com if anyone is interested, I have about thirty on hand.

The other side of the card is blank, no traces. It allows a bit more light to bounce around in there, but it's not transparent. The gold plating on these are really nice, too.

Your card looks really good!A friend of mine has all the equipment to etch his own circuit boards. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from China and will try to etch copper onto acrylic glass. If it works out like I hope it does, I might have a lot of leftover cards as well (no sense in buying equipment to just make one card). I will keep you guys updated. :)

Last edited:
A friend of mine has all the equipment to etch his own circuit boards. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from China and will try to etch copper onto acrylic glass. If it works out like I hope it does, I might have a lot of leftover cards as well (no sense in buying equipment to just make one card). I will keep you guys updated. :)

I"ll be up for an accurate board lol. Let us know!

I"ll be up for an accurate board lol. Let us know!

Sure will!
I'm currently trying to figure out the correct thickness of the boards. I measured the "clamp-slot" of my original Graflex to be about 2 mm (0,08") deep... So that's what I'm aiming for. I suppose you can sand them down at the edges and create a tight fit without ruining the finish, but that's something I will test. :)

Is there a universally accepted thickness that is considered "screen accurate"?

This is the layout I threw together in Illustrator:
Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-08 um 04.10.43.png

And this is the milky acrylic that I ordered from eBay... Haven't received anything yet, but the material looks close.
$_57.JPG

Last edited:
Sure will!
I'm currently trying to figure out the correct thickness of the boards. I measured the "clamp-slot" of my original Graflex to be about 2 mm (0,08") deep... So that's what I'm aiming for. I suppose you can sand them down at the edges and create a tight fit without ruining the finish, but that's something I will test. :)

Is there a universally accepted thickness that is considered "screen accurate"?

This is the layout I threw together in Illustrator:
View attachment 622508

And this is the milky acrylic that I ordered from eBay... Haven't received anything yet, but the material looks close.
View attachment 622509

I think Slothfurnace got it pretty close, too bad he can't do the translucent card.

I bought one of these and must say it looks great! I almost regret not buying a second one to play around with. Hard to explain but the light does come through more in this version than the originals.

You are probably right. The endcap looks slightly "wrinkly" a few frames later, which initially made me think that they didn't cover it up after all, but that might be a result of image compression.

View attachment 620813

Your card looks really good!A friend of mine has all the equipment to etch his own circuit boards. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from China and will try to etch copper onto acrylic glass. If it works out like I hope it does, I might have a lot of leftover cards as well (no sense in buying equipment to just make one card). I will keep you guys updated. :)

Chrome tape would look like this, its reflective and can get wrinkled.

Thanks, guys.

I don't really have an issue starting up a run of pommel covers. Only thing is we don't normally stock 0.040" aluminum at the shop, so a run would be done with 0.063" (1.5mm) aluminum. Not sure if the extra thickness is a deal breaker for anyone.

There's also the matter of me bumping up my post count and sorting out that subscription, hahah.

Also, speaking of the circuit boards, we've got a bunch of clear acrylic here. I can try experimenting with sanding the backside or applying frosted vinyl to advise anyone wanting to try a DIY solution for the translucent board.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back