Opinions: What do you consider the most iconic version of the Luke ESB saber?

Hecubus114

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Going to be making one soon, and am not sure which "version" I want to do. I was reading about all the different ones in the book stickied above, but still am unsure. What do you guys consider the "official" version, and why? (as in: if you're only going to display ONE, which would it be?).

Last edited:
It's hard to pick, I'm pretty split between ESB Graflex and the V2.
ESB because it's the first time he truly uses the lightsaber to fight; The V2 because it's truly his​ lightsaber and the one he actually uses in ROTJ (v the Hero)

I think he’s asking: rivets or screws, thin Mylar tape or large textured tape, small grip screws or not, 2 red buttons or missing red button, flipped or not flipped circuit card, flipped Kobold or regular Kobold.

If you're talking about the Luke ESB saber in particular that's easy. The hero prop as seen in the Wampa Cave closeup, and as a belt hanger on Hoth and Cloud City. These are the clearest times we see it in the movie, and I think they're all the same hero prop, as they all show black grip fasteners, upside down kobold clip, and gold leads toward the clamp lever. I only have one "version" of Luke ESB saber on display and it's this one.

zkhoth.jpgsaberwiki_swcreators_lsesbsab2.jpgswempire_saber.jpg

The one in the snow is a bladed stunt, that’s why the grips are not as tall or crisp at the top of the grip as they should be.

I've heard that said before but I have a hard time believing it. Its details match the belt hangers in the other two images I posted, down to the slightly off grip alignment between kobold and clamp. Does the assertion that it's a bladed stunt come from the story of it being wiggled by a rod attached to the end beneath the snow? Because it wouldn't be far fetched to do this with an un-bladed hero prop. After all, it does get a hero worthy closeup on film.

I think he’s asking: rivets or screws, thin Mylar tape or large textured tape, small grip screws or not, 2 red buttons or missing red button, flipped or not flipped circuit card, flipped Kobold or regular Kobold.

That is correct!

If you're talking about the Luke ESB saber in particular that's easy. The hero prop as seen in the Wampa Cave closeup, and as a belt hanger on Hoth and Cloud City. These are the clearest times we see it in the movie, and I think they're all the same hero prop, as they all show black grip fasteners, upside down kobold clip, and gold leads toward the clamp lever. I only have one "version" of Luke ESB saber on display and it's this one.

View attachment 780796View attachment 780797View attachment 780795

Hmmm... I'd have to agree with you I think. This version has smooth (not textured) tape, correct?

As for the popular choice of silver grip fasteners, these are also never seen on screen. Only in promotional photographs. Screencaps show the grip fasteners (whether screws or rivets) as dark enough to blend in with the black grips.

Wampa cave seems to be popular. With that 2 grip off center of the control box

My personal favorite (graflex wise) is the dagobah saber seen on screen. Not the way it rests today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wampa cave one has some weird stuff going on with the grips, like worn down. I think it is different to the bespin belt hanger - which appears to have black screws on the grips. I did the bespin belt hanger because it is the closest non-stunt to the movie climax. I think this saber is the one from promos also. Plus, if you are super stuck on details you don't need to find a graflex with the matching bottom stamp like you would with the wampa cave. The stamp of the bespin belt hanger saber is completely unknown and therefore you can imagine anything you want there. You can't even see if it is a folmer or not, so you can use either and spare yourself a nitpicky headache.

With regard to black grip fasteners, what do people favour? Rivets? Phillips head screws? Hex head screws? Or is it all conjectural anyway since they can't truly be idenetified?

My ESB has silver phillips heads screws but I'd like to change them - anyone know where to find appropriate sized black hex head screws?

Please...

Everyone knows that the best / most iconic version of the GRAFLEX is what is lovingly referred to as the so-called "Mary Sue GRAFLEX" aka "The Force Awakens GRAFLEX Of Convenience".

Excuse me while I duck for cover and run like the coward that I am out of this Thread...

....go with the Bespin :)

You seek Wanna Wanga for the parts you are looking for:

http://wannawanga.com/shop/

Last edited:
I think the original idea was to have them blend in. They wanted to fasten the grips down without making it obvious, and you almost can't tell in some shots. I almost wonder if the glue failed at the back first, and that's why the screws ended up there.

over time the paint probably wore off and it just so happened to look awesome. I think the only distinguishing factor was the obvious section taken out of the grip fins that shows up on camera.

The only graflex that can be traced has phillips head screws and then there's the shot with R2-D2 bumping into his thigh. properly blown up you can see the "x" of the phillips socket.

sorry.. :) anyway, the idea of hex heads or rivets came later, so for me they're farther from the ideal prop.
ESBG1.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back