Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade

You can tell which blades are spinning and which aren't. The spinning ones have a black line that shows up every now and then.

Understood. What I was trying to suggest was that a non spinning blade automatically should assumed as a round blade.

- - - Updated - - -

You can tell which blades are spinning and which aren't. The spinning ones have a black line that shows up every now and then.

Understood. What I was trying to suggest was that a non spinning blade automatically should assumed as a round blade.

Very informative on the artifacts of the rotating blades!

By by the way, what I meant earlier - I knew the non-graflex had black on the emitter for Vader to use. In its current state, the black is lower on the emitter than before, like it was reapplied closer to where the glass eye used to be. The old set screw in the body, where an Allen bolt is now, wasn't covered by black before and now it's in the "zone". It's peeling off now, but I noticed the difference :)

That line is the seam of the Scotchlite reflective tape that the blade rods were covered with. It shows up depending on which way the actor is holding the prop. The Scotchlite material reflects light the same way, whether it is spinning or sitting still. The rods were round with flattened sides, not square.

They kept breaking on New Hope so were never used on Empire.

Last edited:
I'll leave these here for reference.

lukeobigraflex2_scottjua.jpg

lukeobigraflex_scottjua.jpg

obicantina_scottjua.jpg

Clearly not the seam of the reflective material. I was under the impression that at least 1 side of the squared rod was colored black to give it a flickering effect.

That line is the seam of the Scotchlite reflective tape that the blade rods were covered with. It shows up depending on which way the actor is holding the prop. The Scotchlite material reflects light the same way, whether it is spinning or sitting still. The rods were round with flattened sides, not square.

They kept breaking on New Hope so were never used on Empire.

Clearly not the seam of the reflective material. I was under the impression that at least 1 side of the squared rod was colored black to give it a flickering effect.

As an average fan with a fancy for for Star Wars props, I've heard a few things in interviews, I also heard a few things on this board. It's all mixed up in my head so I have no idea what info is fact and what is speculation. I know this sounds bad but I also tend to take those who made the original props with a grain of salt because I simply believe that for the most part it was just a job for them and they never thought much about it until many years later when asked to recall the details. In short, I think their memory could be sketchy.

Anyhow from what I heard over the years is basically what Kurtyboy has stated. Flat side rod with at least one ( I also heard two opposite) side(s) left unpainted. The reflective material I heard was used was that used for projector screens. Since it was stated it was painted, I am assuming it is the paint used for projector screens. I was told the rod was square. I guess that can mean four sides but I also am open to believe it could be round with flat sides or square with round ends.

One other thing I heard that I never saw proven was that one side of the painted side was not painted at the top 4 inches to give the blade a flicker upwards as well. However from the pictures, it looks more like the top 4 inches of the blade are completely covered one all sides as to not have any flicker in that area. But hard to say, for all I know, it could be dark on a side I cannot see.

Historically I was led to believe that the blade was going to be a total practical effect. The rotoscoping was only done when Lucus was not happy with the practical effect. They said on film it looked like what it was... reflective material on a spinning blade. I can only assume that originally the blades were all going to be white, but as stated, I am assuming. Anyhow, it would be logical to believe that since that spinning rods were no longer key to the effect, they no longer utilized flat sided rods for that reason and not because they were breaking. From what I understand, the carbon rods used in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi did break and not only that, emit dangerous shards. Which is why they opted for plastic wrapped aluminum rods in the prequels. Safer to bend rather than break.

...ok.... That's what I have heard/recall. I have no idea how much of that is correct. Nevertheless, a really interesting topic.

Where's Lonepigeon? He always has something insightful.

Last edited:
This saber is, I think, the one Luke is holding on the cover of the 'Making of ESB' book.

I always thought that was a flashgun. You can see bunny-ears above the red button here:
ESBfence.jpg

albeit - This graflex clamp is also covered in Gaffer tape :D those clamps really must have hurt

I always thought that was a flashgun. You can see bunny-ears above the red button here:
View attachment 464973

albeit - This graflex clamp is also covered in Gaffer tape :D those clamps really must have hurt

I thought the same thing but I'm not sure if those are bunny ears or just a reflection of the studio lights on the round tube surface making double highlights that look like bunny ears. I can see the red button easily, and the clamp and grips match this saber. If it was one of the Graflex sabers there should be a small square hole above the bunny ears.

Lonepigeon a.k.a. Chris Trevas is currently signing his lovely art-pictures at STAR WARS CELEBRATION in Anaheim ... I concur with all of the above arguments mentioned and have nothing to add ... for once :)

Chaim

I thought the same thing but I'm not sure if those are bunny ears or just a reflection of the studio lights on the round tube surface making double highlights that look like bunny ears. I can see the red button easily, and the clamp and grips match this saber. If it was one of the Graflex sabers there should be a small square hole above the bunny ears.
good point, really good point actually. That would mean the thing on the right is one of those Allen head bolts.

Last edited:
Related to those pics and not the original tube-stunt:

can graflex bunny ears be pushed through? To make a larger ring, maybe to stretch around a larger stunt blade? That was my gut reaction when I saw the shortened ears.

and that might be an Allen bolt on the fuzzy photo, on the upper body of the graflex...

Related to those pics and not the original tube-stunt:

can graflex bunny ears be pushed through? To make a larger ring, maybe to stretch around a larger stunt blade? That was my gut reaction when I saw the shortened ears.

and that might be an Allen bolt on the fuzzy photo, on the upper body of the graflex...

If the pin that holds the bunny ears to the body is removed, the ears can be pushed in (completely, if you choose, which would remove them from the Graflex body entirely). But removing the pin/rivet will leave them completely unsecured.

I think it would be more likely that there was some trimming down of the bunny ears, or complete new fabrication of a bunny ears-like part. The actual round clamping portion of the bunny ears can be made to encompass a greater circumference, but I don't know what the breaking point is when doing so.

Also, the diameter of that blade does not appear that it would require the bunny ears' emitter portion to be stretched much if at all.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back