depressing movie and tv photos...

The front of the space ship from Pitch Black. The film was made in Coober Pedy, a small opal mining town in Australia. Next to this prop is a shower and toilet block. I've been there and seen it, which was cool. There are many other movie props scattered across the town also. Also X Wing cannons from the full scale prop at Shepperton.

Attachments

• coober_pedy_pitch_black_spaceship.jpg
    coober_pedy_pitch_black_spaceship.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 140
  • x wing cannons.jpg
    x wing cannons.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 131
I used to vacation on Martha's Vineyard as a kit, always thought it was so cool to see the Orca there, we checked it out from across the water every year. Also hung out in Quint's shop, which is right next to a yummy chowder place.

That's crazy that there were so many General Lee cars, wow!

The number of cars wrecked on "Dukes" seems less crazy when you realize how much footage it was spread over.

That was not a 2-hour movie. It was 7 seasons and 100+ hours of screen time.

Last edited:
I just "liked" your post robstyle, because I enjoyed looking at those pictures and it looks like you spent a lot of time putting that post together.
I always feel kinda bad when someone spends a lot of time on a post and nobody likes it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warner Bros sold their stash of surviving General Lees voluntarily.

The buyers created a dummy corporation on paper for WB to sell the cars to. That was done to protect WB from future liability.

There were a few other Generals that survived in various ways but none were obtained by suing the studio.

My information came from a website set up from one of the people who bought one that I read back in 1996/1997. All I know is that he said he tried to buy a full car, WB refused, he found several others who also wanted to buy cars, WB still refused and then lawyers were involved (and him mentioning that he restored the running lights on his General so that it'd be street legal). I have the pictures I saved of the vehicles on a truck on a floppy disk somewhere. So, I will admit, my memory may be a bit fuzzy.

Two HUNDRED and twenty-nine Dodge chargers????? :wacko holy bejesus

There is reason to question that figure. IMO it was probably much lower. The number of Chargers you actually see being killed onscreen during the series was closer to half that.

They sent the studio a bill for destroying 229 Chargers. They didn't necessarily send back an all-new car with each replacement.

They had a huge stash of spare parts saved off the wrecks and they got practiced at working on Chargers quickly. And stunt cars that were destined to simply get wrecked again could be slammed together with pretty bad quality. Gallons of bondo, crazy panel gaps, paint touched up with brushes, etc. The details didn't show up on little TV screens 35 years ago. They didn't expect home video copies to ever exist.

The main reason for so many cars was the huge jumps. One big high jump and the car was usually totaled. They had to switch to another car even if the jump came out wrong the first time.

To put this in perspective, the Fast & Furious series is up to a couple hundred cars for each new movie.

Last edited:
Also, on the lower number on Dukes of Hazard chargers is, there were many jump shots that were used and reused for many episodes so not every stunt you see on-screen was it's own car.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back