Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Sculpting finished page 45

polystone resin type pretty heavy. $2500 USD
I'm sorry, but I am ignorant of the materials sector. :facepalm polystone resin It is a modeling clay? I have searched the internet, but can not find it. Where can I find and costs a lot?

I think it is resin with gypsum powder mixed in.

Sorry for the lack of updates lately guy's :$

I had a little trouble with the lips & tendons, I've almost had to start over with them. I've made another good start on them but then I decided to take a break from Bob in an effort to catch up with some unfinished DIY at home here, it also gives me a chance to think about how to proceed when I get back to Bob.
I've asked a local friend of mine to make me a rotocaster :D I'd planned to do it myself as I have ability but what I don't have is the equipment. He's a fabricator by trade & a very good one, he has access to everything he needs to make it & he was keen to give it a go. Its going to cost me a bit but its not much more than it would have cost to do it myself & it will be done better than I would have done.

Here's a little vid of it so far:

Rotocaster_zpsf901c5c0.mp4 Video by LJH74 | Photobucket

:)

Looks like a beauty to me! My personal try at a rotocaster was a failure but I did learn much about them in the process. A question I have is how weight can the motor turn. Because when you place your mold into it if it is not perfectly balanced and centered it will take a much stronger motor than just the weight of the mold. Hope this makes sense.

That makes sense :)

He's going to add gears so that the two rotating rings are linked & he's going to do it so that they don't realign flat again for a number of rotations, I think he said something like 15 turns. So it wont be geared at exactly 2:1. I get a little confused when it comes to gearing so I may be getting these numbers a bit wrong :$
First off it'll be hand cranked, the crank will be removable on a key so at a later date I can motorize it. I do have a 1/2 hp motor I could connect upto it but I'm thinking that maybe a wiper motor would do the job, wiper motors can produce quite a bit of torque.

He's also made it so that the feet swivel & it can be stored flat against a wall. Its big as well, the inside rotating ring is one meter square inside. He's also going to drill holes in the inner ring so that moulds can be mounted in various positions & it'll have a removable mesh to mount smaller moulds to it.

I'm looking forward to using it :D

Looks like a beauty to me! My personal try at a rotocaster was a failure but I did learn much about them in the process. A question I have is how weight can the motor turn. Because when you place your mold into it if it is not perfectly balanced and centered it will take a much stronger motor than just the weight of the mold. Hope this makes sense.

Awesome news! It will come in handy when you cast up the Space Jockey. ;)

Sorry for the lack of updates lately guy's :$

I had a little trouble with the lips & tendons, I've almost had to start over with them. I've made another good start on them but then I decided to take a break from Bob in an effort to catch up with some unfinished DIY at home here, it also gives me a chance to think about how to proceed when I get back to Bob.
I've asked a local friend of mine to make me a rotocaster :D I'd planned to do it myself as I have ability but what I don't have is the equipment. He's a fabricator by trade & a very good one, he has access to everything he needs to make it & he was keen to give it a go. Its going to cost me a bit but its not much more than it would have cost to do it myself & it will be done better than I would have done.

Here's a little vid of it so far:

Rotocaster_zpsf901c5c0.mp4 Video by LJH74 | Photobucket

:)

This is just a beautiful piece of professional equipment. Wow! I so envy you for this ;) Again I´m stunned by the pure commitment to your project. Thumbs up!

That makes sense :)

He's going to add gears so that the two rotating rings are linked & he's going to do it so that they don't realign flat again for a number of rotations, I think he said something like 15 turns. So it wont be geared at exactly 2:1. I get a little confused when it comes to gearing so I may be getting these numbers a bit wrong :$
First off it'll be hand cranked, the crank will be removable on a key so at a later date I can motorize it. I do have a 1/2 hp motor I could connect upto it but I'm thinking that maybe a wiper motor would do the job, wiper motors can produce quite a bit of torque.

He's also made it so that the feet swivel & it can be stored flat against a wall. Its big as well, the inside rotating ring is one meter square inside. He's also going to drill holes in the inner ring so that moulds can be mounted in various positions & it'll have a removable mesh to mount smaller moulds to it.

I'm looking forward to using it :D

A friend of mine made me a wooden one... not the best materials I know, but it was good of him to do it. The gearing is very important. When you see it working it all looks great, but I put a clear, square shaped bottle in it containing water and very quickly realised that it wasn't going to work very well with the gearing it had...

I'll try to explain... with each complete turn of the outer frame, the inner frame turned but it was slightly offset when it came back to the 'flat' position. It took 15 turns of the handle before it returned to its starting position (on the 8th turn the inner frame was at a 90 degree tangent to the outer frame, if that makes sense). In practice this meant that even though the frames are all turning and looking like they are giving a good mix up, the water was just running up and down one side of the bottle. It's difficult to explain without seeing it. It worried me that you mentioned 15 turns so I'm wondering if your friend has geared it the same as my friend did.

Anyway, my friend came and had a look and we tried it with resin and indeed most of the resin was on one side of the bottle when it cured. He swapped out the gearing and in theory it looks like it should work now, but I still haven't tried it with an actual mould.

Edit: Leigh, I just had a look at the video, and it looks like it's operating in the same fashion as mine did. See if you can suspend a square bottle of water in the middle and turn it and you should see what I mean.

Last edited:

Thanks for the feedback on this Alan :)
Its all set up & ready to go in my new workshop (one of the spare bedrooms) I've counted the full rotations of the handle before the frames reset in a flat position, it takes 28 full rotations to reset. I know my friend did a bit of research into this before he chose the gearing but I've yet to test it. I'll take your advise & fit a large milk bottle to it & give it a whirl with a drop of water to see how things go :)
Again I apologise for the lack of Bobage lately Folks but I've been bogged down getting on top of the DIY projects around the house I'd started & not finished, its all coming to an end soon & I'm looking forward to submersing myself back into Bob again :)

I've not visited this thread since you started sculpting it (sorry) , just checked out your finished pics.

You did a great job, very impressed.

You must be VERY pleased with it.

-z

Apples. Apples bob in water. :lol

mele-galleggianti-impressionanti.jpeg

The middle one looks at you with malice and one of these nights she will come to take you.:lol

Sometimes it aint just WHAT ya know....its WHO ya know.....too.
Nice smooth motion on the rack....good luck and may the Rotocasting gods show favor to you and yours...your Casting I mean...
Luck and Success to you...

You probably thought you would never hear this but, nice rack Leigh! ;)

Looks like it will do the trick.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back