New Captain America Project WIP (pic heavy)

The last week has been insane! But, the costume got finished and was shipped off yesterday. Here's the rundown on the final details.

The next piece to address was the 'buckle' on the back of the harness. I considered a couple of different options on this and, with the time frame, I decided to go with foam for the base and some triangular plastic rings for the straps. I did consider casting it in resin but was afraid of the resin breaking. The first thing I needed to do was adjust the template slightly to accommodate the plastic rings.

harness-buckle-1.jpg

Next I cut the new piece out of foam and beveled the lines into it. I also carved out the back and inset the triangles into the foam. The triangles will be strong enough to hold the straps without bending or breaking and the foam is flexible enough to contour slightly to his back.

harness-buckle-2.jpg
harness-buckle-3.jpg
harness-buckle-4.jpg

The piece was finished by heat sealing the foam, then 2 coats of Plasti-Dip (brush-on - I never use the spray), 2 coats of DuraClear, silver automotive paint and another 2 coats of DuraClear. Here's how it ended up:

harness-buckle-5.jpg
harness-buckle-6.jpg

Once that was done, I moved on to the gauntlets. We had originally discussed 2 sets of gauntlets - one red, one blue - but, after we began looking at more pics (especially the A2 images), we decided to go with brown to match the other accessories and base them on that style. Here's the reference I used:

gauntlet-reference-1.jpg
gauntlet-reference-2.jpg

And here are the ones I made (he is getting the gloves on his own, so they are not pictured here):

gauntlet-1.jpg
gauntlet-2.jpg

The belt was finished and the pouches needed to be made/finished:

belt-2.jpg
belt-3.jpg

At the very end, the client decided that he wanted to have some gaiters made because he was having a hard time finding boots that he liked. Being in the military already, it was an easy decision for him to wear the boots he already has and I made up a quick pair of gaiters.I took some black vinyl and backed the brown with it to give them some more structure. The black was trimmed away from the seam allowances and, when the gaiter was sewn together, the edges of the black were bound underneath the finished edges. The gaiter (just set over a random shoe that I had on-hand) is at the bottom. There were some silver accents on the edges (similar to the ones on the gauntlets), but I didn't get a photo of them after that was added.

gaiters-1.jpg
gaiters-2.jpg
gaiters-3.jpg
gaiters-4.jpg

And, at long last, here's the costume together showing both variations. Note, the pouches are not included here as they were not finished when I assembled the pieces on the form.

classic-full-1.jpg
classic-full-2.jpg
stealth-full-1.jpg
stealth-full-2.jpg

I've asked the client to send me some pictures once he suits up, so I'll be sure to post some when I have them (unless he beats me to it and posts them here himself since he's been following the thread :cool)!

harness-buckle-1.jpg

harness-buckle-2.jpg

harness-buckle-3.jpg

harness-buckle-4.jpg

harness-buckle-5.jpg

harness-buckle-6.jpg

gauntlet-reference-1.jpg

gauntlet-reference-2.jpg

gauntlet-1.jpg

gauntlet-2.jpg

belt-2.jpg

belt-3.jpg

gaiters-1.jpg

gaiters-2.jpg

gaiters-3.jpg

gaiters-4.jpg

classic-full-1.jpg

classic-full-2.jpg

stealth-full-1.jpg

stealth-full-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cannot wait for mine to be started! I won't need quite as much. That last photo is awe-inspiring:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ridiculous. Such amazing talent and a hell of a guy to work with. I can't wait to finally see it in person.

Thanks man! I'm looking forward to seeing it, too :)

Thanks also to everyone for the awesome comments! I'm glad you all enjoyed the build and we'll get some pic of it in action soon.

To mirror what everyone has said, awesome work, truly inspiring.

One question, do you use a regular needle for this or a ball point?

This is gorgeous! You have created such a great suit. This thread here is also quite amazing. I'm sure I can speak for most of us here, thank you for sharing and posting all the way through the build while also posting up so many details. We all love it here and there's so many great projects in this community. I feel your build is a great representation of both the amazing passion and craftsmanship of the Members here, but also the excitement and awe we all get from filing through pages and pages of projects.

I for one will be using some of your techniques in my next build. Your thread is now bookmarked! This is one of the best Captain America suits I've ever seen! I hope you take a lot of pride in it, it's a great work!! Can't wait to see more from you. Thanks again for showing us all a great build.

To mirror what everyone has said, awesome work, truly inspiring.

One question, do you use a regular needle for this or a ball point?

Thank you! I just use the standard needles for my Singer 20U109 industrial. I do, however, change them quite often to ensure that it's nice and sharp. Sewing with heavy fabrics and vinyl and through materials that have been tacked with spray mount tends to wear them out pretty quickly.

This is gorgeous! You have created such a great suit. This thread here is also quite amazing. I'm sure I can speak for most of us here, thank you for sharing and posting all the way through the build while also posting up so many details. We all love it here and there's so many great projects in this community. I feel your build is a great representation of both the amazing passion and craftsmanship of the Members here, but also the excitement and awe we all get from filing through pages and pages of projects.

I for one will be using some of your techniques in my next build. Your thread is now bookmarked! This is one of the best Captain America suits I've ever seen! I hope you take a lot of pride in it, it's a great work!! Can't wait to see more from you. Thanks again for showing us all a great build.

Thanks! Even though I've been a member for a while and have commented and subscribed to many threads, this was my firs real WIP. I really enjoyed sharing the process and I'm glad that you and (it seems) others found some of my techniques helpful. This is a great forum and it's always my go-to when I'm stuck, need some inspiration, a new way to interpret something or just to surf around and see what everyone's up to. The costume community gets so much bad press these days, it's awesome to have a place like this with so many talented people who are really in it to share, hang out and support each other.

OK, enough hugging. Let's go make some new s#$t! Or maybe have a drink first. Let's do that. :cheers

Great build! And I love the fact that it is reversible! The idea of choosing which suit to build nearly tore me apart(so I settled and went with the Age of Ultron suit purely because it hasn't officially been released yet ;) ).

Quick question? I may have missed it in your thread, but did you make your star? It looks great!

Great build! And I love the fact that it is reversible! The idea of choosing which suit to build nearly tore me apart(so I settled and went with the Age of Ultron suit purely because it hasn't officially been released yet ;) ).

Quick question? I may have missed it in your thread, but did you make your star? It looks great!

Thanks! Yeah, the the client didn't want a "screen accurate" suit, but something in the style while getting the most bang for his buck, so to speak. We actually styled bits of his suit from AoU.

I did not make that star. I actually found that one on eBay from Cosnova (much more cost-effective and budget-friendly for the client).

Thanks! Yeah, the the client didn't want a "screen accurate" suit, but something in the style while getting the most bang for his buck, so to speak. We actually styled bits of his suit from AoU.

I did not make that star. I actually found that one on eBay from Cosnova (much more cost-effective and budget-friendly for the client).

Hello there, I recently sent You a pm did You get it?

Regards,

Alberto

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back