Subscribe
  1. gianco79's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Messages
    5
    Mar 9, 2018, 1:01 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3876

    KR News...
    "Kylo Ren Premier Ensemble - Updates

    Current Shipping Estimate: Late March/ Early April 2018"




  2. Getoninja's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    The Deadzone aka Los Banos, CA
    Messages
    610
    Mar 9, 2018, 1:41 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3877

    what do you guys think about the new helmet build kits of the shadowtrooper and stormtrooper for $150 each?
  3. Inquisitor Peregrinus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2002
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    Messages
    3,004
    Mar 9, 2018, 8:09 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3878

    I like it as an option for people who like the more-movie-accurate asymmetrical style. There are more authentically accurate kits out there, usually more expensive. And having them start out deconstructed gives the end-used more ability to tweak it how they want before assembly.

    I'm sticking with my symmetrical Black Series ones.
  4. Member Since
    Jun 2016
    Messages
    135
    Mar 10, 2018, 3:28 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3879

    Jonah - awesome and very considerate of you to put in the time. Both Anovos and customers benefit from your write up. At one point you say, even when you might get annoyed, it is "tempered by (your) knowing they're not doing it on purpose," etc. and this is knowledge or information and reassurance that the rest of us do not have. We do not know anyone on the inside. You do and you are really truly helping out here in bridging the gap. And thanks again.

    Maybe suggest to Anovos that, when something is delayed twice, Disney allow them to enter into closer contact with those specific items and specific customers. Some hand-holding is needed after two delays or a skipped Halloween. Folks at Disney, I suspect, THINK they are protecting the mystery, or other, of their intellectual property with their approach/ decisions and restrictions on Anovos it seems but it would help for them to realize they are perhaps part of the problem here. Or even the entire problem. And perhaps someone like yourself could be a liason not between Anovos and customers but between DISNEY AND ANOVOS!!!!

    I'd love that. Disney needs to be more aware of the mindset. We fans DO have all the patience needed. We have the excitement. Disney is not engaging both. They are abusing our excitement.

    That said, I did get notice that my Kylo outfit is set to ship by end of April. I am surprised but delighted.

    Inquisitor Peregrinus said: View Post
    That's what I told Alex. *heh* I suggested a work-from-home customer-service job where they pay me in product to distill the actual internal information they can't release into some sort of non-disclosing update for customers and potential customers. We'll see.



    Yeah, I would never recommend ANOVOS -- even the in-stock stuff -- fo rpeople who just want to dress up once for something casual. That's what Rubies is for. I know some people in the 501st spend a lot of time, money, and effort on really good costumes, then turn around and sell them after they've worn them once or twice and start working on the next. It's a mentality I just can't wrap my head around. So if that's what they're after, I'd probably have too hard a time not throttling them on general principle, independent of vendors.



    As @cboath put it, they have too little control over all the manufacturing steps. When they get production time at any given factory, whether the boat will be held in port for some reason, whether their shipping container will miss it and have to wait for the next one, whether their shipping container falls overboard and needs to be replaced (this happened back in the '90s with Games Workshop -- the very first shipment of Eldar Falcon grav-tank model kits was one of the shipping containers that fell off the cargo ship on its way to the US)... The issue with the Phasma helmets was that, for that batch, someone at the factory who didn't know any better released them for shipment too soon, so they were boxed up and sent to the boat where they sat. Because of all the complaints and demands for refunds, ANOVOS just decided to cut their losses and stop offering the Phasma helmet. That... doesn't feel like a huge win for the customers to me...

    ANOVOS doesn't have the manpower to have people at all the factories they contract with in China to make sure they do it right. LFL and Disney don't care enough to hire their own people to oversee QC at all their licensees' factories. Maybe Disney just needs to buy a few factories over there and streamline things. Some portion of those unforeseen delays are when they get a test item from China and it's wrong, and they have to have it reworked and put back in the queue to try again. If they were doing it all in-house, a lot of that lag would be cut down (though not eliminated). As it is, they have to get across what they need, and the people doing the work have to "get it". There's a language barrier and also a not-insignificant "don't-give-a-s***" barrier.

    My most personal example is the FOTK armor kit. ANOVOS have the digital files used to make the prototypes for the film costumes. The film costumes were made of a semi-flexible, very forgiving urethane resin, cast in negative molds in all the complex shapes required -- especially the upper-back piece that has complex indents and extends over the shoulders to curve under the arms in front. Impossible to vacu-form. The "Alpha" and "Beta" kits some of the 501st got for the TFA premiere were decidedly rough drafts, with inaccurate detailing and some massaging of piece-fit needed. Translating single-piece negative molds to multi-piece positive bucks is migraine-inducing. Calculating how much to take off for material thickness, trying to keep detailing as sharp as possible, etc. Especially figuring out how to do impossible pieces like that upper-body piece.

    It wasn't until they got the first test pulls of the newly-revised "Gamma"/production version that they realized the factory who had beein doing the work hadn't taken pains to make sure the piece edges lined up right, and the thickness of the plastic they went with lost too much detail. So, late in the pre-production, they had to choose between releasing a woefully inferior product on time that they'd get all kinds of negative feedback on... or essentially start over from the digital files and tool new bucks for better fit and sharper detail. I applaud the choice they made. Could they have done it that way from the start? Yes -- for a substantially higher initial cost (milling steel bucks is a lot more expensive than carving wooden ones or casting hydrocal ones). I can't blame them for hoping the cheaper option they led with would work. Hopefully these will be popular items when finished and shipping, to warrant multiple batches. That'll be the only way they can avoid taking a big loss on this item. The good news is that the steel bucks will stand up to many thousands of pulls without any loss of detail, so they have a chance to make it back.

    All of that involved, often, literal months of back-and-forth time between each step. Their current shipping estimate is in hopes that the actual pieces that should be here by now don't run into any delays or downchecks from LFL or Disney, which ANOVOS have no control over. If it's delayed again, I'll be annoyed, yes. But it's tempered by my knowing they're not doing it on purpose, or to shine us on, and that they're at least as annoyed by every new delay as we are. Each one they know hurts their reputation and potential sales. I'm hoping to try to help them find a happy medium between their preferred transparency and the utterly-opaque opposite extreme they've gone to since Disney told them to stop being so open. Disney didn't spell out what to reveal or what not to, so they're playing it safe by not saying anything. That obviously doesn't work for anyone involved (except Disney, and, arguably, not even them).

    --Jonah
  5. Inquisitor Peregrinus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2002
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    Messages
    3,004
    Mar 10, 2018, 5:57 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3880

    darthjones2 said: View Post
    Folks at Disney, I suspect, THINK they are protecting the mystery, or other, of their intellectual property with their approach/ decisions and restrictions on Anovos it seems but it would help for them to realize they are perhaps part of the problem here. Or even the entire problem. And perhaps someone like yourself could be a liason not between Anovos and customers but between DISNEY AND ANOVOS!!!!
    I'd need someone who understands corporate-think better than me to weigh in on why Disney/LFL put the kibosh on ANOVOS letting folks know the intricacies of what they have going on, production-side.

    That said, I did get notice that my Kylo outfit is set to ship by end of April. I am surprised but delighted.
    Good news. I'm still hoping they'll make their current estimate for my FOTK armor kit. I've been itching to get started on it for some time now.

    --Jonah
  6. Member Since
    Nov 2016
    Messages
    162
    Mar 10, 2018, 7:40 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3881

    Getoninja said: View Post
    what do you guys think about the new helmet build kits of the shadowtrooper and stormtrooper for $150 each?
    I like it and it's rather inexpensive. I had the finished version of their helmet and returned it because it was very poorly trimmed. So the kit is a good idea so you can do it yourself.
  7. cboath's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2001
    Messages
    5,411
    Mar 11, 2018, 11:34 AM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3882

    Inquisitor Peregrinus said: View Post
    I'd need someone who understands corporate-think better than me to weigh in on why Disney/LFL put the kibosh on ANOVOS letting folks know the intricacies of what they have going on, production-side.



    Good news. I'm still hoping they'll make their current estimate for my FOTK armor kit. I've been itching to get started on it for some time now.

    --Jonah
    The logic has many layers. But basically, it's Protect the IP, Protect the Process, Protect the workflow, and present a singular design/product.

    The flaw in it is that this the only type of product they have where the customers are having to wait upwards of years for what they ordered/paid for. I think the rules need adjusting when you're just as much investor as customer. The big corporation will never see it that way though.
  8. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    11,068
    Mar 11, 2018, 12:01 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3883

    Getoninja said: View Post
    what do you guys think about the new helmet build kits of the shadowtrooper and stormtrooper for $150 each?
    these are back in stock?!?!?!?!
  9. Inquisitor Peregrinus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2002
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    Messages
    3,004
    Mar 11, 2018, 1:37 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3884

    cboath said: View Post
    The logic has many layers. But basically, it's Protect the IP, Protect the Process, Protect the workflow, and present a singular design/product.

    The flaw in it is that this the only type of product they have where the customers are having to wait upwards of years for what they ordered/paid for. I think the rules need adjusting when you're just as much investor as customer. The big corporation will never see it that way though.
    That put to words what was in the back of my head. Thank you for nailing down that gut feeling for me. Yeah, that may be what we need to start voicing, but what is the best avenue? We, the people who pre-order early, who would get the Tier One buy-ins before even a prototype was made... We were/are investing in that item eventually being available for off-the-rack purchasing by those who come later. And as investors we, if not the general public who would only be buying once it was "in stock", deserve to be kept in the loop on the details of our investment. That's what we need to find a way to convey to The Powers That Be. Any ideas how best to go about that?

    halliwax said: View Post
    these are back in stock?!?!?!?!
    I didn't think the OT 'Trooper helmets had been released as kits prior -- just finished helmets and finished or kits of the armor. Am I having a brain fart?

    --Jonah
  10. vader45's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Messages
    645
    Mar 11, 2018, 1:40 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3885

    Inquisitor Peregrinus said: View Post
    That put to words what was in the back of my head. Thank you for nailing down that gut feeling for me. Yeah, that may be what we need to start voicing, but what is the best avenue? We, the people who pre-order early, who would get the Tier One buy-ins before even a prototype was made... We were/are investing in that item eventually being available for off-the-rack purchasing by those who come later. And as investors we, if not the general public who would only be buying once it was "in stock", deserve to be kept in the loop on the details of our investment. That's what we need to find a way to convey to The Powers That Be. Any ideas how best to go about that?



    I didn't think the OT 'Trooper helmets had been released as kits prior -- just finished helmets and finished or kits of the armor. Am I having a brain fart?

    --Jonah
    Yes the helmets have been offered in kit form before.
  11. Inquisitor Peregrinus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2002
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    Messages
    3,004
    Mar 11, 2018, 1:42 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3886

    vader45 said: View Post
    Yes the helmets have been offered in kit form before.
    Cool. Probably didn't remember because I'm not interested.
  12. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    11,068
    Mar 11, 2018, 1:49 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3887

    vader45 said: View Post
    Yes the helmets have been offered in kit form before.
    Inquisitor Peregrinus said: View Post
    Cool. Probably didn't remember because I'm not interested.
    yeah they were released but it was a 2 year wait. gordon tarpley did a awesome review and assembly of it. i wish i knew at the time they had kits. hoping they release them again!
  13. RPF Premium Member oblagon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    From
    Palatine, IL
    Messages
    669
    Mar 11, 2018, 2:31 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3888

    Saw the tie jumpsuit was in stock; anyone know the quality of it?
  14. cboath's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2001
    Messages
    5,411
    Mar 11, 2018, 5:53 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3889

    Inquisitor Peregrinus said: View Post
    That put to words what was in the back of my head. Thank you for nailing down that gut feeling for me. Yeah, that may be what we need to start voicing, but what is the best avenue? We, the people who pre-order early, who would get the Tier One buy-ins before even a prototype was made... We were/are investing in that item eventually being available for off-the-rack purchasing by those who come later. And as investors we, if not the general public who would only be buying once it was "in stock", deserve to be kept in the loop on the details of our investment. That's what we need to find a way to convey to The Powers That Be. Any ideas how best to go about that?



    I didn't think the OT 'Trooper helmets had been released as kits prior -- just finished helmets and finished or kits of the armor. Am I having a brain fart?

    --Jonah
    Good luke trying. They're a multi national multi-billion dollar corporation. All they see and all they will ever these items as are products sold to the public and therefore will fall within the rules of the rest of their products. THAT is the thinking of a giant corporation. They don't have the time or patience to treat these things like the item they actually are. Unless you can convince them that changing their ways will net them millions more in profit, it will never change.

    I mean, FFS, look at EFX. They've not done @#$% in YEARS. Screwed people left and right ostensibly for years (don't think it counts when you start delivering 6 years after the fact), made nothing new, frankly are damaging the brand and they've done nothing. That status quo is the status quo. It's a market they're happy to cash the licensing check from, but not one they give a crap about in any real sense of the word.
  15. Inquisitor Peregrinus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2002
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    Messages
    3,004
    Mar 13, 2018, 5:13 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3890

    Just got an e-mail from ANOVOS that the ESB Snowtrooper helmet kit is up for pre-order. I think I'm gonna jump on that.
  16. Member Since
    Jun 2016
    Messages
    135
    Mar 14, 2018, 3:33 AM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3891

    The problem is that they, those in "corporate-think," do not care. We already understand them. They only want to make money. And anything that slows that process confuses their mindset. IF it can be demonstrated that Disney will LOSE money by not changing their behavior, then you will have their attention. Beyond that, they do not need to be understood prior to action. I mean, I don't have a conversation with a cockroach before I crush it. Disney needs to know that they are blocking Anovos from keeping the kind of contact with pre-order customers that would otherwise prevent customer cancellations of pre-order items after a long, silent wait.


    Inquisitor Peregrinus said: View Post
    That put to words what was in the back of my head. Thank you for nailing down that gut feeling for me. Yeah, that may be what we need to start voicing, but what is the best avenue? We, the people who pre-order early, who would get the Tier One buy-ins before even a prototype was made... We were/are investing in that item eventually being available for off-the-rack purchasing by those who come later. And as investors we, if not the general public who would only be buying once it was "in stock", deserve to be kept in the loop on the details of our investment. That's what we need to find a way to convey to The Powers That Be. Any ideas how best to go about that?



    I didn't think the OT 'Trooper helmets had been released as kits prior -- just finished helmets and finished or kits of the armor. Am I having a brain fart?

    --Jonah
  17. Inquisitor Peregrinus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2002
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    Messages
    3,004
    Mar 14, 2018, 3:50 AM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3892

    darthjones2 said: View Post
    Disney needs to know that they are blocking Anovos from keeping the kind of contact with pre-order customers that would otherwise prevent customer cancellations of pre-order items after a long, silent wait.
    Someone who is better at the business and math stuff... If one of y'all would be willing to take a whack at seriously ballpark figures, I'd love to be able to begin putting together a message that lays out things like lost revenues to Disney, as license-holder, due to the things ANOVOS has had to cancel due to lack of interest, caused by prior delays they have been gagged about. It's a domino effect that can be shown with dollar signs. The Shoretrooper/AT-ACT/Tank Driver armor, canceled. Multiple paint apps for one physical asset. Weathered and clean, standard and officer/squad leader, etc. How many thousands of dollars did ANOVOS not receive for having to cancel that, and, consequently, how much did Lucasfilm and Disney lose as their cut?

    --Jonah
  18. Lichtbringer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    From
    Germany
    Messages
    3,257
    Mar 14, 2018, 3:59 AM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3893

    darthjones2 said: View Post
    IF it can be demonstrated that Disney will LOSE money by not changing their behavior, then you will have their attention.
    No. That doesnīt matters.
  19. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    11,068
    Mar 14, 2018, 4:43 AM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3894

    I donít want to come off as a jerk, but Iím surprised the snow trooper helmet is more then the normal trooper helmet.
    I would think thereís less vacuum casting involved


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. RPF Premium Member tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    NOVA/Washington DC
    Messages
    4,995
    Mar 14, 2018, 6:55 AM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3895

    halliwax said: View Post
    I don’t want to come off as a jerk, but I’m surprised the snow trooper helmet is more then the normal trooper helmet.
    I would think there’s less vacuum casting involved

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stiff thin plastic and white tape sure drive that cost up /s
  21. RPF Premium Member karmajay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2014
    From
    Wendell, NC
    Messages
    1,293
    Mar 14, 2018, 7:47 AM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3896

    halliwax said: View Post
    I don’t want to come off as a jerk, but I’m surprised the snow trooper helmet is more then the normal trooper helmet.
    I would think there’s less vacuum casting involved


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My guess is they are not making as many so the manufacturing cost is a bit more.
  22. Member Since
    Jun 2016
    Messages
    135
    Mar 14, 2018, 2:20 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3897

    Interesting thought - in correspondence with Anovos today, I was told that they are trying to work a way to ramp up their updates in the future. And I was invited to follow up with more suggestions. Nice to hear.

    Inquisitor Peregrinus said: View Post
    Someone who is better at the business and math stuff... If one of y'all would be willing to take a whack at seriously ballpark figures, I'd love to be able to begin putting together a message that lays out things like lost revenues to Disney, as license-holder, due to the things ANOVOS has had to cancel due to lack of interest, caused by prior delays they have been gagged about. It's a domino effect that can be shown with dollar signs. The Shoretrooper/AT-ACT/Tank Driver armor, canceled. Multiple paint apps for one physical asset. Weathered and clean, standard and officer/squad leader, etc. How many thousands of dollars did ANOVOS not receive for having to cancel that, and, consequently, how much did Lucasfilm and Disney lose as their cut?

    --Jonah
    - - - Updated - - -

    Lichtbringer said: View Post
    No. That doesnīt matters.
    Why not?
  23. cboath's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2001
    Messages
    5,411
    Mar 14, 2018, 2:35 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3898

    Inquisitor Peregrinus said: View Post
    Someone who is better at the business and math stuff... If one of y'all would be willing to take a whack at seriously ballpark figures, I'd love to be able to begin putting together a message that lays out things like lost revenues to Disney, as license-holder, due to the things ANOVOS has had to cancel due to lack of interest, caused by prior delays they have been gagged about. It's a domino effect that can be shown with dollar signs. The Shoretrooper/AT-ACT/Tank Driver armor, canceled. Multiple paint apps for one physical asset. Weathered and clean, standard and officer/squad leader, etc. How many thousands of dollars did ANOVOS not receive for having to cancel that, and, consequently, how much did Lucasfilm and Disney lose as their cut?

    --Jonah
    Pretty sure it's already been established, but the problem is that this is a niche market. You could tell them you'd double their profits from Anovos with a couple simple changes and they wouldn't bother to listen as it's way too small a piece of the merchandising pie.

    Anovos makes, what? 5000 of a costume or helmet? Hasbro sells 5000 figures a day, probably more than that. It's not mainstream enough for it be a relevant stream of revenue or something they care about making it a more customer friendly process. I mean, look at the prop store. They went under quick and there wasn't a shred of give a crap from disney. They don't mind getting money from this market, but if it went away over night, they wouldn't bat an eye.
  24. Lichtbringer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    From
    Germany
    Messages
    3,257
    Mar 14, 2018, 3:11 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3899

    darthjones2 said: View Post
    Why not?
    One reason as cebaoth said.....to small to be really of interest to change established procedures.

    The second......the bigger a company, the more tiers it has, the more each tier tries to play safe. No own decisions without ok from others, no personal engagement that can cause problems if things may go south.

    I was 18 years at a small oilfield company - if a problem occurred, the person in charge tried to fix it, asap. When no chance to fix it fast, the next tier was informed.

    Now I work for a much bigger company. And next to no one wants to be responsible for anything. Not without a lot of big meetings, dozens of people who have to give all their ok. Things that could be fixed in a few days now take weeks or months.
  25. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    11,068
    Mar 14, 2018, 7:45 PM - Re: ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License! #3900

    Anyone know if anovos will be doing a Vader again? And anyone know what big body mannequin fits the anovos setup correctly?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: Nov 18, 2016, 8:29 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: Mar 26, 2010, 8:52 AM
  3. Star Wars Prop License has been picked up?
    jariksolo4, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: Jan 18, 2008, 9:29 AM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: Aug 15, 2007, 11:35 AM