Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
No, the trip to Canto Bite served a story purpose, getting the slicer to get them on the Supremecy, but also helped finish Finn’s character arc begin in TFA. In Last Jedi Finn is once again trying to leave, just like in TFA although for different motivations. But he’s still a confused ex-Stormtrooper naive abut what’s happening in the larger galaxy. His exposure to Canto Bite, the people, the education that both Rose and DJ provide him changes him fundamentally. When they arrive on Crait he’s willing to sacrifice himself for his friends and for their cause.

Agreed.

And further--though the Canto Bight section may have seemed pointless and as if it were all for naught... i think that's exactly what it was supposed to show to a certain character: Poe. Leia had been trying to learn him all along not to jump at every hare-brained back door plan and to consider when it's wise to retreat rather than fight. Nevertheless he jumped at this chance to do something behind everyone's back which he was convinced would work. It didn't... and he began to learn that it's not always the best play to fight head on. this helped to bring him to the place near the end of the film where he was able to recognize what Luke was doing for them; thinking about the bigger picture.. and his character grew.

I think this was the purpose of the ill fated Canto Bight mission.

One reason there is so much "discussion" in this thread is that too many people act like a STORY DECISION is a plot hole or lazy writing. There are plenty of things we hand wave away or make up an explanations for in the OT because of nostalgia or because we like it. Guarantee we could nitpick a hundred "plot points" from the OT as well but we rarely just poopoo it as lazy writing. In the past, fans use that as a challenge to build head canon or think of why things were done in universe that way.

With this new trilogy it seems those same fans CAN'T understand that or DON'T remember they did it for the OT.

https://medium.com/@darrenjgendron/the-empire-strikes-back-ruined-star-wars-df4e6c5f647c

HILARIOUS review of ESB as if it had come out today. Put some of the TLJ criticism in perspective, that's for sure. If you were dissatisfied, this may help give you some "balance." My good deed for the day...

If you create something totally new and go where no film has gone before, taking huge risks into the unknown, you get MUCH more leeway than you do if you take over a tried and true cultural icon with all the money and backing in the world.

No they do not get treated the same. They shouldn't.

I'm pretty curious where Luke learned about "Sidious" being the Emperor. It wouldnt have been in those ancient books, and you would think most people left in the galaxy he would have come across wouldnt know that name unless they had been a Jedi or around a Jedi from the time.

UPDATED “Star Wars” Box Office Decline? “Last Jedi” First Tuesday Receipts Are 42% Off from “The Force Awakens”

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/12/1...eceipts-are-half-as-much-as-the-force-awakens

WEDS UPDATE: “Last Jedi” Tuesday was $20.3 million vs. $37 mil for “Force Awakens” on its first Tuesday. That’s around 42% off. $17 million is a big difference. Monday and Tuesday are big days for adults going to the movies, so this development is a little surprising. Almost every other film increased from Monday to Tuesday by quite a lot. Only “Last Jedi” declined, by 6%. Again, Monday and Tuesday are days when adults come out and sample “smart” movies. For some reason, their interest in “Star Wars” less than was imagined.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying people aren't allowed to like whatever they like and I'm not saying people aren't allowed to be disappointed by this film. However, I truly feel there are some people who have genuinely missed the point of this movie for whatever reason. Maybe watching this discussion will help.

UPDATED “Star Wars” Box Office Decline? “Last Jedi” First Tuesday Receipts Are 42% Off from “The Force Awakens”

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/12/1...eceipts-are-half-as-much-as-the-force-awakens

WEDS UPDATE: “Last Jedi” Tuesday was $20.3 million vs. $37 mil for “Force Awakens” on its first Tuesday. That’s around 42% off. $17 million is a big difference. Monday and Tuesday are big days for adults going to the movies, so this development is a little surprising. Almost every other film increased from Monday to Tuesday by quite a lot. Only “Last Jedi” declined, by 6%. Again, Monday and Tuesday are days when adults come out and sample “smart” movies. For some reason, their interest in “Star Wars” less than was imagined.

Partialy because their kids are still in school whereas they were not 2 years ago due to where Christmas falls on the calendar.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...edi-crossing-a-galactic-500m-globally-1069262

958C7A04-28F8-4B44-8760-09A207F38FB1.png

I'm sure over 50 pages it has been said, and was a criticism leveled at TFA, but I think my final opinion is that these movies are basically the JJ Trek of Star Wars and really are soft reboots of the universe for a new generation of fans. They have the nods, and the old blood to get a smile or two out of the old fans, but overall these movies aren't targeted at them, and honestly I guess that's okay. Those of us with our gripes will always have "our" Star Wars, and can hopefully just tune out as Disney moves forward with theirs.

Maybe it has to do with the movie itself -

(Although the argument was made here many times that high box-office gross didn't equate to TFA be a good movie, so why should low box-office mean TLJ is a bad movie? But I digress...)

- But I feel like it's more an effect of Disney dampening the feeling that Star Wars movies are cinema "events" by putting one out every year. Another year, another Star Wars movie...

Partialy because their kids are still in school whereas they were not 2 years ago due to where Christmas falls on the calendar.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...edi-crossing-a-galactic-500m-globally-1069262

To me, this definitely seems like it has some validity as another contributing factor. I know our kids are getting a late start on Christmas break around here.

Maybe it has to do with the movie itself -

(Although the argument was made here many times that high box-office gross didn't equate to TFA be a good movie, so why should low box-office mean TLJ is a bad movie? But I digress...)

- I feel like it's more an effect of Disney dampening the feeling that Star Wars movies are cinema "events" by putting one out every year. Another year, another Star Wars movie...

To me, this definitely seems like it has some validity as another contributing factor. I know our kids are getting a late start on Christmas break around here.

Yeah, all the Scottsdale kids are in school at least until Thursday this week.

I thought it would be the opposite...the Monday and Tuesday are when the kids weed out of the theaters..to let the adults enjoy...thats why I always went during the week

I'm pretty curious where Luke learned about "Sidious" being the Emperor. It wouldnt have been in those ancient books, and you would think most people left in the galaxy he would have come across wouldnt know that name unless they had been a Jedi or around a Jedi from the time.

After RotJ Luke goes searching for Jedi history and some of that history he finds in some of the emperor's hidden locale. I'm sure he found info there or maybe even on coruscant over time.

But I guess they couldn’t leave well enough alone ... too much money to be made from all those pesky ‘ fans ‘ of old ! Lord knows how ‘ Ep IX ‘ , not to mention ‘ Solo ‘ will turn out and be received !?

Didn't Lucas at one point say after he had sold SW to Disney that he had offered up some ideas about how 7 8 and 9 could go and Disney weren't interested? So there's an argument to be made that these films are infact the ultimate fan films and we'll never know (for better or worse) what the original vision/ arc of these films are :O

Did Mark Hamill have plastic surgery or work on his face? Why does he look so surprised, shocked or wide eye in every post interview I have seen him in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did Mark Hamill have plastic surgery or work on his face? Why does he look so surprised, shocked or wide eye in every post interview I have seen him in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. In ESB his face was permanently surprised when a Wampa slashed him with its claws.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back