EFX to produce Y-Wing and Star Destroyer

I wonder if that's Steve N's star destroyer project they're doing? And Y?

Ive wondered that myself...about the y anyways. Maybe why we havent heard anything on gold leader on the rpf?

I wonder if the Y is based on any kind of digital scanning as the x and tie.purportedly were.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

Any concrete word on the price of the YWing? I am not sure that $799 sign is for the Ywing, if it is great.

Would be a great deal as I paid nearly that for just a kit (red jammer). thought the price might have been more but I guess when you can make them in china they can keep the price down. I don’t think all the people that have been paying over $4000 for the MR version will be very happy.

Well that pic posted doesn't seem to marry up to the Gold Leader detailing, at least the cockpit plating isn't akin to the GL prop, looks more like the Jammer plating pattern, but I'm not near any ref right now, of course, this im sure is a mock up for the display/announcement....or not lol? Either way, be cool to see Steve, John and the guys launch the Gold Leader in this fashion, especially with what they know on the specific Gold parts array, itll be killer.......a TIE killer :lol

lee

Last edited:
You're right about the head detailing, Lee. That's jammer chipping. Panel lines are much deeper though, like on later Ys.

Definitely looks like it has a taller sidewall at the front than our jammer kits (quite how accurate the particular taper of the sidewall on the jammer kit is I can't say, as I have no decent profile ref - but it would certainly seem to do something of the sort judging from the photos I have. Would love to know more about why the ILmers re-jigged it.)

Anyway, this EFX piece is a total beaut. I'm still glad I went for the jammer kit, though, as there's no way I could shell out 800 dollars. I gambled that the Red Y would be the only one that would get put out for 500 dollars, also that it might turn out to be the only one to get put out, period. Wasn't gonna take a chance on that. Also, if this here means there are to be no more kits, then - again, glad I grabbed when I could the opportunity to build.

I was just looking at the redjammer ref pics on modelermagic...and there is another unfinished 'Y' in primer. I presume it is a pyro.
EFX's model is great, but if that pyro could have been used as a base/starting point that would be amazing.

No, that was a Neisen 1.0 kit in primer that we had Chris G. at Lucasfilm compare the originals to, to show that the Neisen's casting could pass muster. And it did - with the caveat that we swap the 8Rad bottoms to reflect the Red Y (arbitrary, but you have to do what they say!). They were very concerned with things matching something exactly, in the archives, even if you had pics of OTHER legit examples that were no longer there that you'd prefer to use... it HAD to be IN the archives.

Here's ref that might be useful for you guys, for the red head taper:
redhead.jpg

Looking at Jasons pics, i still think Jamie's pattern has a closer sidewall curve and profile, but, thats only from that one pic, so, hard to say, scribe lines are deeper Steve it seems, thanks for the share J!

Steve, been meaning you shout you, not sure, what your Y is like in the armature cockpit dept in your climate, but the heatwave were having here made my armature warp just a tad with the cockpit module resting on it, only by maybe half an inch, but, enough to make me worry about it.
Ive manipulated it back, but ill be posting a fix using ABS tubing in my thread real soon, id rather fix it properly now that have it happen with the cockpit bonded, that would cause a few unhappy tears. Not a big worry at all though, its a superb kit, need to pull my finger out now lol, anyhow, back to the eFX :)

lee

Last year, the power went out during a week in 106º weather (the cats, my wife, and I spent the week at my inlaws, where it was like 59º inside - glorious). Meanwhile, our house was an OVEN. The McQuarrie X-Wing I had mounted to the wall at home didn't warp AT ALL. It was like some crazy story from the Old Testament. That lamp stayed lit for eight days, and that X-Wing did not warp!!

But MAN am I ever nervous about heat and assembled resin...

No, that was a Neisen 1.0 kit in primer that we had Chris G. at Lucasfilm compare the originals to, to show that the Neisen's casting could pass muster. And it did - with the caveat that we swap the 8Rad bottoms to reflect the Red Y (arbitrary, but you have to do what they say!). They were very concerned with things matching something exactly, in the archives, even if you had pics of OTHER legit examples that were no longer there that you'd prefer to use... it HAD to be IN the archives.

Here's ref that might be useful for you guys, for the red head taper:
http://www.roboterkampf.com/roboterkampf/misc/redhead.jpg

Thanks Jason for the picks as i started on mine last week. Not sure if they will help me still a lot to learn but its good to have more than less.

Holy ShiP!!!! So that's what eFX has been up to. I saw a good video interview of Bryan mentioning these but there was not a close up of these studio scale ships. Wow, I believe the Star Destroyer will be approx. 4 feet tall. is that correct?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back