Where to buy stunt blades in 2014... (Updated with SOURCE!!)

Re: Where to buy stunt blades in 2014...

I have two that I bought from Random Sabers a few years back (and no, they are NOT for sale). They are 39.5" long (counting the small embedded aluminum tip) and are 1/2" plus 1/32" in outside diameter.

RandomSabers blades are texalium, not carbon fiber, even though they were advertised as carbon fiber. Most likely he was misinformed by his supplier.

red4 - Randomsabers said that his supplier was Kilwell. Which makes me wonder: which material was used for Ep III, carbon fiber or texalium, and which would be better for dueling?

SB

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

If we can verify what Ryan Wieber (sabershop) used in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBN7wdISQO4 then we should probably arrange the group buy for that material. It looks silvery, but he says it's carbon fiber, so I don't know what to think anymore. But the material he tested in that video is impressive, so we should find out what exactly it is, and possibly his source.

If we can verify what Ryan Wieber (sabershop) used in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBN7wdISQO4 then we should probably arrange the group buy for that material. It looks silvery, but he says it's carbon fiber, so I don't know what to think anymore. But the material he tested in that video is impressive, so we should find out what exactly it is, and possibly his source.

I'll ask him today what the material is and get back to you. As for his source, on the stunt blades page he states that he gets them from Kilwell as well, but he calls them carbon fiber with a kevlar weave.

SB

Kevlar is correct. The carbon fibers run the length of the tube and are wrapped together with kevlar, and the whole thing is bonded with resin.

So is this wrapped Kevlar supposed to be shiny? Because Random Sabers and Saber Shop's blades appear to be identical. Both are shiny. My RS blades look just like the SS blades in the video red4 posted.

So Ryan Wieber got back to me, and said that the blades that he sells on Sabershop are the texalium tubes that come from Kilwell in NZ.

SB

I thought so. While they're not carbon fiber, my RS blades have stood up for quite some time. I've only had 1 break ever, and it happened when the blade was very cold, so it shouldn't be that big of a problem. Good to know though.

So Ryan Wieber got back to me, and said that the blades that he sells on Sabershop are the texalium tubes that come from Kilwell in NZ.

SB

I see. I guess we're going with texalium then.

I've only had 1 break ever, and it happened when the blade was very cold, so it shouldn't be that big of a problem.

Can you please elaborate on how that happened? How cold was your blade? What forces caused the break? This isn't sounding good.

So is this wrapped Kevlar supposed to be shiny? Because Random Sabers and Saber Shop's blades appear to be identical. Both are shiny. My RS blades look just like the SS blades in the video red4 posted.

The shininess actually comes from a thin aluminum coating whose purpose I'm not sure of. Might be some kind of weather resistance.

Okay, so I have a bit of an update: Jo at Kilwell got back to me and said that their US distributor is Ryan Ure, of RandomSabers, so I sent him another email, as the first email came back as a "could not deliver".

I'll keep you posted.

SB

Ryan Ure doesn't even have a convenient way to contact him, and his website is offline. Why would Kilwell keep him on as their main US distributor?

Also, if Ryan Wieber used Kilwell rods, how did he get them? Did he buy them from Ryan Ure? Is that why he's not selling them anymore either, because Ryan Ure closed shop?

I have a bad feeling we've hit a wall.

By the way, I used the Wayback Machine and found a picture of my old lightsaber that Ryan Ure made for me.

wayfarer_by_action_figure_opera-d7i54rb.jpg

I've since turned it into scrap :p

Last edited:

As long as they keep a defunct U.S. distributer on their "list", we may all be out of luck on ever acquiring these rods again. Sounds like we would have to get Ryan Ure to contact Kilwell to dissolve his relationship with them.

Can you please elaborate on how that happened? How cold was your blade? What forces caused the break? This isn't sounding good.

I wasn't present when it broke, but it was winter, snow everywhere, in UT, so I'm guessing between 30F-40F was the outside temperature. Knowing who was using them, brute force is the most likely cause of the break. Years of choreographed use hasn't shown any wear other than where the set screws are. I've owned 3 total, including the replacement for the broken one, over the space of 7 years and haven't had any problems, so I wouldn't be too worried.

That is correct, Ryan Ure is the US distributor. Last I heard, it sounded like he was going to turn over that responsibility to Ryan Wieber, with Randomsabers not being up anymore. This was within the last few months. I haven't asked anymore since, but I could ask again.

red4, that's a nice saber. By "scrap," what do you mean? Turned into something else or just beaten to death?

I wasn't present when it broke, but it was winter, snow everywhere, in UT, so I'm guessing between 30F-40F was the outside temperature. Knowing who was using them, brute force is the most likely cause of the break. Years of choreographed use hasn't shown any wear other than where the set screws are. I've owned 3 total, including the replacement for the broken one, over the space of 7 years and haven't had any problems, so I wouldn't be too worried.

That is correct, Ryan Ure is the US distributor. Last I heard, it sounded like he was going to turn over that responsibility to Ryan Wieber, with Randomsabers not being up anymore. This was within the last few months. I haven't asked anymore since, but I could ask again.

red4, that's a nice saber. By "scrap," what do you mean? Turned into something else or just beaten to death?

I still would like to know what "brute" forces were applied to the rod. I don't want to be able to break mine simply by whacking a tree really really fffffking hard. If I can break the rod by swinging it with my arms and hitting it against a boulder, or a tree, or a street lamp, then I'm not sure it's as strong as I like.

I've dueled with metal conduit pipes as blades, which my friend and I bent pretty badly by whacking them together. They're some kind of steel. We whacked our fingers pretty bad too, but not enough to stop the duel. So I really want to put my texalium blades to extreme dueling use. They need to be more durable than conduit pipes, but less painful on the fingers.

Ryan Wieber isn't selling any rods either. He's not selling anything anymore, not even his Novus hilts.

By "scrap" I mean I took it apart for 2 reasons:
1. I was not satisfied with it.
2. To see if I could. Turns out it was just held together with friction. I was able to pry the pieces apart with a metal rod and a concrete patio. When I get my next hilt made, I'm going to make sure the sections are held together with screws as well as friction.

I've since used the pommel of the Wayfarer as a makeshift hammer for small applications.

If this plan falls apart, I'm going to test out a polycarbonate tube with an oak dowel insert. Oak dowels on their own are decent, and polycarbonate tubes on their own are impressive enough. I want to see what their combined efforts yield.

Last edited:

I still would like to know what "brute" forces were applied to the rod. I don't want to be able to break mine simply by whacking a tree really really fffffking hard.

Ryan Wieber isn't selling any rods either. He's not selling anything anymore, not even his Novus hilts.

By "scrap" I mean I took it apart for 2 reasons:
1. I was not satisfied with it.
2. To see if I could. Turns out it was just held together with friction. I was able to pry the pieces apart with a metal rod and a concrete patio. When I get my next hilt made, I'm going to make sure the sections are held together with screws as well as friction.

I've since used the pommel of the Wayfarer as a makeshift hammer for small applications.

By brute force, I mean fighting without pulling your blows. I have a hard time imagining anything like these blades not breaking when hitting against a tree really really fffffing hard. I'm guessing you've seen the stress test from Sabershop, but just in case, here it is:

Video

While not on the same level, I'm guessing this is the sort of stuff that happened to my blade while I was away, not to mention it was more brittle in the cold weather.

I understand that Ryan W isn't selling anything right now, but I've seen him do small runs every once in a while, and occasionally he makes some for the annual LCC. I still think he could sell the blades if he became the US distributor, even if he didn't sell hilts. But that remains to be seen.

Dang, you weren't kidding when you said scrap. It is interesting to look at it again, knowing that that's how it was made. At least it's useful for something. ;)

The reason 1" O.D. thick-walled polycarbonate tubes are so great for sparring is that there is nothing inside the blade. Because they are hollow and have some flex (but not too much) is what allows them to absorb force/shock so well. if you put a dowel in the tube, the blade will fail much sooner. I know this from personal experience. I've done hard contact with those tubes before for a lightsaber choreography video I did many years ago, both with something in the tube and without. Without can last you years. With will last you maybe a month or three of sparring 5 days a week.

By brute force, I mean fighting without pulling your blows. I have a hard time imagining anything like these blades not breaking when hitting against a tree really really fffffing hard. I'm guessing you've seen the stress test from Sabershop, but just in case, here it is:

Video

While not on the same level, I'm guessing this is the sort of stuff that happened to my blade while I was away, not to mention it was more brittle in the cold weather.

I understand that Ryan W isn't selling anything right now, but I've seen him do small runs every once in a while, and occasionally he makes some for the annual LCC. I still think he could sell the blades if he became the US distributor, even if he didn't sell hilts. But that remains to be seen.

Dang, you weren't kidding when you said scrap. It is interesting to look at it again, knowing that that's how it was made. At least it's useful for something. ;)

I just posted that video in this thread a short while ago. And the forces Ryan and his dad apply to the texalium rod to get it to break seem to be superhuman. The notion that they're not superhuman is what bothers me. I don't want to be able to break it using my own strength. I'd rather get cartilage fatigue before a broken rod.

The reason 1" O.D. thick-walled polycarbonate tubes are so great for sparring is that there is nothing inside the blade. Because they are hollow and have some flex (but not too much) is what allows them to absorb force/shock so well. if you put a dowel in the tube, the blade will fail much sooner. I know this from personal experience. I've done hard contact with those tubes before for a lightsaber choreography video I did many years ago, both with something in the tube and without. Without can last you years. With will last you maybe a month or three of sparring 5 days a week.

Those 1" tubes are too wide. I don't want a rod thicker than 3/4".
Can you elaborate on your tests with solid cores?

Last edited:

I currently use 1/2" (ID) PVC, but it's too darn heavy to swing around and you have to pull your hits like crazy.
Mandalorian444 - What part of Utah are you in?

Last edited by a moderator:

I just posted that video in this thread a short while ago. And the forces Ryan and his dad apply to the texalium rod to get it to break seem to be superhuman. The notion that they're not superhuman is what bothers me. I don't want to be able to break it using my own strength. I'd rather get cartilage fatigue before a broken rod.

I thought someone did but was too lazy to check. It is a very good stress test, and it held up very well. Personally, I don't think it's something to worry about too much. These blades are plenty strong to stand up to some good dueling. I guess I should also mention that before the break happened, I had used the blades the winter before on pretty cold nights with no problems. It survived a normal year, a full winter of regular use, the rest of the year, and didn't break til the next winter. I used to be worried about them breaking, but they've held up long enough for me to stop thinking about them breaking.

I currently use 1/2" (ID) PVC, but it's too darn heavy to swing around and you have to pull your hits like crazy.
@Mandalorian444 - What part of Utah are you in?

That stuff can be brutal, especially if you break it and keep fighting with the sharp ends. ;)

Provo.

@Mandalorian444 - What part of Utah are you in?

What? I've used that too, and don't find it very heavy at all. But then again, I've used steel electrical conduits, and don't find them uncomfortably heavy either.
Anyway, PVC pipes snap after about 2 or 3 whacks. Not worthwhile at all.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back