Deadpool movie suit research thread *NEW PICS*

Have we came to any conclusion on good fabric choices? This seems to be the craziest costume to get fabric for. Ive seen cosplayers pages on facebook that reply they dont know what fabric they used when they found a good looking fabric. LOL

Have we came to any conclusion on good fabric choices? This seems to be the craziest costume to get fabric for. Ive seen cosplayers pages on facebook that reply they dont know what fabric they used when they found a good looking fabric. LOL

Honestly the fabric is most probably a custom print on spandex (maybe even a neoprene), but something a little bit thicker than found in morphs, this might be a good option http://www.ebay.com/itm/301886402390 Robert Kaufman Bisou Stretch Pique Apparel Christmas Fabric B159 Red
RobertStretch.jpg
I'm gonna try a test suit in it, see how it comes out.

Last edited:
Honestly the fabric is most probably a custom print on spandex (maybe even a neoprene), but something a little bit thicker than found in morphs, this might be a good option http://www.ebay.com/itm/301886402390 Robert Kaufman Bisou Stretch Pique Apparel Christmas Fabric B159 Red
View attachment 599130

I initially had a concern with this pattern because the seller never identifies the size of it. I was thinking I could order it and then it shows up with like 3 diamonds per inch kinda thing. The Robert Kaufman site didn't have this red anymore, but the white was similar and it had a ruler on the picture.

fabric.jpg

So not bad :thumbsup.

The guy that made the suit for the movie was on the RPF Facebook page a couple weeks ago and spilled the beans. It's thick spandex with a 3d silk screen pattern printed onto it. Mystery solved. The black portions were real leather. El Fett on here is using the same principle on his suit build.

- - - Updated - - -
I initially had a concern with this pattern because the seller never identifies the size of it. I was thinking I could order it and then it shows up with like 3 diamonds per inch kinda thing. The Robert Kaufman site didn't have this red anymore, but the white was similar and it had a ruler on the picture.
So not bad :thumbsup.
I bought some Kaufman fabric. It can pass for the same fabric used on the movie suit. You'd have to weather it. God Save The Queen (another Facebook page) is making a suit using this fabric. It looks nice. Her pictures make the fabric look brighter than it is.

The guy that made the suit for the movie was on the RPF Facebook page a couple weeks ago and spilled the beans. It's thick spandex with a 3d silk screen pattern printed onto it. Mystery solved. The black portions were real leather. El Fett on here is using the same principle on his suit build.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought some Kaufman fabric. It can pass for the same fabric used on the movie suit. You'd have to weather it. God Save The Queen (another Facebook page) is making a suit using this fabric. It looks nice. Her pictures make the fabric look brighter than it is.

Yeah im not concerned with 100% identical, just something that looks close vs just spandex. Just seen quite a few fabrics pop up that look nice but then no one says what they are. lol

I have this material, hardly any stretch at all. I have close ups of it here

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=245585&highlight=Deadpool+suit

View attachment 599130

This may end up being a waste of time, but I was thinking about the fabric and screen printing. Without going ahead and buying a bunch of screen printing stuff, I decided to try something a little outside the box and see if there was a cheaper solution

Regular window screen has small squares that may work for a stencil.

screen.JPG

I think most people have some of this already or can find it in the garbage somewhere. If not, rolls of screen are in the 5-10 dollar range at hardware or home improvement stores.

I had some screen already and also had some puff paint, so I just filled every other square with the paint and let it dry. I finally understand what the Spiderman guys go through with the puff paint.

screen paint.JPG

With a sufficient area that has the checker pattern finally, I can move forward with testing a few methods to do some poor man's screen printing. With the screen over the fabric as a stencil, I'm going to try out covering it with some fabric paint from a spray can, try just using spray paint to tint the fabric with the checker pattern, and lastly, use a brush to spread puff paint over it. Hopefully, at least one of these methods work, but I'm also fairly prepared for none to work. :D

This may end up being a waste of time, but I was thinking about the fabric and screen printing. Without going ahead and buying a bunch of screen printing stuff, I decided to try something a little outside the box and see if there was a cheaper solution

Regular window screen has small squares that may work for a stencil.

View attachment 600563

I think most people have some of this already or can find it in the garbage somewhere. If not, rolls of screen are in the 5-10 dollar range at hardware or home improvement stores.

I had some screen already and also had some puff paint, so I just filled every other square with the paint and let it dry. I finally understand what the Spiderman guys go through with the puff paint.

View attachment 600562

With a sufficient area that has the checker pattern finally, I can move forward with testing a few methods to do some poor man's screen printing. With the screen over the fabric as a stencil, I'm going to try out covering it with some fabric paint from a spray can, try just using spray paint to tint the fabric with the checker pattern, and lastly, use a brush to spread puff paint over it. Hopefully, at least one of these methods work, but I'm also fairly prepared for none to work. :D
This looks like it could produce a surprisingly good result for what it is hope it works out for you mate

Skickat från min Nexus 7 via Tapatalk

Okay, so here's the update to the few methods I tried.

First is the sprayable fabric paint.

fabricpaint 1.JPGfabricpaint 4.JPGfabricpaint 2.JPGfabricpaint 3.JPG

I don't even want to talk about it, but I will. It was the worst. I got this paint from Walmart and it doesn't even work right. It constantly goes from spray, to stream, back to spray. I couldn't get a consistent spread and it was super liquidy. It ended up being a red puddle, and as soon as I got the screen cleaned off, I threw everything away and washed my hands. Don't use this method.

Next was puff paint.

puffy paint 1.JPGpuffy paint 2.JPG

I don't have a picture of the process, but I squeezed some paint into a cup, and brushed it on. It started out pretty good. I pulled the screen off and hung the piece of fabric to dry. I had heard about puff paint bleeding if you don't dry it immediately, and that's what happen. It was probably a cross between the fabric being to thin and the amount of puff paint I pushed into the fabric, but I didn't dry it fast enough, and it seemed to keep soaking into the spandex. The checker pattern ended up being pretty hard to see and the fabric feels stiff. Just infused with paint and no longer stretchy. Kind of disappointing.

I think if it was put on very thin for a first layer, put under a fan or flash dryer, then given a second coat and dried again that would be better.

The third, and actually the best looking, was the spray paint. I just used some Krylon Fusion I had.

spraypaint 1.JPGspraypaint 2.JPGspraypaint 3.JPGspraypaint 4.JPG

I did about 3-4 coats of red, which just disappeared into the spandex. When I was done with the red, I tried out the brown Krylon I had for fun. Interesting to see the shading. I liked that the paint wasn't super wet, so I could wait a couple minutes between layers and know it would stay put with no bleeding. When all was said and done, the spandex lost a little flex, but for the most part, unaffected. The pattern is nice, too, for a subtle change to plain red. But once you get close to the fabric, there's no texture. That would be enough to turn some people off.

All in all, I'd say to spend the money for some of the nice textured fabrics that are posted in any of the Deadpool threads. The spandex was $2 for 1x2 yards, the spray paint is about $5, and the screen is $0-$10. It's a lot cheaper, but only if your time is worthless. The amount of time that goes into filling the screen takes a while, for sure.

I hope that helps someone.

and here's an idea of what it looks like on my face with my son's Deadpool eyes. It's the best I could do while barely being able to see. haha

fabric face.JPG

So as I've been working on my costume let me share my polished MT225, about 30 mins with a wet sanding with a sanding sponge:

Let me add what I know about the 5.11 gear:

Boots: 5.11 skyweight side zip boots ( I owned these previously for work... the zipper really does suck!)
Webbing Belt: 2x 5.11 model 59551 TDU belt (stitched together with a bulkstrap sliplock ms15 in front of the L and R the molle drop rig)
Molle dropleg thigh rig: 2x 5.11 586733 thigh rig (top straps cut away, middle overlapped and stitched together to narrow by roughly 2", belt quick connect clips removed and replaced with belt loops to raise carry height, 6x chicago screw rivets added to each rig)
Magazine pouch: 5.11 double magazine pouch for Sierra Bravo duty belt

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back