So, no RPF love for the new pilot, Poe Dameron?

Hello all,
Late to this thread, but I joined the RPF because of it...my 8 year-old wants to be Poe Dameron for Halloween, so I'm having to craft a costume more or less from scratch. Doesn't need to be screen-accurate, but if I'm investing time/money, I'd like to do it right. That said, I'm using this helmet for the base, which means I'll have to craft the cheek and ear pieces- I'm using EVA foam mats and hot glue, but if anyone has some templates or guides or anything else which could help me plan it out, I'd REALLY appreciate it. I've reviewed the wonderful work on this thread and it's given me loads of inspiration- I'm currently tackling the survival vest (which is a whole 'nuther issue).

Side note- I used to fly in the Navy, and it's really been interesting to see how well the Resistance Pilot outfit maps to the gear I used to wear...

Actually, the black seem to be the screen accurate pair. Initially it was though that they were the brown boots dyed or painted black because that was the only model for sale via Po-Zu. I almost bought a pair but held-off as the soles did not match, light tan on the brown, vs. black.

Are the brown in stock too? That's the screen version (stained/dyed black, but with brown showing through)...

Actually, the black seem to be the screen accurate pair. Initially it was though that they were the brown boots dyed or painted black because that was the only model for sale via Po-Zu. I almost bought a pair but held-off as the soles did not match, light tan on the brown, vs. black.

They stained the soles, too. You can even see the tan thread and rubber coming through on Poe's boots, where the black Po-Zu boots have black thread on their black soles. Wherever Poe's boots get scuffed or worn, the brown/tan colors are revealed underneath:

11149558_774225482700068_8538147126524212081_n.jpg

At least, that's what I'm seeing...

I don't see any scuffing showing tan coming through... I just see fuller-earth and similar product being added on top. My vote is for black being the correct color.

Hey, so I'm still searching for the sleeve/collar trim for Poe's flight suit. I've bought the elastic that some have made work really well on theirs, but it's pretty wide and I have very thin arms so I'm hoping to find something closer or a method to make my own. I've been through everything here and on the Rebel Legion forums with little luck.

Any chance anyone has a lead they haven't posted about yet? Anyone who has completed this costume, can you tell me what you ended up using on yours?

One thing I've noticed is that the trim on Poe's suit looks sort of fuzzy, almost like corduroy:

Poe_Dameron_infobox.png

BUT the close up from Jess Pava's suit on display looks like a pretty tight, clean weave:

IMG_4853.jpg

Has anyone else noticed this? Any thoughts? I did find a company that makes a fat corduroy that looks very close on Alibaba, but it's coming from China and there's no good way to communicate with the seller to explain what I want. (Also it would come as wider fabric I'd have to cut down and pipe if I did that.)

The trim on the costumes really does look ready made to me aside from all of that. There's even a break in it on Jess' costume near the shoulder where you can see that a new piece was added on which makes me think that this may have come from a pre-made roll:

jess_sleeve.png

The discrepancy in texture between Jess' and Poe's trims seem to suggest that they're not the same OR that Poe's was distressed more to soften it maybe. So right now I've got two options: try to alter the elastic or try make my own from scratch using cartridge pleating (which I've tried and it's not easy for ridges this small) and neither option is ideal. Any help would be awesome! Thanks.

Attachments

• Poe_Dameron_infobox.png
    Poe_Dameron_infobox.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 215
Haven't had a chance to do it yet, but I was planning to experiment with a dollhouse pleater I purchased on Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/listing/101757119/pretty-pleat-pleater-medium-half-inch?ref=shop_home_active_2

View attachment 641944
The fabric is pushed into the slots with the tool (or a skewer) and then pressed with an iron to "set". It would take a number of passes to do the whole trim strip.

From your second photo, it appears the pleats are "tacked" by hand to the backing strip.

My idea was to sew a backing strip (2 7/8 x 2 plus seam allowance) with the seam centered to hide under the pleated section. Then I would pin this backing strip to a grid. The pleated section would be pinned on top, using a scale printout of your second photo as a guide for spreading the pleats and thumb-pressing or flattening the ends. Then the pleats would be hand-stitched or tacked to the backing from behind. It may also be necessary to tack between the pleats as well.

As I mentioned, I haven't been able to follow through yet, so my "theory" may or may not work. I also planned to experiment on how much "fold under" to use on the pleated section.... it needs enough allowance for successful tacking but not so much as to be bulky.

I purchased a nice orange canvas duck from Fabric.com that's compatible in color with the Cordura. It launders to that "fuzzy" look. I just hope it's not too bulky to pleat, but it doesn't seem to be.

OTOH, one of our local members did an awesome suit with the stretch denim and dyed trim. It would be a lot easier ... and not as hot ... as the full-fledged Cordura and pleated trim.

So we have some good options. :)

Has anyone bought jacket greeblies from somewhere other than here? I was hoping to get them from JJ Griffin, but I've been met with radio silence and am running out of time before Comic-Con.

You can find some jacket greebles on Etsy and Shapeways. I suggest checking those sites out until a better solution becomes available.

Has anyone bought jacket greeblies from somewhere other than here? I was hoping to get them from JJ Griffin, but I've been met with radio silence and am running out of time before Comic-Con.

Has anyone found any "good enough" alternatives to the Po-Zu Well 2 Black boots? I hope to be able to pick them up, but $250 boots are quite the investment after a custom jacket and 3D printed helmet and/or blaster rifle. In case the budget gets tight, I'd like to have options.

did you ever find other boot options? $250 boots are not in my budget either.

did you ever find other boot options? $250 boots are not in my budget either.
Things ended up getting rushed as Comic-Con approached, so I just went with a pair of black boots I already owned. I'm still keeping an eye out for alternatives, but at this point I may as well just save up for the Po-Zus since the next time I plan to wear this outfit is maybe December for Rogue One.

anyone tried the costumebase TFA pilot suit? wondering if it's worth a shot, sewing one from scratch isn't really an option for me.

http://www.thecostumebase.com/resistance-pilot-tfa-costume/

Pretty good price, it seems like, but the suit would need work. The leg pockets don't look quite right and the left lower leg pocket is missing the ladder-like stitching, and the color of the suit isn't dark enough so it would have to be dyed. The chestbox and flak vest look pretty bad...

Thx for the opinion. The chestbox is not included, so i would prob diy one. Not sure about the vest, i could perhaps modify it or replace it. I might also be up for doing some minor changes to pockets, if enough material is present to alter. I just dont want to start from scratch on a suit.

Does anyone know anywhere else to get the chest box hose, hose world doesn't ship to the U.S. and I can't find that type of hose anywhere else.
I'm also needing a pair of gloves if anyone has an extra they'd be willing to sell.

Not sure if you are still looking for an accurate TFA resistance pilot hose, but I am fabricating lightweight ones now.

what do you guys think of this color? 2nd pic is next to a bright orange fabric that I suspect is around the color of the OT pilot suits.

jsuit.jpg jsuit2.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back