Various OT lightsaber WannaWanga parts (new ALU MPP shroud)

I received your new cut clamp a few days ago Roy - thanks it's great - amazing work as ever!
Do you think you'll ever make an engraved one too? I reckon the actual prop doesn't have it cut all the way through as when your new clamp is fitted the sections between the cuts slip and move when holding the prop - I'm sure they wouldn't have had that on the real prop - what do you reckon? :)

With Roman's Graflex replicas not far away, I'm getting back into looking at finishing a few of my sabers.

Roy, I know you used to do the Vader ESB kits, and I'm so glad I got in when you were still doing the shrouds – I (and others) may have asked this before, but has the Vader clamp ever been on the radar?
Now that Blast-Tech seems to have disappeared entirely, and TCSS seems to be absolutely ridiculous at restocking things, any sources I know of are very limited.
It's the one part I'm missing to complete my Vader ESB, as I've got your shroud, button, tracks, and wire.

If you're not planning to release one any time soon, does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find one?
The biggest problem I have with TCSS is that their $35 clamp comes with $50 shipping, and the conversion rate turns that into well over $100 dollaridoos. Which I just cannot justify, unfortunately. But if holding out a while gets me some WannaWanga quality, I'm down for that.

HELP ME OBI-ROY KENOBI!

Roman will be doing an MPP, which might mean he will sell separate clamps

I received your new cut clamp a few days ago Roy - thanks it's great - amazing work as ever!
Do you think you'll ever make an engraved one too? I reckon the actual prop doesn't have it cut all the way through as when your new clamp is fitted the sections between the cuts slip and move when holding the prop - I'm sure they wouldn't have had that on the real prop - what do you reckon? :)

I don't know! The thin stripes between the cuts keep their position wonderfully well when installed. Engraving would only be possible by cnc milling. I'm not planning to offer that. With 2 options available I believe it's enough :)

With Roman's Graflex replicas not far away, I'm getting back into looking at finishing a few of my sabers.

Roy, I know you used to do the Vader ESB kits, and I'm so glad I got in when you were still doing the shrouds – I (and others) may have asked this before, but has the Vader clamp ever been on the radar?
Now that Blast-Tech seems to have disappeared entirely, and TCSS seems to be absolutely ridiculous at restocking things, any sources I know of are very limited.
It's the one part I'm missing to complete my Vader ESB, as I've got your shroud, button, tracks, and wire.

If you're not planning to release one any time soon, does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find one?
The biggest problem I have with TCSS is that their $35 clamp comes with $50 shipping, and the conversion rate turns that into well over $100 dollaridoos. Which I just cannot justify, unfortunately. But if holding out a while gets me some WannaWanga quality, I'm down for that.

HELP ME OBI-ROY KENOBI!

I'm sorry. I won't be offering clamps. For small quantities I don't think I can offer them for a competitive price. Especially with Roman possibly offering them in the future, it wouldn't make sense. Besides, shipping them to the majority of the customers in the US would be expensive.

PATIENCE MY FRIEND!

Damn Roy, that was a quick delivery! I'm impressed!

I started off trying it with the Roman's clamp, and was a little pissed off, as it didn't line up at all. This is a clamp from 2-3 years ago, so I don't know whether that's got anything to do with it. Has Roman slightly changed his sizing since he started offering full Graflex replicas?

I didn't take any photos as I was concentrating more on not ruining the cover, but it was completely off. It SORT OF lined up with the cutouts on one side of the clamp, but was totally misaligned on the other.

Then I tried with my Parks v1 clamp. The photos speak for themselves, it's near perfect, and certainly good enough for me.

It's still got its ANH grips, so that'll be the next job...

Thanks man!

15935485_10154759124721420_1911828885_o.jpg15942975_10154759124891420_253624654_o.jpg

Last edited:
Got my clamp cover and other parts, thanks! I noticed the cover doesn't have the brushes look your stamped cover had, would this easily take to a scotch brite pad?

I started off trying it with the Roman's clamp, and was a little pissed off, as it didn't line up at all. This is a clamp from 2-3 years ago, so I don't know whether that's got anything to do with it. Has Roman slightly changed his sizing since he started offering full Graflex replicas?

I didn't take any photos as I was concentrating more on not ruining the cover, but it was completely off. It SORT OF lined up with the cutouts on one side of the clamp, but was totally misaligned on the other.

Then I tried with my Parks v1 clamp. The photos speak for themselves, it's near perfect, and certainly good enough for me.

Thanks man!

You're welcome! Thanks for posting this. Looks great!

Protip, don't bend the tabs on your clamp covers, then bend them back. I accidentally bent them before going over mine with a scotchbrite to get the brushed look so I bent them back to get it flat again, bend them again and it snapped off :/ Totally my fault, but just be sure you dont need to bend it back, you get one shot!

Last edited:

Thanks man!

View attachment 696373View attachment 696374

I have read that Roys clamp cover does fit well with Romans clamp and now reading that it doesn't! I have just ordered a clamp from Roman so am wondering which comment is true :confused

I have read that Roys clamp cover does fit well with Romans clamp and now reading that it doesn't! I have just ordered a clamp from Roman so am wondering which comment is true :confused

I think that depends on which clamp you have. "Roman's clamp" isn't a single clamp. I know of at least 3, not including logo-less and chrome, but have no idea how they differ in fitment WRT the covers.

It can be tricky. Roman had clamps in the past, he's had pre ordered clamps (shiny ones) and now clamps that come with the graflex

I have a collected almost every version. I only need to test it on one more but this is what I came up with

Roys cover fits a vintage flawless

Romans pre order clamp, the square holes line up perfect. The long oval needs some filing. Here's a picture for example

04965b4695f4f433b6f2eaf90c86248a.jpg

Again this isn't the end of the world to me, unlike many other people flipping out over stuff. A simple rat tail file on romans clamp and you would never know the difference

What I need to figure out is how to make it tighter. It seems the pre order clamp is a little smaller in diameter
e4001f2627c46adc12b3865f96b21b1c.jpg

I filed the section on the fold of the clamp cover where the lever screws through to try and make it fight tighter but no luck... next weekend I'm going to cut the fold Tabs off and try some kind of bonding material (e6000, epoxy something) to glue the cover to the clamp

Again this isn't me knocking anyone's product, to me it's not a big deal. And I think many members forget that there's some elbow grease you have to put into replica making. It's not all "plug and play"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that depends on which clamp you have. "Roman's clamp" isn't a single clamp. I know of at least 3, not including logo-less and chrome, but have no idea how they differ in fitment WRT the covers.

I ordered a logo standard clamp I believe. I'll check on the fit when the clamp arrives and update here :)

It can be tricky. Roman had clamps in the past, he's had pre ordered clamps (shiny ones) and now clamps that come with the graflex

I have a collected almost every version. I only need to test it on one more but this is what I came up with

Roys cover fits a vintage flawless

Romans pre order clamp, the square holes line up perfect. The long oval needs some filing. Here's a picture for example

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170109/04965b4695f4f433b6f2eaf90c86248a.jpg

Again this isn't the end of the world to me, unlike many other people flipping out over stuff. A simple rat tail file on romans clamp and you would never know the difference

What I need to figure out is how to make it tighter. It seems the pre order clamp is a little smaller in diameter
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170109/e4001f2627c46adc12b3865f96b21b1c.jpg

I filed the section on the fold of the clamp cover where the lever screws through to try and make it fight tighter but no luck... next weekend I'm going to cut the fold Tabs off and try some kind of bonding material (e6000, epoxy something) to glue the cover to the clamp

Again this isn't me knocking anyone's product, to me it's not a big deal. And I think many members forget that there's some elbow grease you have to put into replica making. It's not all "plug and play"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info Halliwax. I will check when it arrives and try to adjust the cover if necessary :thumbsup

halliwax thanks for your help on this info. I will verify myself as well. I also have Roman's older clamp from his OB1 saber. I'll check that one too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put my clamp cover from Roy on my new Roman Graflex the other day. All of the holes lined up perfectly for me including the slot with rounded ends. There was very slight bulging on the sides, similar to Halliwax's picture above, but not quite as pronounced as his. Not enough to notice when assembled.

Not that anyone cares, but on a custom saber I put one of Roy's covers over a shapeways-printed acrylic clamp repro and it worked fine.

Still cant decide if I like the stamped or cut lines better on the cover. I like the look of the cutouts, but even when tight, you can kind of pull and bend the lines around when on the clamp because theyre so thin. I would think the screen used one would have a few of those bent from so much use, unless it was glued down really good.

IMG_9774.JPG.jpeg

But then how do you get those thin lines glued down without excess coming out from the cut grooves. Even double sided tape would eventually get gunked up in the exposed grooves.

Last edited:
I have Roy's debossed clamp cover from his first run and I thought I would prefer the cut style, but now that I have the debossed one on my RE flash I REALLY like it. :thumbsup

I also wanted to say I tested Roys cover on a larbel graflex and it fits pretty good

Also I think it roys color matches perfectly
e45635441978a2c37ecc3db7355dc9c3.jpg

f624adef8d511f7ebc2e0006e478c83e.jpg

i think the color of the clamp matches perfectly
12.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back