Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
I am so many years late to express my thoughts on these new Star Wars movies.
I really liked Fin in this one. I feel he's a great character, well developed. Oscar Isaac's character is not bad either. Poe? I don't like Rei, or however her name is spelt. I'm not liking Kylo Ren so much either. When he took off his helmet in TFA, I lost all interest in him. He revealed himself to be a teenager with daddy issues and a superiority complex. He just wasn't that almost lunatic of a character the two storm troopers didn't want to cross paths with anymore. Nor the guy who stopped the blaster shot. What was his big moment in TLJ ? When he had no shirt? He demonstrated his exceptional flying capability. Very cool. Was that it? Nothing about him was interesting in this movie.

Back to Rei. Her trip to whatever planet Luke was on seemed completely pointless. I did not see the deleted scenes, but were there any that make her trip worthwhile? From what I saw in the theatrical release, she didn't learn a thing from Luke - beside learning what 'the force' is. But she emerges as a competent force user. (A competent Jedi.) What happened with her? She's such a boring character, and of course, she tries to appeal to Kylo Ren's humanity. Providing him a chance at redemption. So naive of her and very predictable. :facepalm

And Rose. She should've died. At no point in the movie did I think Rose was falling in love with Fin. There were times when she looked at him a certain way; I took her to be admiring Fin's courage. You can admire someone's qualities without falling in love with them. Telling Fin she loved him was forced upon the viewer. Now we're left with unnecessary, potential love interests. So far, people important and somewhat important to [further] the Rebels' cause have died. In TFA and Rogue One. Their deaths should be reminders of the stakes at hand. I do think Rose would've been a much more meaningful character if she died at the end.

It was nice seeing Luke again. Seeing Luke broken is just sad.
One last thing. That Leia scene. I can't be the only one who thought "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!" :D

I have held out a very long time... actually ever since I left the theater. I have had this question all this time but feared posting it because I don’t want to come off bashing/hating on Daisy Ridley

For the record, I think daisy is hotter then hell, and a VERY attractive woman!

But while watching it in the theater and now at home, her face looks wider to me... I was wondering if it was the theater screen at first

But now with it on Blu-Ray, I watched a lot of the behind the scenes and her face looks normal. Like the video with her sparing, hell all the interviews I’ve seen on tv and YouTube while TLJ was still in theaters made me believe it was a screwed up theater screen

But now having it on my own tv screen I wonder why she looks so different?! Is it something to do with the film? 38mm or what ever it is?

Does anyone else think she looks very different i this film? Or notice any one else not looking the same as they do on other formats of media?

I don’t get it? Again I’m not bashing her whatsoever ever, I think she’s gorgeous. And because of this I noticed right away that she looked different in TLJ

Could just be the aspect ratio on your t.v. If I have mine on a different setting it either compresses or stretches the image. I usually have to play with the settings for every movie I watch to get it to look right. Some films are presented in 2.35 to 1 some are 1.85 to 1 aspect ratio and so on.

Probably could chalk it up to different lenses, distance from camera, plain old different filming styles. Look at how different or props look from film to film or scene to scene. Look how wide Vader's and Harrison's faces look in ANH.

Probably could chalk it up to different lenses, distance from camera, plain old different filming styles. Look at how different or props look from film to film or scene to scene. Look how wide Vader's and Harrison's faces look in ANH.
I'm thinking the same.

Yeah I think Rey is pretty cute and they cast the right actress, Daisy Ridley, for the role. Any complaints I have of Rey are with the writing or directing.

In a sea of modern feminism and social justice, I'm very satisfied with the Rey character in the franchise. For that matter Finn too. I'd love to watch further adventures starring them with BB8, Chewie, the Falcon, and Poe as supporting characters.

Admiral Holdo and Rose were just outright horrible IMHO... this thing with Holdo being a Force sensitive smells like another desperate justification for her inclusion in the film.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm thinking the same.

Yeah I think Rey is pretty cute and they cast the right actress, Daisy Ridley, for the role. Any complaints I have of Rey are with the writing or directing.

In a sea of modern feminism and social justice, I'm very satisfied with the Rey character in the franchise. For that matter Finn too. I'd love to watch further adventures starring them with BB8, Chewie, the Falcon, and Poe as supporting characters.

Admiral Holdo and Rose were just outright horrible IMHO... this thing with Holdo being a Force sensitive smells like another desperate justification for her inclusion in the film.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There is nothing in the film or the Leia book featuring Holdo to suggest that, I would take Mrs. Dern with a grain of salt here.

I never noticed that in ANH!? I’m going to pay extra attention next time

I wish I knew how to figure out what ratio my tv is set to. My Blu-ray says 2.39:1, the hell that means I have no clue. Gotta see if my tv is set to that setting

Anyone notice a kind of weird fish eye effect during some camera moves? I didn't notice in the theater, but on blu ray a few pans are warbly/trippy/whatever.

Anyway, tonight was my third viewing, and after months of absorbing all the critiques, I simply can't agree. I think this movie is fantastic. Are there a few things I don't like? Yep. But the things they got right, they REALLY got right.

I even found Grateful Dead Groupie Holdo borderline tolerable this time, and man oh man did I hate her.

Kylo and Rey are worthy successors to the throne. Adam Driver is simply the most interesting actor to ever be in Star Wars, Mark Hamill gives a career best performance, Rey is a hero we can cheer for, and porgs are awesome.

I love, love this movie.

29595125_10156343747593530_4029374279828235017_n.jpg

Anyone notice a kind of weird fish eye effect during some camera moves? I didn't notice in the theater, but on blu ray a few pans are warbly/trippy/whatever.

Anyway, tonight was my third viewing, and after months of absorbing all the critiques, I simply can't agree. I think this movie is fantastic. Are there a few things I don't like? Yep. But the things they got right, they REALLY got right.

I even found Grateful Dead Groupie Holdo borderline tolerable this time, and man oh man did I hate her.

Kylo and Rey are worthy successors to the throne. Adam Driver is simply the most interesting actor to ever be in Star Wars, Mark Hamill gives a career best performance, Rey is a hero we can cheer for, and porgs are awesome.

I love, love this movie.

What exactly did they get really really right?

Holdo is ridiculous. She did the equivalent of refusing to tell everyone where the fire escape was during a fire. That is just nonsense to me. What kind of justification could there possibly be for that?

I can't even get past some of the things Leia did. Poe was right for destroying the "Fleet-killer". You know, because it would have killed their fleet. But she tries to stop that plan. And later chastises him, slaps him, shoots him. Nonsense.

Adam Driver does great as Kylo. I agree with that. He wins and loses. He is challenged as a character. He's also not enough to make the movie work by himself.

Rey is written as a total Mary-Sue that insta-wins everything. That is not entertaining, it is downright boring. What is Rey's next challenge? Doesn't matter, cause you know she will just instantly succeed at whatever it is....yawn.

I think Hamill's performance in the OT is the superior performance because he was actually into it. With TLJ, he was totally dissatisfied by pretty much every decision made about his character and the movie editing. Milk a Walrus-Ape...sure. Mourn Han....cut.

This movie deserves every criticism leveled at it and probably more.

Holdo is ridiculous. She did the equivalent of refusing to tell everyone where the fire escape was during a fire. That is just nonsense to me. What kind of justification could there possibly be for that?

I can't even get past some of the things Leia did. Poe was right for destroying the "Fleet-killer". You know, because it would have killed their fleet. But she tries to stop that plan. And later chastises him, slaps him, shoots him. Nonsense.

Adam Driver does great as Kylo. I agree with that. He wins and loses. He is challenged as a character. He's also not enough to make the movie work by himself.

Rey is written as a total Mary-Sue that insta-wins everything. That is not entertaining, it is downright boring. What is Rey's next challenge? Doesn't matter, cause you know she will just instantly succeed at whatever it is....yawn.

I think Hamill's performance in the OT is the superior performance because he was actually into it. With TLJ, he was totally dissatisfied by pretty much every decision made about his character and the movie editing. Milk a Walrus-Ape...sure. Mourn Han....cut.

Well said, sir

But while watching it in the theater and now at home, her face looks wider to me...

she's a year or two older in tlj than when she did tfa. that is why. when you're that young a year or two shows a big difference.
obviously, a star wars paycheck means better eating.
in TPM jake loyd's bobblehead changed from principal shooting to reshoots(pickups)...he's obviously grown in the reshoots and those were not too long after.

as far as all the repetitive critisism? i'm older and can see it's just a movie
it's star wars not Stanley Kubrick lol.
hell. it's getting to where it's not even criticism anymore....

Last edited:
she's a year or two older in tlj than when she did tfa. that is why. when you're that young a year or two shows a big difference.
obviously, a star wars paycheck means better eating.
in TPM jake loyd's bobblehead changed from principal shooting to reshoots(pickups)...he's obviously grown in the reshoots and those were not too long after.

as far as all the repetitive critisism? i'm older and can see it's just a movie
it's star wars not Stanley Kubrick lol.
hell. it's getting to where it's not even criticism anymore....

You don't change that much from roughly 23-25 years old. And comparing her age/growth to a straight up child is a faulty comparison. Humans have the largest difference in growth during childhood. Also, female actors typically don't hog out between movies. If anything, I'd say she's been training.

If it's just a movie, then no big deal if people choose to criticize it.

ESB equals or outscores several Kubrick movies on RT and Metacritic. Ultimately movie preference is subjective. But there it is.

Then what is it?

I actually agree with a lot of this (like I said, it's not perfect and I would change some things, and Holdo is probably still my least favorite SW character, and in a world with Boss Nass, that's saying something) but my criticisms just aren't weighty enough to keep me from enjoying the movie. I really feel like some people are having a rather over the top emotional reaction to be honest. And hey, I've been there (the SE makes me froth at the mouth) but...I guess my mental default setting isn't to get outraged.

What it got right? Rey and Kylo. That was the emotional core of the movie, and RJ nailed their chemistry. I think they went to an interesting place with Luke...others obviously vehemently disagree. I like the dynamic enough with those three that I'm not too hung up on "bombs don't fall in space" or "there aren't enough words in the title." Del Toro was fantastic, the movie was beautifully shot and designed, and I adore the final scene.

What would I change? Holdo and Rose could both be a lot less obnoxious and stupid, I'd treat Hux more seriously and dial back the humor, and some of the fx look fakey, esp fathier riding. I'm reserving judgment on Snoke until next episode...he does need some expkanation. So an A+ movie becomes an A-/B+. A few quibbles that I have aren't enough to sour the whole 150 minutes of it.

But if this movie just violates some fans in some way, I get it. My feeling is that maybe people are over reacting and piling on a bit, but we all have our opinions.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back