The 'Ideal' Obi ANH Derwent Interconnect Replica

Re: The 'Ideal' Obi ANH Derwent Interconnect Replica

I know it's gonna be pricey, but this is one piece on this saber that needs to be perfect!!! :)

Dave
Dave,
I couldn't agree with you more, and so that's why I have to totally disregard the quote I got back today. This shop only wanted to make a semi-accurate one piece interconnector out of steel and then nickel plate it. Inconel machining was not even quoted.

The search continues.

ATL Kenobi

Last edited:

Maybe I missed this already but what about titanium? Seems to have a nice grey cast to it... Perhaps it's too lightweight?
I hope something comes of this thread, even if I can't afford it!

iconel is the same material as the original part. it seems just to be a bit tougher to machine...other than that we can have a great replica in time.

Maybe I missed this already but what about titanium? Seems to have a nice grey cast to it... Perhaps it's too lightweight?
I hope something comes of this thread, even if I can't afford it!
If you think Inconel is expensive, try pricing Titanium. :eek

Hey everyone! It's past time for me to tell you a bit about how things stand. I have been hoping to get things further along but the truth is that I am going to have to pull back from the hobby a lot for the foreseeable future. I am just finishing preparations for a violin-making workshop I will be attending for most of June, and between that and some family changes I haven't had time to attend properly to this project, and I won't really be able to do much until July.

I am VERY grateful to ATL for taking this on, he has demonstrated himself to be inspiringly reliable, something of a bulldog in terms of getting the job done, and a real credit to the hobby.

I think we're going to be faced with a price crunch on an Inconel replica, desirable and cool as that would be. Ideally a shop will be found which will cope with Inconel, give us steel as an alternative for a nice cheap price, and so on.

I think Darth Lars' idea about plating for color is worth thinking about. It's not something I would have considered originally but as a way to impart the right color to an alternative material it has interest. Most shops won't discount much for working in brass, so IF plating is done we may as well do it on steel.

Anyway that's my thought for the day. :)

what type of shops do this work, I live in an area that has many machine shops.. there used to be a naval research center around the corner from where I live and a small reserve base also. if someone can give me an idea I could contact a few places......or atleast get contact for ATL so he could talk to them....

pm me or email either way

In a related note I just thought I would mention that I was lucky enough to acquire laszlo's interconnect and that it just showed up today from GB. Thanks again for a smooth transaction on such a rare and pricy item. It really goes to show that there are great people out there and its nice to be part of the gang.

Ill try to get some photos up this week as well as pull out the calipers and get some measurements pulled. i want to get a cad file built up if for no other reason to cross check with the other interconnects out there. Ill get some more notes up here soon and I’m really interested in getting some of these made.

Thanks

-Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

Great purchase!!
This isn't directed towards you mspaw but I didn't post any measurements for this piece because I would hate to see a semi-correct version made by someone who is trying to cash in on it and not trying to make the most accurate version available.

FB

Agreed, I am more than willing to share but i too want to make sure that whomever produces a run has the best info availible. If nothing else it would be interesting to compair between the versions that are out there. Ive also been looking at the surface finish and some of the interesting weathering on it.

More soon.

-Michael

I hope it wasnt pointed at me either....I wasnt looking to make the piece, just do the footwork to find a shop that can do it. I can only imagine all the work that goes into doing a run of anything and with a baby on the way dont have the time to do it.

ATL can still do the run, I just figured I would offer to look up some shops because of where I am ...Naval Air Development Center was here for years, but since closed down. I can only hope there would still be machine shops here. Also I am near teh Willow Grove Naval Reserve Center, before cutbacks it was the largest reserve base on teh east coast. it housed everything that had a reservist portion.

so if it was pointed at someone like me....I was just looking to help.....

No! I wasn't refering to anyone here trying to help!! Sorry if it came off that way.

I've seen, in the past, people doing not that accurate replicas once discoveries are made. Rather than taking the time to do what's best for the hobby, they make what's best at the moment and cash in. If you've been here for a while, you'll see it happen.

These type of projects always take more than 1 person and teamwork is the best thing!

FB

what type of shops do this work, I live in an area that has many machine shops.. there used to be a naval research center around the corner from where I live and a small reserve base also. if someone can give me an idea I could contact a few places......or atleast get contact for ATL so he could talk to them....

pm me or email either way
damon5973,
I certainly can use all the help I can get! At this point, I'd really like to find a local area shop that will do the work. It'd just make it easier for me to deal with them - delivering material, monitoring protoypes and progress, and so on. If you want to contact your local machine shops and find out if they have expertise and tooling specifically for machining Inconel or nickel alloys, it'd be good information to keep in our back pocket.

In a related note I just thought I would mention that I was lucky enough to acquire laszlo's interconnect and that it just showed up today from GB. Thanks again for a smooth transaction on such a rare and pricy item. It really goes to show that there are great people out there and its nice to be part of the gang.

Ill try to get some photos up this week as well as pull out the calipers and get some measurements pulled. i want to get a cad file built up if for no other reason to cross check with the other interconnects out there. Ill get some more notes up here soon and I’m really interested in getting some of these made.

Thanks

-Michael
Michael-
I'd certainly like a different set of dimensions to compare with what I have. Perhaps "average" them if there are differences. PM sent.

These type of projects always take more than 1 person and teamwork is the best thing!

FB

AMEN FB!

ATL Kenobi

BTW - I now have four bars of Inconel. I certainly have a vested interested in seeing this project through!:lol

I vote no averaging. :)

Important details like chamfers and how much edge remains visible are sometimes at outer ends of the range of what is seen on existing balance pipes. Of which I have to date examined 12, FWIW. :)

IMO for these issues we have to keep the known range in mind but go back to the reference to make final determinations using (oh those familiar words) photographic comparisons. Luckily much of this work has already been done during the development of the design for the Obee1 emitter.

Ill see if I can get some measurements and hand them off this weekend if I first can get a bit of rest. :)

-Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

With most modern machine shops who run CNC machinery, a 3D solid model is very important. It is far easier to program the G code from a solid model rather than a 2D CAD picture. It cuts a step out if the CAM programmer does not have to 'build' a model first. Since you are paying for time, this can get quite expensive depending on the model. I do a little CNC machining myself and am capable of making a 3D model if anyone is interested. As far as machining these, I would definitely not be able to do inconel. I know there are others here who could do this also but I thought I would offer my help in case anyone wants it.

I really have been working on this.

The one shop that has even responded to accurately making the interconnector gave me the following cost for 20 units:

The first article/prototype.$1,250.00

Material cost (Inconel)......$ 361.50

Machining unit cost for 20.$ 395.00

Total cost per interconnector = $473.72

This cost excludes shipping the material to the shop and the shop sending the completed units back to me.

I'm still in for one. Anyone else?

ATL

Yikes! at that price :lol...

Has anyone looked into casting 'em in pewter?

You're still planning steel too right? That won't be the cost for steel would it? Any chance for aluminum ones?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back