Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Um, no. They could have created something that was new, but still a logical and satisfying continuation of the characters we loved.

Satisfying according to whom?

This really is the core of it... you don't have to be satisfied with it. Nobody does. But if your position is that you weren't satisfied with it, at least accept that others don't necessarily share that view, and so don't say the *movie* was unsatisfying...say it didn't satisfy *you*. This lets people know that it didn't land with you, but you aren't trying to convince them why they should also dislike it.

Finally saw it this weekend with my wife, in a decently populated theater (our local Studio Movie Grill, which I love) on the 23rd.

I'll add my non-spoilery thoughts for now, and write a separate more spoilery post later.

Fair warning: I have a LOT of thoughts about this movie, and there's a LOT to unpack (for me), so this will be a long couple of posts. Even for me. You've been warned.

One other point: I haven't read every post in this thread, so I'm not really coming in with any particular response to anyone. These are just my general thoughts, not a rebuttal to anyone specific.

Overall, I loved this film. I think it was fantastically done, and I say that as someone who grew up on Star Wars back when my copy was a VHS recording off of the old PRISM network, which I watched literally every Sunday morning from the time I was about 5 or so until the time I was maybe 12. I was bitterly disappointed by the prequels, although that bitterness has faded and now I just find them weak film entries. I loved the period from about '92-'99, when (for me) the Star Wars universe exploded into a much broader set of stories, thanks to the works of Timothy Zahn and reprints of the old Williamson/Goodwin newspaper strips from Dark Horse, alongside the plethora of classic computer games coming out of LucasArts. I still dislike the "special editions" for a variety of reasons. I've come to really enjoy the Clone Wars cartoon, and Rebels. I liked TFA, but saw it as "good, but flawed and a little too similar to what came before."

I say all of this for the benefit of anyone who wants to trot out a "no true Star Wars fan..." line of argument. You can stuff that line of thinking right up your thermal exhaust port. I am a fan, I have always been a fan, and I am not an indiscriminate fan by any means. Simply slapping the "Star Wars" logo on a product ain't enough for me. I demand a LOT more. Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but I've seen it bandied about elsewhere and just have zero patience for it at this point.

I think this film, in many ways, was necessary. TFA was necessary, too, although in different ways. TFA, in my opinion, revitalized Star Wars. It brought back much of the OT feel, but nudged it a little in some other directions. It had some real problems with weak direction and plotting, and JJ's lazy reliance on "mystery boxes," particularly where there is no mystery at all. And I thought it played things a little too safe, although I understood why it did. TFA had a two-part strategic mission, from a marketing perspective: (1) it had to bring on enough of the old school fans (a whoooole bunch of whom now have kids) who had been disenchanted by the prequels, and (2) it had to feel new and interesting enough to grab modern audiences who might be kinda "blah" about Star Wars. I think it succeeded mightily in that respect, even though there were old school fans who were disappointed by it.

TLJ had to do something different, but I think that necessity is not always recognized by a lot of fans. I understand that response. I also understand the "don't tell me I didn't understand it!" response when you're told "You just don't get it. Here, let me explain it to you..." That said, "you just don't get it." Not the film itself, mind you. I think someone can completely "get" what the film is doing and trying to do, and still dislike it. I don't feel that way, but I get why some people do. I think what people don't understand is something more complicated:

The danger of comfort.

Many movie franchises are entirely happy to provide long-time viewers with a comfortable, familiar, ultimately unchallenging rehash of their favorite bits of the franchise. You may see evolution within such a franchise, but usually it's a kind of dead-end evolution. It takes the wrong bits and amps them up, or takes the laziest, easiest to reproduce stuff and amps it up. I think one of the better examples of this is the Star Trek franchise, especially before the "reset button" that JJ mashed in 2009. Trek, in my opinion, was dead well before JJ turned in his "Not-Quite-Star-Wars" version. You can probably debate exactly the time of death, but I'd say it was at least when Insurrection came out. Trek had lost itself. It had become lazy, in a way. It retained much that was familiar, but it felt like it had lost a real sense of creative spark and vibrancy, basically like it was just going through the motions. It was all, of course, very "familiar" to fans, and in some ways "safe," but I expect that lots and lots of fans had already grown dissatisfied with each subsequent film and show. People kept hoping for some return to the "glory days" of the franchise, but no one could figure out how to do that, and a big part of that (in my opinion) was because no one was really willing to take risks where it counted. It all felt the same and very familiar -- and in that sense, it was "comfortable" -- but it was more like "comfortably numb." And it was ultimately dissatisfying. It was either close but not close enough, or retaining only the veneer of the best of things while otherwise feeling totally generic. And it ended up with the new JJ-Trek we have now which is, I would say, pretty much soulless. It is not, in my opinion, Trek at all, even though it mostly looks like it. It's become generic space action with only primary-colored uniforms and saucer-and-nacelle ships to distinguish it.

You could arguably say the same about Star Wars in its novels from the period of about, oh, 1995 right up until R.A. Salvatore dropped a moon on Chewbacca, by which point I'd already given up and after which I knew I'd never go back. There were a whole series of novels that felt...comfortable, familiar, and ultimately stagnant and dead. Characters just sort of went through the motions, but didn't feel like they were evolving. Stories seemed to revolve around yet another superweapon, yet another Imperial commander who had risen to challenge the New Republic (Thrawn was great, but let's move on), yet another dark Jedi/would-be Sith lord, and so on and so forth. Hell, just look at the covers. Nobody changed their hairstyle for 20 years, and the characters barely seemed to age! Star Wars, in those books, was evolving, but towards a dead end. R.A. Salvatore tried to shake that up, as did the folks who invented the Yuzhaan-Vong, but I think it was too late by then.

Star Wars, as a franchise, is at an inflection point. Particularly after TFA, and to a lesser extent Rogue One, it could allow itself to slip into comfortably familiar territory, rehashing much of what came before in an attempt to appeal to its fans and "give them what they want," but I think that in so doing it would consign itself to dead-end evolution like we've seen before, and would eventually die out or be "rebooted" into something else in a Star Wars mask. I actually lean towards it dying out, if that were to happen. This film, even moreso than Rogue One, dramatically shakes things up, but does so in a way in which I believe it still retains much of the soul of Star Wars. I recognize that not everyone will agree with that point, but I think there's a difference between the soul of something, and the past of something. Star Wars needs to grow beyond its past, or it will simply repeat it ad mortem. It will stagnate and die if all it does is pay homage to what came before, and never try to grow into something more. And I think that, without consciously and explicitly rejecting much of what came before, that's what's likely to happen. I think that's what this film did, and the core of the film is a question about shaping the future, how that should happen, and what it should look like. More on that later.

Related to all of this, I have a serious hunch that Rian Johnson is a Dune fan. This is just a theory of mine. I've read 5 of Frank Herbert's original 6 Dune books. The first book is its own thing -- a grand space adventure, with some underlying political commentary. The second two are better thought of as a duology about the nature of messiahs. The fourth one is a work of philosophy masquerading as science fiction, and is probably my favorite.

Basically, there is a point in the 3rd book where a character looks into the future and sees the ultimate death of humanity if it continues on its current path. To avoid that, the character makes a series of decisions that will fundamentally change the direction of humanity, by basically destroying what it has come to hold dear, and which prevents it from achieving its full potential (which is necessary to survive the future). Within the books, one of the central things that must ultimately be rejected is the "great man" or "messiah" figure, so this character takes steps to ultimately end that concept forever. Instead of having humanity turn with arms outstretched to some messiah or savior or "great man" to solve its problems...people would reject that notion and seek to change things for themselves. There would still be leaders, but the leaders would not be "gods," and the impulse within humanity would become "I'll fix it" instead of "Fix it for me."

That's all in very, very, very, very broad strokes, of course, but I see a lot of this in TLJ. And the thing is, the only way to do that is to upend the notions of the past. And TLJ definitely does that.

I get why all of that makes people uncomfortable. I think that's ultimately the point: you're supposed to be uncomfortable. The film wants to challenge you and is actively trying to upend your notion of what Star Wars "means," while still very consciously engaging with that notion. The film is asking -- and positing its own answer to the question of -- "What is Star Wars ultimately about?"

Anyway, like I said, more spoilery stuff later. I still have a lot more to write, but I need to organize my thoughts. There's a ton of stuff going on in and with this movie that I think should be addressed more particularly.

Last edited:

well to be fair neither one appears as though they are looking at/speaking to/acknowledging one another. And I can say from personal experience that it is entirely possible to be in the same room with someone and not ever be introduced to them. Not to mention at this point Poe is well known to most in this Room, and Rey is not....as she has only just arrived in this particular place. So it isn't likely that they had occasion to be introduced, or that would have been shown on screen. True, they may have seen each other... and even gathered whom each other might be from that. But that isn't the same thing as being properly introduced. In fact, when Poe introduces himself formally to Rey in TLJ, and she replies "I'm Rey", he says' "I know". So while he did know who she was--and she probably him-they had not been formally introduced until then, and probably had no occasion to speak.

I was too distracted by the inconsistent ghost effect and how bad Yoda looked to enjoy the scene.

It also felt like the first time Luke had seen Yoda since ROTJ which would be pretty lame considering he and Annakin and Obi could have guided him with training the next gen of Jedi. Bad story telling and proof that they just shoehorned in OT characters without any real depth to any of them.

You're assuming quite alot there. We were given no indication how long after ROTJ Luke began to train new Jedi. And Ben and Yoda very well could have assisted with this... clearly a good deal of time has passed since the new Jedi school was destroyed and Luke went into hiding. So even something as small as a 10 or 15 year gap between Luke and Yoda speaking could account for the dynamic in that scene. From the dialog between Rey and Luke we are told that Luke had cut himself off from The Force, and that he was unaware of all that had happened in TFA (and possibly everything since he cut himself off, presumably after the incident with Kylo)

Finally saw it this weekend with my wife, in a decently populated theater (our local Studio Movie Grill, which I love) on the 23rd.

I'll add my non-spoilery thoughts for now, and write a separate more spoilery post later.

Fair warning: I have a LOT of thoughts about this movie, and there's a LOT to unpack (for me), so this will be a long couple of posts. Even for me. You've been warned.

One other point: I haven't read every post in this thread, so I'm not really coming in with any particular response to anyone. These are just my general thoughts, not a rebuttal to anyone specific.

Overall, I loved this film. I think it was fantastically done, and I say that as someone who grew up on Star Wars back when my copy was a VHS recording off of the old PRISM network, which I watched literally every Sunday morning from the time I was about 5 or so until the time I was maybe 12. I was bitterly disappointed by the prequels, although that bitterness has faded and now I just find them weak film entries. I loved the period from about '92-'99, when (for me) the Star Wars universe exploded into a much broader set of stories, thanks to the works of Timothy Zahn and reprints of the old Williamson/Goodwin newspaper strips from Dark Horse, alongside the plethora of classic computer games coming out of LucasArts. I still dislike the "special editions" for a variety of reasons. I've come to really enjoy the Clone Wars cartoon, and Rebels. I liked TFA, but saw it as "good, but flawed and a little too similar to what came before."

I say all of this for the benefit of anyone who wants to trot out a "no true Star Wars fan..." line of argument. You can stuff that line of thinking right up your thermal exhaust port. I am a fan, I have always been a fan, and I am not an indiscriminate fan by any means. Simply slapping the "Star Wars" logo on a product ain't enough for me. I demand a LOT more. Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but I've seen it bandied about elsewhere and just have zero patience for it at this point.

I think this film, in many ways, was necessary. TFA was necessary, too, although in different ways. TFA, in my opinion, revitalized Star Wars. It brought back much of the OT feel, but nudged it a little in some other directions. It had some real problems with weak direction and plotting, and JJ's lazy reliance on "mystery boxes," particularly where there is no mystery at all. And I thought it played things a little too safe, although I understood why it did. TFA had a two-part strategic mission, from a marketing perspective: (1) it had to bring on enough of the old school fans (a whoooole bunch of whom now have kids) who had been disenchanted by the prequels, and (2) it had to feel new and interesting enough to grab modern audiences who might be kinda "blah" about Star Wars. I think it succeeded mightily in that respect, even though there were old school fans who were disappointed by it.

TLJ had to do something different, but I think that necessity is not always recognized by a lot of fans. I understand that response. I also understand the "don't tell me I didn't understand it!" response when you're told "You just don't get it. Here, let me explain it to you..." That said, "you just don't get it." Not the film itself, mind you. I think someone can completely "get" what the film is doing and trying to do, and still dislike it. I don't feel that way, but I get why some people do. I think what people don't understand is something more complicated:

The danger of comfort.

Many movie franchises are entirely happy to provide long-time viewers with a comfortable, familiar, ultimately unchallenging rehash of their favorite bits of the franchise. You may see evolution within such a franchise, but usually it's a kind of dead-end evolution. It takes the wrong bits and amps them up, or takes the laziest, easiest to reproduce stuff and amps it up. I think one of the better examples of this is the Star Trek franchise, especially before the "reset button" that JJ mashed in 2009. Trek, in my opinion, was dead well before JJ turned in his "Not-Quite-Star-Wars" version. You can probably debate exactly the time of death, but I'd say it was at least when Insurrection came out. Trek had lost itself. It had become lazy, in a way. It retained much that was familiar, but it felt like it had lost a real sense of creative spark and vibrancy, basically like it was just going through the motions. It was all, of course, very "familiar" to fans, and in some ways "safe," but I expect that lots and lots of fans had already grown dissatisfied with each subsequent film and show. People kept hoping for some return to the "glory days" of the franchise, but no one could figure out how to do that, and a big part of that (in my opinion) was because no one was really willing to take risks where it counted. It all felt the same and very familiar -- and in that sense, it was "comfortable" -- but it was more like "comfortably numb." And it was ultimately dissatisfying. It was either close but not close enough, or retaining only the veneer of the best of things while otherwise feeling totally generic. And it ended up with the new JJ-Trek we have now which is, I would say, pretty much soulless. It is not, in my opinion, Trek at all, even though it mostly looks like it. It's become generic space action with only primary-colored uniforms and saucer-and-nacelle ships to distinguish it.

You could arguably say the same about Star Wars in its novels from the period of about, oh, 1995 right up until R.A. Salvatore dropped a moon on Chewbacca, by which point I'd already given up and after which I knew I'd never go back. There were a whole series of novels that felt...comfortable, familiar, and ultimately stagnant and dead. Characters just sort of went through the motions, but didn't feel like they were evolving. Stories seemed to revolve around yet another superweapon, yet another Imperial commander who had risen to challenge the New Republic (Thrawn was great, but let's move on), yet another dark Jedi/would-be Sith lord, and so on and so forth. Hell, just look at the covers. Nobody changed their hairstyle for 20 years, and the characters barely seemed to age! Star Wars, in those books, was evolving, but towards a dead end. R.A. Salvatore tried to shake that up, as did the folks who invented the Yuzhaan-Vong, but I think it was too late by then.

Star Wars, as a franchise, is at an inflection point. Particularly after TFA, and to a lesser extent Rogue One, it could allow itself to slip into comfortably familiar territory, rehashing much of what came before in an attempt to appeal to its fans and "give them what they want," but I think that in so doing it would consign itself to dead-end evolution like we've seen before, and would eventually die out or be "rebooted" into something else in a Star Wars mask. I actually lean towards it dying out, if that were to happen. This film, even moreso than Rogue One, dramatically shakes things up, but does so in a way in which I believe it still retains much of the soul of Star Wars. I recognize that not everyone will agree with that point, but I think there's a difference between the soul of something, and the past of something. Star Wars needs to grow beyond its past, or it will simply repeat it ad mortem. It will stagnate and die if all it does is pay homage to what came before, and never try to grow into something more. And I think that, without consciously and explicitly rejecting much of what came before, that's what's likely to happen. I think that's what this film did, and the core of the film is a question about shaping the future, how that should happen, and what it should look like. More on that later.

Related to all of this, I have a serious hunch that Rian Johnson is a Dune fan. This is just a theory of mine. I've read 5 of Frank Herbert's original 6 Dune books. The first book is its own thing -- a grand space adventure, with some underlying political commentary. The second two are better thought of as a duology about the nature of messiahs. The fourth one is a work of philosophy masquerading as science fiction, and is probably my favorite.

Basically, there is a point in the 3rd book where a character looks into the future and sees the ultimate death of humanity if it continues on its current path. To avoid that, the character makes a series of decisions that will fundamentally change the direction of humanity, by basically destroying what it has come to hold dear, and which prevents it from achieving its full potential (which is necessary to survive the future). Within the books, one of the central things that must ultimately be rejected is the "great man" or "messiah" figure, so this character takes steps to ultimately end that concept forever. Instead of having humanity turn with arms outstretched to some messiah or savior or "great man" to solve its problems...people would reject that notion and seek to change things for themselves. There would still be leaders, but the leaders would not be "gods," and the impulse within humanity would become "I'll fix it" instead of "Fix it for me."

That's all in very, very, very, very broad strokes, of course, but I see a lot of this in TLJ. And the thing is, the only way to do that is to upend the notions of the past. And TLJ definitely does that.

I get why all of that makes people uncomfortable. I think that's ultimately the point: you're supposed to be uncomfortable. The film wants to challenge you and is actively trying to upend your notion of what Star Wars "means," while still very consciously engaging with that notion. The film is asking -- and positing its own answer to the question of -- "What is Star Wars ultimately about?"

Anyway, like I said, more spoilery stuff later. I still have a lot more to write, but I need to organize my thoughts. There's a ton of stuff going on in and with this movie that I think should be addressed more particularly.

Far more eloquently stated than i could ever have done. I agree wholeheartedly with what you've written here, and can't wait to hear your insights to come. :)

I don't know... In my opinion, if you're gonna be the movie that kills off Luke f'in Skywalker, you best bring your A game. I get that the movie absolutely delivered for some folks, and I'm glad it did - but it just didn't for me. And It wasn't because we didn't get Snoke's backstory, or we didn't find out who Rey's parents were, or I have some preconceived notion of what a Star Wars needs to be, or even a majority of the other reasons fans of the film think those who "don't get it" don't like it. For me personally, it really just wasn't that good of a movie - let alone a Star Wars film.

Christmas day had a boost in ticket sales.
Overall though, the second weekend took a major nose dive. I think its the highest gross loss in drop of any film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a bigger drop this year, but it's also worth considering the impact of timing during the week.

An apples-to-apples comparison against TFA shows that TFA dropped just under 40% from its opening weekend. However, that opening weekend was 12/18-12/20, and the second weekend was 12/25-12/27.

TLJ dropped almost 69% from its opening weekend, which is a lot, but its opening weekend was 12/15-12/17, and it's 2nd weekend was 12/22-12/24. Those dates, in my opinion, matter, because they represent a heavy travel weekend for Christmas. Basically, everyone's traveling between Friday 12/22 and Saturday 12/23. Lots of people do Christmas Eve dinners on 12/24, and then Christmas Day itself is often booked solid. So, instead of getting a typical 3-day weekend (Friday/Saturday/Sunday) for box office purposes, you get Friday lost to travel, Saturday lost to travel, and Sunday lost to holiday events, all of which were mostly avoided two years ago, where you only really would be expected to lose Friday, Christmas Day itself.

I actually think we'll have a better sense of dropoff next weekend, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's under 30%. If dropoff next weekend is also +50%, then I would expect Disney to be bothered. Under the current circumstances, though, I think they expected that this film would lose a good bit of ground in the 2nd weekend. It still led the weekend, though, with a bunch of new films coming out.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I think this film is being received not as well as the first one by audiences. It's still a financial success, but it's not as big a success as TFA was. TFA, on the other hand, was the relaunch of the franchise under completely new management, with a big-name director. And it was basically a recycling of a lot of ANH.

TLJ....well....it's pretty different. Some folks love that, others not so much.

Don’t mean to double post, but didn’t notice I had my original post in the pre-release thread, while there’s much more active discussion here.

So I saw it last Thursday. Initially I was sort of okay with it in the theatre but could not shake off that general uneasy feeling that something was really not right. There were parts I liked a lot. And then later I tried to make sense out of the whole movie, rationalize, put priority on things I liked and focus on positives despite my actual feelings. Then it just hit me a few days later that I've been there before: Phantom Menace. When it came out (even though I was only like 13) I tried to prove myself that it's actually good. Felt that something was off, that it wasn't right, couldn't put a finger on it, but tried to act like it wasn't bad. Exactly the same phenomenon. People trying to EXPLAIN why it's not bad and may are calling people who openly dislike it names, etc. Loads of people say “it should be enjoyed for what it is”. I always ask these people what is it then? I never ever got an answer that explains why and what I should appreciate, what it actually is. If you come out of the theatre and you have to look for reasons to like a movie then it's already a goner.

For the record, I didn't mind that Snoke was Snoke and Rey was Rey. I never watched Lost but I heard of it and it probably was a similar situation, stir up the pot, to make buzz then we'll figure something out later (or not). This is what I hated in Terminator Genisys the most and this is why I hate franchise-building in general: it’s a half finished story that may or may not get resolved. That does go against TFA. So yep, for two years whenever I went to Youtube I was bombarded with video recommendations, one more absurd than the other offering some theory on who's who and I just wished they left it alone. They did, and I didn't mind it at all.
I liked pretty much everything with Kylo Ren and most parts with Rey. Great performances and interesting characters.

The issue I have is that just like the prequels this is just not a good movie in terms of filmmaking. The editing is weird, the script is choppy and basically the plot goes absolutely nowhere. I applaud the intention to defy expectations but it should not take over from the ultimate goal of making a good movie.I was lukewarm/positive to TFA and grew to like it more and more because of the new characters. I loved the characters, they felt right. Shame that the plot was ANH v2.0, I understand why but it could have been just a bit more different. But I was really looking forward to seeing these guys go on and do their stuff. I wasn't even that excited about the Luke story-line. Then comes this film that states it tries to be its own thing while putting all the focus on Luke.

You can argue about what Luke would and would not do until your nose bleeds, the problem is that ultimately it hardly served a purpose either way. I get it, the message is learn from your failures. Did it get anywhere? Not really, everybody fails in their plans, nobody really learns anything (except for Finn who learns that not sacrficing himself for the greater good and letting man-faced horses free is what really matters). Yes, Luke gets up and faces Ren in the end. Then dies 2 minutes later without anyone but a band of 20 rebels seeing it. So what was the ultimate outcome of it? The rebels would have managed to escape following the foxes anyway, Luke bought them maybe 5 minutes of time. If it was say televised live for the whole galaxy to see the legendary Jedi Master standing up against Ren to give everyone courage then yep, makes sense. Other than that, everybody who should have seen and told the tale was fleeing the scene. And is it just me or the vast majority of the island scenes between Luke and Rey were kind of embarassing and awkward? I don't (only) mean flipping the saber comically and milking lizardwalruses (BTW Luke got awfully good at surviving in harsh environment for someone who went there to die) but the way their characters interacted. It was just two people living in their awkward neighbourhood not talking to each other properly, not even remotely interested in each other, no real story-telling in their interactions...just felt really awkward.

Yes, I get it that letting the past go and letting good vs evil go is a thing. Even if good vs evil is the very core of Star Wars. It's like the series about Perry Mason, the lawyer who does a great deal of interesting detective work changes halfway and focuses on how legal procedures are followed. But ultimately that concept goes nowhere too, because the whole thing ends up exactly where it started: big menacing Empire led by a dark force warrior chases a small gang of ill-equipped rebels helped by a young Jedi and pure hope. I so wanted Rey and Ren to team up, that would have been really original and different. Instead a film that wants to be original and different re-threads Empire and goes back to square one.

The misplaced humour has been discussed to death too, I don't mind humour but the tone should really be consistent for the film. Here we have a dire and seemingly hopeless string of situations sprinkled with infantile gags. As Mr Plinkett said there isn't a violent rape scene in the first 15 minutes of Ghostbusters and there isn't a pie-in-the-face gag in the middle of Citizen Kane. The best example is (apart form the saber-toss) is when Rey starts to work-out with the lightsaber. Luke watches from the distance, music builds up. Could have been a great scene either showing some interest from Luke or showing that Rey starts to stand on her own feet and she gives up on the idea of Luke training her. Could have gone in so many different and interesting ways just a short scene visually telling us something. Then it pays off in her slicing a rock that breaks the space-nun's cart...

So for me it's a big letdown overall. So many scenes that could have played out a lot better and could have been written much better. And the problem is, I don't like the prequels, any of them. Great, I just ignore them. I never let midichlorians seep into Yoda's speech in Empire or Anakin and C-3PO have any effect on me when I watch the carbon-freeze scene, I just blocked it out and got on with it. But I really grown fond of Force Awakens and because it was set up to be contuinued it's gonna be hard to come to terms with it. And the bottom-line for me is that I'm really not hyped or interested to see where Ep9 will go, because it's back at square one and realistically the only place to develop the story is a big rebel attack on the empire's main base that may or may not have a superlaser on it and a lightsaber fight with Ren and Rey. Could have been great. Shame.

Last edited:
It's no TFA.
But it's no BvS.

Yea, according to the Rotten Tomatoes. , BvS is a 63% while TLJ is at 52% ( audience score). TLJ rates 15% below AOTC right now!
Who would've thought!!! I hope Disney is rescinding Rian Johnson's upcoming Vader trilogy.
I would rate TLJ more like 32%. What a disappointment....I'm still trying to process this. Did this film really start with a crank phone call?

My older brother summed it up nicely over Christmas, unlike the second films of the previous trilogies, this lacks any credible set up for the finale, has zero pay off and Rian Johnson clearly had his head on the new "unrelated" trilogy the whole time.

The whole "resistance" ring postured at the end does not impress a man who still wears his original Phantom ring. Just in case, no, not the PT opener.

Ultimately different people like different things for different reasons. Not all films can possibly appeal to every fan now.
For each fan the reasons are VALID for them to love or reject. Can anyone be "right" about it for someone else?
There is enough content now it's in the realm of Trek and Batman. Dozens of flavors to choose from.
The fresh start trilogy will be interesting as it won't have OT baggage.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/feature/a834719/rotten-tomatoes-problem/

Just thought this was worth posting for people citing rotten tomatoes as a reason supporting their opinion. It's a misunderstood and flawed system. The audiece review scores are even more subject to the flaws of the system since people generally are more likely to go online and post a review if they have strong feelings, either hating or loving something. I highlighted some sentences in bold type that I think are especially relevant.

Here's how RT explains its rating system:

A good review is denoted by a fresh red tomato. In order for a movie or TV show to receive an overall rating of Fresh, the reading on the Tomatometer for that movie must be at least 60%.

A bad review is denoted by a rotten green tomato splat (59% or less).

To receive a Certified Fresh rating a movie must have a steady Tomatometer rating of 75% or better. Movies opening in wide release need at least 80 reviews from Tomatometer Critics (including 5 Top Critics). Movies opening in limited release need at least 40 reviews from Tomatometer Critics (including 5 Top Critics). A TV show must have a Tomatometer Score of 75% or better with 20 or more reviews from Tomatometer Critics (including 5 Top Critics). If the Tomatometer score drops below 70%, then the movie or TV show loses its Certified Fresh status. In some cases, the Certified Fresh designation may be held at the discretion of the Rotten Tomatoes editorial team.

So, to get its percentage score, RT boils all film reviews down to Fresh or Rotten and works out the percentage represented by each. It does not allow for a film to be "so-so" and nor does it allow for any nuance as to exactly how bad or good a film is.
This is why, for example, Annabelle: Creation currently has an RT score of 100% while Dunkirk is only on 93%. We liked Annabelle: Creation, it was good and scary. But in no world is it better than Dunkirk – and we're sure most of the critics who liked both films would agree.

What it means is that the 14 critics (including Digital Spy) who have written about Annabelle: Creation so far have all thought it was decent – none of us thought it was crap. (Reviewers can either define their own review as Fresh/Rotten or leave it to RT to interpret their words appropriately.)

Meanwhile, of the 318 critics who have written about Dunkirk, 23 rated it as Rotten. But plenty of the 295 more positive critics actually thought it was brilliant. Ourselves included – we gave it a five-star rating, while Annabelle: Creation was just a high three for us.

It's easy to confuse the % number on Rotten Tomatoes for a rating of quality, but that's not what it is, it's a rating of consensus. The higher the score, the more consensus there is that the film is Fresh rather than Rotten. NOT "the higher the score the better the film".

A movie with 95% is not 20% better than a movie with 75% – the scores don't measure quality.

Therefore Rotten Tomatoes doesn't work for divisive movies – the "either you love it or you hate it" kind. If a film absolutely splits people, it'll end up with a middling rating.
Which is the case with, for example, Lars von Trier's highly controversial Antichrist, which scores exactly 50%. This doesn't mean it's an average movie, it means there is absolutely no critical consensus over whether it's good or not. You'll either think it's awesome or appalling, but what you won't think is that it was just okay. It's very much that kind of movie.

What RT does do is give a vague sense of whether critics in general thought a movie was decent or poor without any further finesse than that, treating a not-bad three-star film in the same way it does a five-star masterpiece, and by the same token, a two-star valiant effort the same as an irredeemable one-star piece of bilge.

For those of us who review out of five stars, it presents a further problem too, since an awful lot of films are three stars. They're okay. They're decent if you like that sort of thing, they start well but tail off at the end. There is no "average" rating on RT so the critics (or the staff at RT) have to decide to assign a three-star rating to the Fresh or Rotten camp.

In theory then, making an inoffensive, middle-of-the-road movie that won't annoy anyone is a surer way to get a high score on RT than making something bold, beautiful and challenging, but which might ruffle a few feathers.

So is Rotten Tomatoes really destroying the film industry (as Brett Ratner, for one, would have it)? We don't think so, as long as audiences understand how to use it – as a consensus overview but not a comparative measure of quality.

To get a more thorough and useful critical opinion, well, you can always read the reviewers you trust the most…

Saw TLJ this morning for the third time (this time on Michigan's largest screen) and the movie hasn't gotten any worse for me - I'm liking it more and more. I think this really does reach a higher level than many give it credit for and might find (with time) its place as something akin to ESB. There is still some baggage that might prevent that - two things that stick out: Luke's green milk scene and the opera-scream bit on Canto Bight.

The theater at the 10:00 AM viewing was sold out. And there was a line waiting for the showing after ours. Now that school is out, I'm guessing there might be a slight uptick on the weekday box offices. While I don't think it will make TFA numbers, TFA did have an advantage that it had Christmas vacation days immediately after it's release while TLJ had to wait a week.

Yea, according to the Rotten Tomatoes. , BvS is a 63% while TLJ is at 52% ( audience score). TLJ rates 15% below AOTC right now!
Who would've thought!!! I hope Disney is rescinding Rian Johnson's upcoming Vader trilogy.
I would rate TLJ more like 32%. What a disappointment....I'm still trying to process this. Did this film really start with a crank phone call?

There was an article linked to by myself earlier in this thread that dissected the RT audience score. Essentially
94% of the rotten audience score submissions were by one time only voters. Meaning an awful lot (or a few) of (new?) people signed up to post a bad score, which indicates spamming. Also, someone claimed that they had created a bot whose job was to create negative reviews for TLJ on RT.
We all know the flaws with the RT system, a better indicator is cinemascore, which does not allow anonymous votes.

There was an article linked to by myself earlier in this thread that dissected the RT audience score. Essentially
94% of the rotten audience score submissions were by one time only voters. Meaning an awful lot (or a few) of (new?) people signed up to post a bad score, which indicates spamming. Also, someone claimed that they had created a bot whose job was to create negative reviews for TLJ on RT.
We all know the flaws with the RT system, a better indicator is cinemascore, which does not allow anonymous votes.

And Cinemascore has it as an A. Not a single one of my friends has disliked the film, everyone at Christmas was talking about it excitedly.

Disclaimer: I have no opinion or judgement for people based on whether they like TLJ or not. It's a movie, it's science fiction, it doesn't effect anything truly important in real life.

Ok, I know I'm late to the game here but I feel like I wanted to sit on my thoughts for a bit before I gave my opinion on The Last Jedi (TLJ). First Off, I've seen this film once on the second night it was released and I don't plan on ever seeing it in theaters again which is really saying something since for all previous Star Wars films I have enjoyed them enough to take advantage of the silver screen as much as possible.

In Summary, The Last Jedi's already garbage storyline was overshadowed by forced and unnecessary sub plots. It was riddled with unnecessary characters who's only purpose in the film were to push political correctness bull**** that at the same time undermined and sabotaged the existing character development of those left from TFA. The target audience for this film fell below the age of 9, with the exception to their parents of course, was blatantly sided towards a single gender and nearly excluded all other audience with no remorse. The Last Jedi is a Disney space movie posing as a Star Wars film where Disney's propaganda team spared no expense! For me, the remnants of any true Star Wars feels and magic left from the wake of TFA was "order 66'd" in this nonsense of a bush league film.

My daughter was in town and we tried to go see it again today but it was sold out :(

Also, Disney stated they knew this would draw a bit less than TFA because TFA was the first Star Wars movie in a long time which would initially draw a larger audience. So constantly comparing it to TFA to show a negative is a bit disingenuous.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back