Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming

That's some good news, thought these had been sold out.
Unfortunately I'm UK based so am watching whether these are going to get through customs- any news from anyone over here?
Really hope HM can see these props for what they are and let them in!

Mine is sitting at my local depot waiting for me.

Last edited:
Probably a stupid question but do the green lights on the left side cylinder cover light up? If so, I have not figured it out.

No, they don't and that is movie accurate as only the red ones were ever shown to light up. There were two grey wires presumably leading to those leds in the worldcon photos but the wires were cut.

Marv, my tracking number was for the EMS Japan website which gave very little info, however, I noticed that at some point it had gone to the Parcelforce customs depot so I tried putting the same number into the Parcelforce website and that gives a much more detailed description of where you're up to. Give it a go if you haven't already. I suspect like me, you are waiting for the letter to arrive saying how much you owe. You can then pay over the internet and they'll ship it the next day. Bank holiday must have slowed everything right down!
No I've been using the Parcelforce tracker from the start, but yes I am waiting on that little piece of horrid chargeable paper to come through the door? I suspect that its somewhere between the main depot and my local one, seeing as it passed clearance some while ago.

I received mine today and wow what a piece. So clean and precise. Lots of parts so I got to hunker down and read the instructions which thankfully are translated. I want to thank Mune for a great transaction and fast delivery.

So...I want to blue this thing. Do I need to clean the metal parts first in case of mold residue? Any recommendations on the type of bluing to get?
Carl

I received mine today and wow what a piece. So clean and precise. Lots of parts so I got to hunker down and read the instructions which thankfully are translated. I want to thank Mune for a great transaction and fast delivery.

So...I want to blue this thing. Do I need to clean the metal parts first in case of mold residue? Any recommendations on the type of bluing to get?
Carl

It's always a good idea to throughly wash any metal before blueing or other chemical treating. I recommend warm water and soap, use a toothbrush to get in all the crevices and wipe dry with a clean cloth or paper towel. Then wash down with cheap white vinegar and dry again. Handle with gloves so as to not get finger oils on the metal and apply blueing right away.

Thanks Dave I will do just that. :) I really want to go with a JUST issued BR. I want a nice blueing effect on it. Whats the very best blueing out there?

Carl

Carl,

I've not blued mine yet, I thinks other's have and can chime in. The blueing I use for steel (Casey's) isn't intended for Zinc. For my pewter snub nose blaster I used Jax Chemicals' Pewter Black PAtina, but again, different metals, different chemicals.

Good luck!

The Birchwood Casey Super Blue may be intended for steel but its label does reference zinc/steel alloys, IIRC. Whatever the case, it does a fine job on all but aluminium alloy parts (which are painted rather than blued anyway.)

The Birchwood Casey Super Blue may be intended for steel but its label does reference zinc/steel alloys, IIRC. Whatever the case, it does a fine job on all but aluminium alloy parts (which are painted rather than blued anyway.)

This may seem like a really stupid question, but I am not familiar with the lore of the blasters and the various models over the years. So the question is:

Is the kit as delivered meant to match the "movie" version. From what I can tell the movie version has a more worn "chrome" look on the steyr barrel?? So are people bluing the parts to make them look like a "newer" version or just cause it looks cooler? What parts are people bluing?

I have my blaster waiting when I get back from Europe on Sunday, and want to get everything straight before I start assembly.

Phil

Is the kit as delivered meant to match the "movie" version. From what I can tell the movie version has a more worn "chrome" look on the steyr barrel?? So are people bluing the parts to make them look like a "newer" version or just cause it looks cooler? What parts are people bluing?

I'm no expert either, so the experts are welcome to correct me, but here's how I understand it. The photos most people associate with the gun these days are Karl Tate's taken at Worldcon. In these photos, time has not been kind to the prop and it does in fact differ from when it was filmed. For one, the weaver-knob on the side appears to have been added afterward because in the film there is a regular slotted screw there (which, happily enough, Tomenosuke has included, letting you choose which version you want to build). Also, parts of the gun like the reciever and trigger guard had begun to develop rust on the surface, which is common when all bluing has worn away. Since other parts of the gun are clearly painted, it is assumed that most of the bare metal parts (except the buttplate) were in fact blued when the film was shot. So, you have the choice of making it "screen accurate" or "real world accurate".

This is my FOURTH copy of the PKD. The others were all Sidkits and I did them up more in a "Worldcon" theme. But since this is (hopefully) the last PKD I'll ever get, I chose to do mine more "screen accurate".

If anyone wants too get rid of there extra grips. I would be very interested in taking them off your hands for a fair price....

blade-runner-deckard-hero-pistol-movie-prop-profiles-in-history-1981-02.jpg

blade-runner-deckard-hero-pistol-movie-prop-profiles-in-history-1981-01.jpg

These are images of the blaster as delivered to set. I agree with Joetrash's assessment of the Blaster. It was not a raw metal rusty worn look.

The beat up rusty prop that showed up at World Con was the result of two decades of neglect not what was intended to be used or filmed on set.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back