Bioshock Infinite's Songbird

AnEddieNunn

So my very first cosplay idea of course has to be really big and ambitious. Cause otherwise where's the fun?
I've seen only two other completed costumes, one of which I thought got the proportions wrong, and I thought I could make it bad-ass.

songbird-bioshock_irrational-games1600-16_1600x900_marked.jpg
So far the basic materials are EVA foam for the harnesses, rotating LEDs for the light, worbla, and a few different fabrics.

Here's where I'm having a big issue: what to make the skeleton wings out of. At first I thought of 1/4" PVC but I'm worried about it being a bit too heavy so if anyone has any alternative methods I could definitely use them.

Thanks, does give me some ideas.

I'd also like to point out I gave myself a deadline to have it ready for Boston Comic-Con which is August 3rd, which is roughly six weeks from now. A bit tight but consistent work should make it complete in time. The movement of the wings are definitely the lion's share of work without question. But I'll post pictures and video of my build as I go along.

So here's what I've done so far. I went with some of the smaller pieces first as I figured they'd be the less stressful and I had templates for them already.

20130710_160100.jpg
The talon I carved out of EVA foam, placed a gear on top cut out of craft foam, then covered it in worbla thermoplastic. To give it a smooth texture I primed it in wood glue. The picture is without the wood glue.

20130715_215734.jpg
For the eye ring same method but more carving involved with a razor.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back