The Shuttlecraft Galileo

You think the SD Aerospace museum would still be interested?
I tried a little pitch over at Hobbytalk for that result someday.

It's sort of halfway between where it was built and where it went to work.
Yeah, that's the ticket.

Thank you micdavis. Anyone knowing the full story wouldn't post like he did. Certainly it is difficult to believe that he is a fan of the show. I guess I shouldn't be so sensitive.

After the guys left me with an unfinished prop, I felt pretty alone, and back then there was no Internet, at least not like it is today. I never heard from anyone after that about the shuttle, or anyone from the local fan club though many people knew about it and knew where I lived. I think it was a matter of not wanting to chance being saddled with any of the responsibility that they sort of fled from my side.

It came so close to being restored that it was a huge disappointment to me. It was only by accident that I happened across a posting at Hobby Talk last November then posted there, and the auction is the result of that. I always felt that it had to be restored before selling it. But, due to my health I have had no choice but to sell it as is. The money will go to paying my medical bills, and I am grateful to get back some of what I spent.

And, CessnaDriver I think Steve H. tried for years to get it into the SD Aerospace museum without success. It is pretty big and would take up a lot of room in a museum. But, I am sure the new owners will find a good home for it unlike another post indicates here.

And, CessnaDriver I think Steve H. tried for years to get it into the SD Aerospace museum without success. It is pretty big and would take up a lot of room in a museum. But, I am sure the new owners will find a good home for it unlike another post indicates here.

Here in Virginia we have The Virginia Air and Space Center in Hampton and they have a large display area. Perhaps it could be put on display there as I think that it would look great next to Apollo 12. They also have a space flight simulator there that is modeled after Galileo in size, shape and paint scheme.The NASA Langley Research Center is not far from the museum and that is where the astronauts trained back then.The city logo contains the wording "From The Sea To The Stars". Perhaps it could go there.

The only Museum that would have it would be one that I would not trust :lol

The Smithsonian was ridiculed privately when it first displayed The Enterprise by other Museum personell as some felt a Model from a sci-fi show which had been cancelled for years should not be displayed with other "Real" ships

Guys, this is not how I would wish we could communicate. An iconic piece is now getting the treatment she deserves. How it came to be is now mute.

Some of the earlier posts were filled with outrageous accusations of 'phony' and 'scam'. Some of us saw it for what it was; simply a person who owned a piece of property reaching out to sell it to a target audience.....prop collectors. She did the best she could with what resources she had at the time. Life happens and you deal with it. 99% of the population would have scrapped this piece the day production wrapped. Us 1% want to protect, preserve and display pieces.

This lyndie person sounds like an average gal that did the best she could with what resources she had. To sit back and mock her for not getting a second mortgage to 'properly' restore the Galileo is despicable. Her initial hopes were to get her investment back. She was mocked, but most here would have tried the same, I included. In the end, the market dictated what was fair value. The Galileo is now on track to be properly restored, and Lyndie has the 'Albatross' off her back and can move on with life.

We as movie fans should all be thankful of her past efforts to store this iconc piece.

Guys, this is not how I would wish we could communicate. An iconic piece is now getting the treatment she deserves. How it came to be is now mute.

Some of the earlier posts were filled with outrageous accusations of 'phony' and 'scam'. Some of us saw it for what it was; simply a person who owned a piece of property reaching out to sell it to a target audience.....prop collectors. She did the best she could with what resources she had at the time. Life happens and you deal with it. 99% of the population would have scrapped this piece the day production wrapped. Us 1% want to protect, preserve and display pieces.

This lyndie person sounds like an average gal that did the best she could with what resources she had. To sit back and mock her for not getting a second mortgage to 'properly' restore the Galileo is despicable. Her initial hopes were to get her investment back. She was mocked, but most here would have tried the same, I included. In the end, the market dictated what was fair value. The Galileo is now on track to be properly restored, and Lyndie has the 'Albatross' off her back and can move on with life.

We as movie fans should all be thankful of her past efforts to store this iconc piece.

Agreed. I had stayed out of this, as I didn't want to get caught up in an argument that I didn't know much about. But I know all too well that when life issues come up (such as health), priorities need to be set. And when it comes down to it, even the world's most valuable prop cannot equal the value of one's health. It's all too easy to look down at someone in a pit; its' another altogether to be in that same pit yourself trying to get out.

That said: Lyndie, I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers.

If I were to take....say for example....the basic skeleton housing of an original Trek Tricorder, Replace all its outer shells, tv screen, buttons, speaker, leather strap and restore it to its original look can I still call this an original prop? Well thats just whats beng done with this since there's nothing original left of this prop except the metal framework and nacells that supported it.

Actually this is not uncommon when restoring aircraft. Many "restored" aircraft only have a few original parts.

I don't see this as an issue with the Galileo. The entire frame and nacelles are all original and the rotten wood is only the skin and some of the supporting structure. I for one am super happy that Lyndie made such a huge sacrifice to preserve the thing. Just a year ago it was assumed destroyed and now it's going to be restored . . . . Hallelujah!

We are comparing apples and oranges here.

Last edited:
The shuttle exists and the restoration will be completed. I am sure they will do a wonderful job, and they will see the challenges we faced. True fans will rejoice and not nit pick. Please when they start a kickstarter donate what you can, and it will be around and looking awesome for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek.

I also think it would be cool if the restoration team would vlog their progress for the RPF. I think it would be a very cool addition to the RPF channel, if Art feels that doing so would be reasonable and appropriate.

Thought I'd share my little brush with the Galileo, as I shared in the thread in the prop forum in 2009:

I had a quasi-brush with the Galileo, although not in "person".

Around 1986, I was president of a sci-fi club at the University of Florida, and we started planning a convention to take place on campus in (IIRC) 1987. It was to be named "GatorCon". (Not to be confused with one by that name, organized by others, that actually took place many years later.)

I don't remember how he found out about us, but a fellow called me up to offer the Galileo for display at the con. He was a photographer who lived near Jacksonville, FL, and had nurtured, as it turned out, a bit of an obsession concerning the shuttlecraft for many years. He had visited it and videotaped it back when it was still rusting away on the Paramount backlot (EDIT: actually in a private open storage lot, probably during its time at Rebel Storage) many years before, and had more recently gone to see it and its current owner after its 1980s restoration. He didn't actually own it but was very near to acquiring it and buying a Ford Aerostar van (because it "looks like the shuttle") to haul it across the country.

I certainly thought it would've been awesome to have at the con, so I agreed to have him come talk to the club about it at one of our meetings. He seemed a little odd on the phone, but enthusiastic.

So he comes, and gives me 8x10s of the bird in its current condition (see below), and shows us the video he'd shot when it was still decrepit. He had edited it into the scene when Kirk approaches the Enterprise in the pod from TMP, replacing all the shots of the Enterprise with his handheld videotaped shots of the shuttle. They even kinda sorta matched, in that he circled the ship at the appropriate times, and trucked into the hatch when the pod was docking. It was all we could do to keep from laughing at the very idea of the video--here was Kirk just MARVELING at this rusted out hunk of crap--and the fact that he'd obviously put a lot of work into something so stupid. Not to mention the amateurish execution (early camcorder tech). He was even nerdier than US! But hey, at least it showed passion.

But we couldn't accept his proposal. As cool as it would've been to have the shuttle present, his terms were out of the question. I forget the specific number, but he wanted something like $5,000 for the appearance. Whatever the figure was (below five figures but several grand for sure), it was about what he was going to be paying the current owners for the thing (with the cost of a trailer for it added in, IIRC)! In effect, he wanted us to buy the shuttle for him.

Fat chance. That figure was several times more than what we'd been budgeting to pay guests with actual heartbeats. There was no way, financially nor ideologically.

He never did acquire the shuttle. As for our con, it didn't happen. Although our faculty advisor had experience with event planning, we were way over our heads and canceled it. This, however, was after I'd already notified STARLOG magazine about it, so it appeared in their con schedule column. Reportedly a couple people actually showed up looking for it.

The experience did facilitate me corresponding very briefly with Majel Barett Roddenberry, though, so that was cool.

These are 8x10s he gave me:

fate-galileo-shuttlecraft-full-size-g1.jpg-11047d1233340263

fate-galileo-shuttlecraft-full-size-g2.jpg-11048d1233340263

Last edited:
Strangely enough I had an experience with the same guy (it had to be, photographer from Jacksonville wanting to buy the shuttlecraft). He had an office about a mile away from where I lived and we would stop in and talk Trek when we were kids (this was in the mid 1970's). Back then he was trying to buy it for $ 3000 dollars. After you originally posted the above story I tried to find him but sadly it seems as though he passd away. He was an interesting and quirky guy for sure. I remember he had trek models all around his business office (he had the Romulan pylons upside down on his model as I remember it). The first time I ever saw the original Enterprise blueprints was at his office.

I don't believe doing a V log would be a good idea either since it usually just gets in the way of a build or restoration and most of the time it is going to be the same old thing for quite awhile of removing old rotted wood and trying to save what one can before the work on building the replacement pieces moves along and the restored bird begins to take shape.

Periodic photo updates might be nice, but that is about all I would recommend. Major photo documentation of the parts is going to need to be the order of the day to show how they fit together when the new assembly work begins. Anymore than that just opens it up for being more of a hassle than it has any right to be.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back