The 'Ideal' Obi ANH Derwent Interconnect Replica

Although I will still try to get more information from RR, today I had a long conversation with a guy who casts inconel for vintage jet parts, and although the Derwent is earlier than what he usually works on, he took a look at detailed photos and some drawings and said the piece was definitely machined. He also had some interesting ideas about alloys which I'll look into and come back on. :)

There are particular grades of stainless steel (namely of martensite composition) that are more easily corrodable than others. However, it will take a tightly controlled exposure to reach the exact shade of discoloration. The advantage of this approach would be a finish of high endurance, as opposed to a reactive film on steel. But for accuracy sake, nothing tops steel.

Steel is easier to machine and color while still being durable and heavy, and that is the sense in which I would say it tops all non-superalloy options.

Stainless has possibilities though, and I have not rejected it entirely.

Not trying to get off topic here, Andres.
Other than the material of the balance pipe, i am equally curious as to how we are going to to mount it on the grenade stem. ;)
I know we had discussions on how the adapter should look like from screen caps (and kudos to you and the others for having done a helluva research :D ) but since the sides of the emitter on the inside is smooth, how is the adapter going to stay in place? There are no internal grooves for the adapter to hinge on. One route is to go with JB Weld, but as for others who do not want to attach both emitter and adapter together permanently, i cant think of another way which can provide the same level of stability and robustness.
What are your thoughts? :)

Re: The 'Ideal' Obi ANH Derwent Interconnect Replica

Bump....

Just going through old posts toy see whats up with possible parts options. I have to say, Im blow away with the research, its awesome. As a industrial design guy with some idea of materials and process its great to see such attenion being paid to this.

keep up the amazing work

-Michael

I was just wondering about this project...

I'd sure love to get this one this year....

Steve

Bump....

Just going through old posts toy see whats up with possible parts options. I have to say, Im blow away with the research, its awesome. As a industrial design guy with some idea of materials and process its great to see such attenion being paid to this.

keep up the amazing work

-Michael

Me too! :)

Actually I'm doing a little legwork on this project trying to get additional quotes for material and machining. My very unofficial review of this thread seems to indicate that 58% wanted Inconel, 38% wanted plain steel, and 4% wanted "other", so I'm working with those numbers in mind.

Other than the ring-of-holes area being bead/sand blasted, I don't believe the finish was ever nailed down. I know the one I have is basically raw metal, while the one Laszlo is selling (unfortunately :( ) seems to be bead blasted all over.

Drawings for the reflector/attachment scheme needs to be work on as well since those parts will probably be needed at the same time.

For those concerned, anything I do on this project will be closely monitored and approved by Serafino.

ATL

I vote for "same materials as the original", at whatever cost. It's just the way an ULTIMATE, once and for all, let's put this baby to bed, get it done and be done with it replica should be made. :)

Same.

Same.

My hat is off to you ATL, we appreciate all of your efforts very much!!! :):thumbsup

-Ss

I'd like an original materials one myself...unless the cost is ridiculous...
I guess we have to wait and see the various costs...
It would decide if I got one or two...

I vote for original materials too, but will be quite happy with what the majority goes for. :)

Dave

Glad I saw this thread again!

I'd be getting two and would love to have original materials unless the price would be insane.

I'm still waiting on a quote from the single machine shop that I've aproached. Initial indications are that it's not going to be inexpensive - steel or Inconel. It's a complicated part to replicate. I've found two other local machine shops that will process Inconel and I'm now planning on getting quotes from them as well.

But I do have this!!! :)

inconelbars.JPG

These are two bars of Inconel 718, probably 16 pounds apiece.

ATL

I know it's gonna be pricey, but this is one piece on this saber that needs to be perfect!!! :)

Dave

WOW..impressive...curious as to what that costs....shipping must have been just a bit high...add in machining I hope these arent outrageous...

Does iconel machine as smoothly? is it a tough metal to work with???

WOW..impressive...curious as to what that costs....shipping must have been just a bit high...add in machining I hope these arent outrageous...

Does iconel machine as smoothly? is it a tough metal to work with???

Scrap Inconel goes for about $10 a pound. I didn't pay quite that much. Shipping was $15, but UPS wasn't very careful with it. The holes visible on the shipping box were compliments of them.

If machined properly, Inconel will be as smooth as any metal, but it is dificult to machine. Because Inconel does not conduct heat very well (that's why it's used in jet engines), all the heat gets transfered to the cutting tool, usually dulling it quickly, which then tempers the Inconel making it even harder to cut. A stream of coolant usually is directed at the cutting edge to prevent this, but it does require special equipment.

ATL

exactly the answers I was looking for...interesting though..scrap was used? neat...

thanks you for the answers...

I am eagerly awaiting to see any updates..

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back