ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies FOUND, Update in 1st Post

WOW, what an improvement :thumbsup

Markus

Last edited:

Tornadoes???

For the Denix, I drilled out that center area that the Denix screws tap into. Make a BIG hole. Then I and used a brass machine screw of the correct size and made the escutcheons out of brass nuts that I turned round in a drill, but you can get these:

$15 for the Mauser.

Screw, Brass Nut and Escutcheon.

MAB96.jpg

Gun Grip - PISTOL GRIP SCREWS

But the wooden Denix will take a bit of work. After reshaping you will need to put the grooves back with a v groove file.

They also have the 32 line grip repros for $95...little steep

WW100%20SMALL.jpg

http://www.gungrip.com/searchresults.jsp?searchTerm=c96

Lol! I wish I had a basement for all these TN tornadoes. The MGC's are a perfect fit. Almost a little too perfect if you know what I mean. If I go with wood, it will still be a lot of work because the screw pulls everything out of alignment. Remember, they are Denix, so they did have a screw on both sides, not one that joined the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Two Greeblies FOUND, Update in 1st Post

Malcolm's broken leg is on the mend, but he's not yet up to standing for a long time in front of the injection molding machine. He still has some operations to repair ligaments and other damage so I'm guessing it won't be too soon, but he is still positive about doing the parts.

Thanks Chris. I hope he heals up. I'm cool if it takes a while for him to mend. I'm glad to hear he sounds positive with regard to getting these back into production!! He'll make a lot of us SW geeks happy ;) hehe..

I haven't checked this thread in about a month until someone said the comlink part was found. That is a seriously cool find!

Won a POS trigger on Gunbroker. Can't wait to see if it can be refinished.

When are you guys gonna start posting some build-up progress pics?!

I missed out on this kit but I'm excited to see some photos, get to work!! :)

Won a POS trigger on Gunbroker. Can't wait to see if it can be refinished.

I got an original trigger, mag plate, and site, and I will also be trying to convert those pieces to fit the MGC. We'll see.

The mag plate can definitely be done easily at least. I haven't gotten into the trigger yet.

The trigger is not a problem either, like I wrote earlier in this thread.

Now we just have to find a way to get that damn MGC upper sent to you "AHHHHHH!!!"
Still laying in bed, so I couldn´t take it to the P.O. yet :unsure

At least you know I TRIED, since the lower made it through finally ;)

Markus

So what is the consensus? Was this gun painted black or not?

So what is the consensus? Was this gun painted black or not?

It looks likely that the whole Mauser and the mount were painted black for filming. Except the bull-barrel looks like it might have been masked off and left unpainted leaving the deep dark blued finish the barrel had from Naked Runner, which actually looks pretty cool paired together with the dark paint on the Mauser. It's like two-toned..

We can't be too sure about the finish beneath the paint though. Like others have mentioned earlier in this thread, the mystery disk, chips and scratches look pretty bright compared to the finish the Mauser had in the two Pre-Pro photos without paint.

-Carson

Last edited:

I agree, but like Kaligar lenses, it would be very painful to cover that natural look with black paint.

I removed the bolt. It really is simple. The only hangup I had with the MGC is when I rotated the firing pin, it wouldn't pop out. I had to pull the bolt out some and push the pin out from the other side. This was accomplished by pushing it with a screwdriver on the open side of the bolt.

MGC really funked the bolt up where the extractor is. It is pinned to the bolt which leaves a nasty hole. There is also a nasty seam down the middle of the bolt. I sanded as much as I could, but there are still some deep areas that wouldn't sand out. I'm gonna experiment with some solder to see if I can fill them.

The bolt would look really good like this or blued some, but in all those Solo pics, it looks BLACK. :(

c96extractor.jpg

c96bolt.jpg

I haven't been as daring as you in taking mine apart.

Hey, is your safety switch loose? Mine has a lot of play in it. If you rotate the gun it will fall forward. It works fine, but I'd like it to stay in one place when the gun is handled.

I haven't been as daring as you in taking mine apart.

Hey, is your safety switch loose? Mine has a lot of play in it. If you rotate the gun it will fall forward. It works fine, but I'd like it to stay in one place when the gun is handled.

I think mine is loose too. Wonder if you can shim it some with superglue or something.

I used solder to fill the holes. This stuff is a complete bezotch. It does not want to stick to the metal. You have to play with it and scoot it around until it stays where you want it to. It also doesn't completely fill the hole. You can still make out the faint outline of the circles.

Also, if you sand it and have to retouch an imperfection, it will screw up your previous work. :angry

I sanded a bit more and this is the best I can come up with.

finalbolt1.jpg

finalbolt2.jpg

Nice work on the MGC clean up.

The Bolt on the HERO seems painted in the production pics but if I recall correctly, I seem to remember seeing a lighter colored bolt and dark extractor in some of the film scans.

Take a look at this image.
HanChillinAtChalmuns-ANH.jpg

tumblr_m5n7asoAzF1qihdkio1_1280.jpg

The bolt is light with a dark extractor like on a working Mauser. Prob since it did have to cycle and fire blanks, paint would rub off easily.

Also note the rear sight, light number area, dark elevator.
In these images it looks more like the Mauser and scope /mount parts are all "original" colors/finishes. The Grill looks darker black, maybe just the molded black plastic cylinder color.

Also note in this last shot the missing left antenna/pushrod and track.;)

also proves again that this is the true Greedo killer...

Last edited:

Thanks for those images! I was planning on bluing the extractor tomorrow. I think that the dark extractor occurs naturally on some mausers as seen in this pic. (Edit: re-read your post. I thought you meant the dark extractor was due to black paint.)

13828145_5.jpg

Last edited:

The extractor is prob blue because it is tempered harder. The bolt is just raw steel since it is being rubbed constantly in the slide channel.

With the soldiering thing, it will stick nice but you have to use flux and get the surrounding metal hot enough. I use a HD soldiering iron rather than a torch to be sure the temp does not got up to the melting point of zink. about 780 F

Use low melt soldier that can be blued (if you want/need that) Some melt at 300f-400f but the frame metal in that area must be that temp too which...takes some time and patients.

Last edited:

Good to know. Thanks. Here is the blued extractor. The cheapo metal makes the bolt look too shiny. Might have to dull it down some. I should have taken before and after pics. JH, care to snap a pic of your bolt? :lol

finalextractor.jpg

looks good. you could just wipe it with some 000 steel wool or something to age if you want but looks like you know what your doing.

Hows that super blue work on the frame? Does it work on the soldier?

Just tried a few spots on the frame. Didn't blue the bolt, so I don't know how the solder will take to it. People have been using this stuff on their Blade Runner blasters with good results, so I figure the mgc and denix are no different.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back