New Captain America Project WIP (pic heavy)

Not to plague you with questions, but how did you sew the sleeves on so well? That fabric has so little give

No problem! I did a lot of work on the pattern before cutting the actual fabrics trying to keep in mind the nature of the fabric. The Cordura will mold to an extent, it just takes patience.

OK, so it's a short update, but it was a lot of sewing little angles in the torso. Once the 'shawl' piece was complete, I began mapping out the variant torsos. I made a muslin copy from the base pattern and then drew the patterns for the red/silver version on one side and the 'stealth' version on the other.
torso-map-1.jpg
torso-map-2.jpg

Then, once again, it's just a matter of cutting the pieces apart and transferring them to the actual fabrics. I decided to start with the red/silver torso - mainly just because I wanted a break from navy blue for a bit. :) I mapped that torso to be striped all the way around. After looking at some reference from Avengers 2, I noticed that - like most of the other Cap movie costumes - the stripes only go to the sides and the back is all blue.
Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-new-Captain-America-suit-2-e1411166383694.jpg

I've touched on this with the client and he's open to either. Personally, I like them going all the way around, so I made a torso based on my first concept. I'll send him images and see what he thinks and adjust as needed. Here are some images of the pieces of the torso laid out and the shell assembled with the top so far.
torso-layout-1.jpg
upper-body-1.jpg
upper-body-2.jpg

More to come, so stay tuned...

torso-map-1.jpg

torso-map-2.jpg

Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-new-Captain-America-suit-2-e1411166383694.jpg

torso-layout-1.jpg

upper-body-1.jpg

upper-body-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is looking sooo awesome!!. If i wasn't doing the Star Lord, i would be doing the Captain America one. This is deffenitely worth following

Very nice work so far! The lines and the stiching are nice and clean. Quite a bit of work but your client should be a very happy fellow!

After conferring with the client, it was determined that we wanted to do this torso with the blue back. So, I adjusted the color blocking and got the torso ready for finishing.
torso-1.jpg

With the lining assembled, I needed to add in the 'padded' details to the red striped to represent the 3-dimensional design of the movie costumes. Once again, I used 2mm craft foam. I cut the pieces of foam, lightly sprayed them with Super 77 to keep them in place and pressed them onto the back of the red stripes. I then laid the lining over the back and, using the zipper foot (just like the 'shawl') I stitched around the foam pieces.
torso-2.jpg
torso-3.jpg

Once that was done, I finished the bottom edge and added the mesh top. Now, it just needs a zipper.
torso-4.jpg
torso-5.jpg

Here's what the finished torso looks like with the jacket.
torso-6.jpg
torso-7.jpg

Next up, the 'stealth' torso and chest stripes...

torso-1.jpg

torso-2.jpg

torso-3.jpg

torso-4.jpg

torso-5.jpg

torso-6.jpg

torso-7.jpg

this is a fantastic build. love the use of the cordura. i am using 1000d cordura for my TFA suit for the blue sections and i love it as a fabric. the only downside is finding a non back one because that adds a great deal of stiffness to the fabric. and because of the weave of the fabric it can fray easily. and the use of the spandex really sets it off. possibly one of if not the best cap suits i have seen. keep up the good work

this is a fantastic build. love the use of the cordura. i am using 1000d cordura for my TFA suit for the blue sections and i love it as a fabric. the only downside is finding a non back one because that adds a great deal of stiffness to the fabric. and because of the weave of the fabric it can fray easily. and the use of the spandex really sets it off. possibly one of if not the best cap suits i have seen. keep up the good work

Thanks! I usually use the coated ones. I find that if you wash them in hot water and dry them on high heat it'll help with the stiffness and increase ease. Plus, I typically use 500 for garments, it's a little lighter and has a better hand. I've never had a problem with cordura fraying - but probably because I use the coated rather than the uncoated.

The variant 'stealth' torso gets under way! This was made using the same method as the 'classic' version: I used the mark up from the torso base patterns to cut the pieces. Then, the foam accents were sewn in just as they were in the above torso.
variant-torso-1.jpg
variant-torso-2.jpg
variant-torso-3.jpg

That last pic shows it with a canvas ammo belt I wanted to try out as an option. I'm not sure on that. No matter what it needs a dye job and some paint on the hardware. I'd like the belt, harness, gauntlets and boot covers to all match in (faux)leather, but we'll see...
In the meantime, this torso will be finished with the top and zipper. I then began the template for the harness. I just started with some pattern paper pinned on the costume on the form. I roughed out the lines, cut it out, folded and taped it, traced it out, evened the curves and came out with a pattern that will serve as a start.
harness-draft-1.jpg
harness-draft-2.jpg
harness-draft-3.jpg
harness-draft-4.jpg

From here, I'll need to test it in fabric and then work on making sure it will work with the back buckle (later on that). This, in the end, needs to match a number of other accessory pieces (see the belt question above) so it's important to consider all pieces when making material decisions.
I got started on working out the chest stripes. These will magnet onto the costume and can be worn with the 'stealth' version or left off for the 'classic' version. The stripes themselves will be made of the same silver vinyl as the shoulder stripes and they will be fully finished with the blue Cordura.
When I made the initial pattern for the costume, I mapped this piece out and kept that bit in tact. I made a scan and 1:1 print of it so I can cut the print up to make the piece and use the template to place the final with the final star.
chest-stripes-2.jpg

Chest stripes come next along with pants! Stay tuned...

variant-torso-1.jpg

variant-torso-2.jpg

variant-torso-3.jpg

harness-draft-1.jpg

harness-draft-2.jpg

harness-draft-3.jpg

harness-draft-4.jpg

chest-stripes-2.jpg

This is beautiful looking. Good lord I wish I knew how to sew like this. (when I was growing up, being a guy seamstress would have gotten me beaten up every other day or so, now that I'm older, it would have been soooooo worth it. lol )

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back