1/24th Scale Y-Wing Fighter, a Red Jammer Custom

Avanaut

In March 2014 I managed to purchase one of the super rare Nice-N Red Jammer kits I had been after for over two years. I bought it a few months before Nice-N models announced a shutdown and cancellation of all the subsequent Y-wing kits. It was devastating news, I really wanted to have the Gold Leader as well.

A newly arrived Nice-N Red Jammer and a Finemolds Y-wing for size comparison.

To start the build I had to take a deep breath as I have not built a studio scale model before nor have I built a resin kit before. I am up for a steep learning curve in order to pull this off. First I took all the time I needed to get familiar with the bits and pieces of the kit, I read Jason Eaton's instructions over and over and fondled the bits and bobs for week after week. In June 2014 I patiently started cleaning the parts from flash and whatnot. Originally I did have a plan to make this a Red Jammer build, then I figured it would have to be a gold squadron paint scheme, perhaps something in the line of the Y-wing referred to as the "Tiger Sprocket", the one with the orange panel on the front top left of the cockpit. There were supposed to be one major structural alteration to the model and that was inserting an astromech unit in the place of the Lanc turret. This will not be a permanent change, though, the Lanc turret part can be changed back to it's place whenever I decide to revert to that version. Then I also bought one vintage model kit to spice the model up just a notch with a couple of add-ons. The 1/35 Tamiya 8Rad was perfect for this as it was actually used as a source of parts when building the original models. The astromech I aim to use is a 3D printed model I found from shapeways.com. It's really nice but very realistic and due to small scale actually lacks some of the finest detail which has to be painted in.

The shapeways' 3D printed astromech.

With the changes it's not really "studio scale" anymore, that's why I started this thread in General Modeling forum.

In August 2014 I started the assembly by prepping the aluminium armature with five mounting points. It went together well with the two hull pieces. Some extra work had to be done adding the wires for all the necessary lighting, but basically everything fit nicely in the prefab grooves within the hull structure.

kuva.JPG

Wiring and mounting points with Panavise Micro Mount bits. A test fitting.

In the light of some experiences of other Red Jammer builders I cut the resin cockpit support from the armature and replaced it with ABS/styrene support for sag free structure.

kuva7.JPG

This resin cockpit support bit is known to sag over time and warm temps, I replaced it with rigid tube.

The Saturn engine cans had some slight warpage and cracks. I added internal supports to straighten the resin and to make it more rigid.

kuva 1.JPG
kuva 2.JPG

The big resin Saturn parts had minor issues, easy to fix.

This bird has to be able to sit and I need to add landing gear to it. It'll be removable pieces, easily switched between flying and landing configuration with the magic of neodyme magnets. Determining the opening spaces for the engine landing gears was not the easiest of things. I checked reference from the full size mock-up they built in London for the Yavin hangar scenes but it was inconclusive, the references I could find, stills from Bluray and behind-the-scenes photos, did not reveal this exactly. I also checked the Finemolds 1/72 model for reference but eventually decided to just wing it together, this was not going to be a faithful replica anyway. I cut holes to the cans with the idea that when the landing gear were retracted, no visible landing gear placement would be seen, dirt and soot would conceal possible seams as if there were no landing gear to begin with in the model. For landing configuration I am planning to construct something that resembles the coverless Finemolds solution but with the funny flaps seen on the full size filming mock-up. I'll get to that later. The engines as well as the internal supports for the landing gears went together without any hassle, as far as I can see, they seem to be straight, too.

Y with Lego.JPG

Basic parts in place, the head not glued. The Lego pilot is obligatory.

Then I added the greeblies to the body... and the project fell apart!

As I saw the body with all the pieces attached, sans piping, I finally realized what the Y-wing really looks like, what it's dimensions and depth of detail were. This was the point I knew I needed something more than just a basic build with custom paint scheme, I needed to make the model more like the filming models. I had researched the models by reading everything, EVERYTHING! I got my hands on in RPF and elsewhere, I also have the essential books with known reference photos. Still, I did not know enough and, having an actual model at hand as a template, I started over. I found out that it takes about 55 different vintage model kits to make the Gold Leader alone. I wish there were more images of the Gold Leader available for study, but you know how it is. I have traced down almost 40 of those 55 kits, just to know what it's all about. Figuring out which kits add to the basic Red Jammer hull, not only containing the parts that are already there, has proven to be difficult – but fun. The old RPF threads do not have photographs anymore, links draw blanks and it is not always easy to understand the information because it's often just innuendo and references to PM's sent. I get that, people do not want to share the information they worked so hard to obtain (many Bothans died…), but without good reference images, it is impossible to find out on your own without the help of those who have it. As opposed to some aged threads, there are some newer threads with a lot of fantastic information available even now, great stuff, really! All it takes is patience, pen and paper for taking notes and the ability to cross reference. Also, the bird often referred to as the MOM Tour Y-wing is documented reasonably well and the photographic material is available online. The MOM is rich in detail and pretty as hell, although I'm not the biggest fan of the snakepipes on it's wings. Anyway, going thru kit scans day after day has led to purchasing a few of those 40 kits I know, kits that I think have suitable parts for beefing up the Red. While still waiting for some of the kits to arrive in mail, I will start tearing some of the already glued parts off…

To be continued.

Attachments

• Astromech.jpg
    Astromech.jpg
    762.1 KB · Views: 448
  • Y-WING.jpg
    Y-WING.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
This sounds like it'll be quite the undertaking! Thanks for posting a build thread here – I'm looking forward to it. :)

-MJ

Yes, this got bigger than expected fast. I still hope to finish with decent result, I'd hate to ruin one of these unique and marvelous kits.

I wanted to have a droid on the Y-wing. I do not know the donor kits of the little greeblies on the plate around the droid socket, so I did what Lee (ralphee) did in his build – I copied them from the original Lancaster turret part that came with the kit. I have only once before made silicone molds and this was my first time using this kind of resin. Like I said earlier, there is a steep learning curve. While I was at it, I made a resin copy of the droid also (sitting too tall at the moment), you never know if a spare droid is needed, right? In the photo there are also some additional parts from the 8Rad, not glued on yet.

A dry fit test of the scratchbuilt droid socket with some of the replicated greeblies on.

I made an error earlier thinking I was ready to proceed and glue the kit greeblies on. I wasn't, really, so the plan changed after that but I don't think I am going to try to reverse this phase, compromises will have to be made. If I tear the details off, they will break and I do not have the knowledge to replace those parts with, say, Gold Leader pattern. I'll go for just some of the most obvious details and leave it at that. I may even leave the 8Rad neck parts like they are on the Red, reversed compared to the filming models.

There is one thing, I'd like to do, though, and that is making some adjustments towards a more symmetrical model. As we know, the Red is asymmetrical in some regard, lacking some detail from the starboard side. I'll be needing some parts for that and I may not afford to buy all the kits needed. The ESCI 1/9 Kettenkrad is one of the expensive ones, if anyone's willing to sell the six track parts needed from that kit, I'd be happy to hear about that. Casts will do too, of course.

Kettenkrad.jpg

Kettenkrad parts needed for the build, originals (left) or casts.

Aft Detail.JPG

This Me109 / I-19 plate has to be copied for the other side. Off to buy some rubber.

Attachments

• Astro Dry Fit.JPG
    Astro Dry Fit.JPG
    537.4 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
I adore both Y-Wings and your work Avanaut, I can't wait to see what you come up with. Doubtless the final photography will be superb ;)
Thank you! It sure has been exciting to get a peek in the world of SS modeling. I now understand much better why some people do it, I got such a rush when I looked at a photo of a Y-wing and identified some parts from it, it was a simple and easy thing with a kit I know is a donor kit. Still, it was a first for me and it made me shout "YESS!" out loud. :D

Mold 1.JPG

That came out nicely, not perfect but good enough, now I can make the aft symmetrical. I'll try to yank one of the Kettenkrad track parts off the neck and try this with it.

Last edited:
Nice build so far!
By the way, minor alterations don't disqualify it as studio scale. Nothing wrong with having it in this forum, though. :)

Nice build so far!
By the way, minor alterations don't disqualify it as studio scale. Nothing wrong with having it in this forum, though. :)
Thank you! I probably won't try to replicate any of the individual Y-wing models as such, I figured that alone would earn recommendations to having it on this side. I thought about it a lot, though, as all alterations (except landing gear) will be made with parts from original donor kits and placements identical to those seen on the filming models. :)

I have spent the last few days trying to narrow down the changes to the Y-wing while ID'ing parts that need to be found. Going thru threads and kit scans feverishly, I think (and hope) I'm only two parts away from calling it done. Then maybe two or three kits more to buy to totally obliterate my budget limit and off I go to the building phase.

If you need an astromech droid for a 1/24th scale build, one option, albeit a bit pricey, is a 3D printed one from a shop I found on shapeways.com. I did not find the link to these when I made my first post where I had a photo of one, but here it is. The one I got is hollow for easier lighting installation and has nice detail, the smooth surfaces show some grain but I think it is easy to take care of, I haven't done it yet myself, though. The material these are printed in is light and brittle and it smells a bit like raspberries. I have not measured if the scale is correct but it looks right on the droid socket of the Y-wing.

I have all but figured out the changes I need to do for this build except for these two parts on the starboard side. Also a little help is needed on the port side details. If you experts can help me out and point a direction from where to look, I'd be very happy.

I am using the EFX proto as a photo reference, it seems to match the filming models in general as far as I can tell. Image from this thread.

The blue part, or parts, #2 could be a starter motor, or something like that in perhaps 1/35th scale. I've gone through all the kit scans I can find, several times, but got nothing. I have some donor kits still in the mail but it's a long shot to find this in them. Something very much like it can be seen on page 4, post #94, of this thread in the center of the cockpit rear plate (inset photo), it's from a smaller scale kit (1/48?) but aside some perhaps scale related differences, it could actually represent the same part.

I have no idea what is going on in the green area #1. Is there a single part or many?

On the right is a detail from the MOM Tour Y-wing, it's an area of which I can't find a better image of. Any help regarding parts or reference is very welcome.

EDIT: Got it! These are both from the 8-Rad. I have it at hand, yet I did not see these. Damn! Thank you Monsieur Tox!

Last edited:
"The MOM is rich in detail and pretty as hell, although I'm not the biggest fan of the snakepipes on it's wings."

Funny you said that. I love the paint and design of the MOM Y-Wing accept for those pipes on the wings also. I like the dual stripes on the canopy and the contrast of the greys and yellows. It is sad to see how it has fallen apart over the years. The SW blueray edition shows it missing a t-bar and half the gun turret on top. Here it is in the foreground of what looks like ROTJ filming already missing half the gun.

20140814_185114.jpg

I've always wondered why Lucas archives don't fix up or repair such valuable film artifacts? Like the 32inch Falcon, you can clearly see missing or broken pieces. Maybe it's like a Roman temple, you just let it stand as is, you don't fix it, that would be taking away its vintage flavor. Or maybe they just don't care about these models as much as we do. LOL

The Mom IS a beauty, no doubt, no disagreement. I don't hate the snakepipe plumming, it only feels out of place just a touch. Designwise, I mean. Love the colours!

Poor MOM, I can't tell how much of the piping on the neck is gone compared to what it has been but there's not much there these days. I don't blame the owner of the Gold Leader for not letting the model out at all. Some hi-res beauty photos probably wouldn't hurt, though... :D

Restoration truly is a tricky thing, while it would revert the models to their original glory, it would indeed erase their history as touring models. Should storage dust be preserved? Maybe they need to be treated as they treated the Lascaux cave paintings, make a precise copy, show that and seal the originals in vault?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back