Your Favorite Movie Sequels That Never Were

Hellboy. Excellent movie with a 5#it poor sequel. Hellboy 2: The Golden Army is the first and only movie I have ever wanted to walk out of. I didn't walk out though, because I kept giving it the benefit of the doubt; but I got more and more agitated with every passing minute.
I just hope Hellboy III doesn't depend on anything that happened in Hellboy 2, other than Liz having twins.

That wouldn't be bad if i had HBO lol Not to mention i don't like any of JJ's stuff, he seriously needs to vanish for a while. I can't see it as an on going tv show unless they escape to a different one of the worlds ever season. I'd have liked to have seen sequels to: V (the sequel book wasn't that good that picked up 20 years after the original storyline), Damnation Alley, The Day After, By Dawn's early light.

I wish they would have finished the golden compass books ( his dark materials books). It's too sad that the religious groups and churches had to go crazy over the movie and cause it to fail. You think a group that is into crazy stories and tales would be cool with it. Yet, they don't mind supporting the bloodiest movie ever made...the passion of ****** ( yes it is). But again, the movie is about freedom of the mind and the evils of religion.

How about a series?
Westworld HBO series

Great, Westworld with lens flare. I used to like a fair amount of JJ Abrams stuff, but he's either over stretched or lost it. His first Star Trek was fair, the second was about 1/3 good (after Kirk launched from the Enterprise up to the ship crashing into San Francisco) the rest was no story, so lets have lots of action. Of course that's the problem with lots of movies coming out today. Maybe I'm laying the blame on the wrong person, maybe it's the analysts that pull apart succesfull movies and then have upcoming scripts altered so they contain the same elements as a blockbuster, because "that's all people want to see".

When Simon calls River, "Mei-mei." - a Chinese term of endearment for a little sister

Not that it has any bearing on your post but I just felt that I had to point out that mei-mei isn't just a term of endearment, it's literally the Chinese word for little sister and it's not uncommon for Chinese siblings to address each other as big/little brother/sister versus their given name. It does show a bit of the blending of Chinese and Western culture in the 'Verse though, a little something beyond just the occasional bit of horribly mangled Chinese that we hear throughout the show.

I totally think that Dredd definitely should have had a sequel. I mean the first movie was only really like the buildup. Dredd is such an open environment there are a lot of possibilities.

I am fan of fantasy and i think that they should remake Eragon. The movie Eragon that was made like in 2008 sucked. It was awful. If they remade it they should do it right and do it as a tv series. that way they could have room for all they cool stuff. Season 1 could be Eragon, season 2 could be Eldest, season 3 Brisinger, and season 4 and 5 could be inheritance.

I totally think that Dredd definitely should have had a sequel. I mean the first movie was only really like the buildup. Dredd is such an open environment there are a lot of possibilities.

I am fan of fantasy and i think that they should remake Eragon. The movie Eragon that was made like in 2008 sucked. It was awful. If they remade it they should do it right and do it as a tv series. that way they could have room for all they cool stuff. Season 1 could be Eragon, season 2 could be Eldest, season 3 Brisinger, and season 4 and 5 could be inheritance.

Not that it has any bearing on your post but I just felt that I had to point out that mei-mei isn't just a term of endearment, it's literally the Chinese word for little sister and it's not uncommon for Chinese siblings to address each other as big/little brother/sister versus their given name. It does show a bit of the blending of Chinese and Western culture in the 'Verse though, a little something beyond just the occasional bit of horribly mangled Chinese that we hear throughout the show.
LOL. I just knew someone would call me on this.

Want to hear something funny? I'm Chinese and I already know this. My two daughters call each other Mei-Mei and Jie-Jei. It's just that Simon's tender expression makes it feel like a term of endearment. In my interpretation of the Firefly universe folks would use the Chinese word as a term of endearment. It certainly seems that way because, in other settings, he calls her his "sister." I know it's my personal interpretation but it's a plausible one and makes the scene much more effective for me.

The actor who seems to have the hardest time acting through mock-Chinese is Ron Glass (Book) - but I only recall one scene where he speaks it. Everyone else seems to do a stellar job ... especially Mal, Kaylee, Inara and Simon ... if only because the Chinese phrases don't impair their credibility at all.

The mangled Chinese and absence of Chinese main characters don't bother me at all, even though it probably should. Most of the time I have no idea what they're even trying to say. I can make a million excuses for it (e.g. perhaps bad Chinese is thrown around like Spanglish is tossed about today), but it still works for me when the actors strike a rhythm in the unintelligible dialogue that can still relay meaning (not unlike R2D2's noises). For example in "Ariel" when Mal is trying to learn how to speak like an EMT from Simon he exclaims, in frustration, "Dialated! Dialated! Ching-wao tsao duh liou mahng! ... Shiny." (I cut and pasted the "Chinese" because I still don't know what he was saying ... but it's still funny.)

Similarly I have no problem with the absence of Chinese main characters. Not every ship crew will be a proportional representation of the population. For all we know maybe the Chinese population is concentrated more on specific worlds, or maybe smuggling/piracy/space travel isn't a vocation that many Asians gravitate towards. I prefer to believe that different ships have different ethnic mixtures. I don't need to have a token asian aboard the Firefly.

Last edited:
2061: Odyssey Three
3001: The Final Odyssey
A ST:TNG film after Nemesis to wrap-up that crew's storyline a little better.

LOL. I just knew someone would call me on this.

Want to hear something funny? I'm Chinese and I already know this. My two daughters call each other Mei-Mei and Jie-Jei. It's just that Simon's tender expression makes it feel like a term of endearment. In my interpretation of the Firefly universe folks would use the Chinese word as a term of endearment. It certainly seems that way because, in other settings, he calls her his "sister." I know it's my personal interpretation but it's a plausible one and makes the scene much more effective for me.

The actor who seems to have the hardest time acting through mock-Chinese is Ron Glass (Book) - but I only recall one scene where he speaks it. Everyone else seems to do a stellar job ... especially Mal, Kaylee, Inara and Simon ... if only because the Chinese phrases don't impair their credibility at all.

The mangled Chinese and absence of Chinese main characters don't bother me at all, even though it probably should. Most of the time I have no idea what they're even trying to say. I can make a million excuses for it (e.g. perhaps bad Chinese is thrown around like Spanglish is tossed about today), but it still works for me when the actors strike a rhythm in the unintelligible dialogue that can still relay meaning (not unlike R2D2's noises). For example in "Ariel" when Mal is trying to learn how to speak like an EMT from Simon he exclaims, in frustration, "Dialated! Dialated! Ching-wao tsao duh liou mahng! ... Shiny." (I cut and pasted the "Chinese" because I still don't know what he was saying ... but it's still funny.)

Similarly I have no problem with the absence of Chinese main characters. Not every ship crew will be a proportional representation of the population. For all we know maybe the Chinese population is concentrated more on specific worlds, or maybe smuggling/piracy/space travel isn't a vocation that many Asians gravitate towards. I prefer to believe that different ships have different ethnic mixtures. I don't need to have a token asian aboard the Firefly.

This reminds me of The Office (US). The character Oscar is supposed to be Mexican American, but when he speaks Spanish, he has a very thick South American accent. The pronunciations and inflections are not Mexican at all.

This reminds me of The Office (US). The character Oscar is supposed to be Mexican American, but when he speaks Spanish, he has a very thick South American accent. The pronunciations and inflections are not Mexican at all.
Speaking of bad accents ... It's always excruciating watching Hollywood actors attempt southern accents. Results are usually bad.

Steel Magnolias is a hilariously notable example. Here's a story about a family in Louisiana. Dolly Parton is from Tennessee and speaks with a Southern Appalachian accent. Julia Roberts speaks with a bizarre caricature of a Georgia accent. Sally Field was doing the same generic Hollywood southern accent that she uses in Forrest Gump. Olympia Dukakis's accent was just embarrassingly bad. Shirley Maclaine usually annoys me but her accent was actually not too bad. Just a comedy of bad accents.

Speaking of bad accents ... It's always excruciating watching Hollywood actors attempt southern accents. Results are usually bad.

Steel Magnolias is a hilariously notable example. Here's a story about a family in Louisiana. Dolly Parton is from Tennessee and speaks with a Southern Appalachian accent. Julia Roberts speaks with a bizarre caricature of a Georgia accent. Sally Field was doing the same generic Hollywood southern accent that she uses in Forrest Gump. Olympia Dukakis's accent was just embarrassingly bad. Shirley Maclaine usually annoys me but her accent was actually not too bad. Just a comedy of bad accents.

Despite having lived in Texas my whole life, I am not very familiar with southern accents. I can't identify bad ones. Where I live, we speak with what is usually referred to as a California accent.

Despite having lived in Texas my whole life, I am not very familiar with southern accents. I can't identify bad ones. Where I live, we speak with what is usually referred to as a California accent.
Well I'm not going to boast that I have a great ear for accents. I just know that the accents in that movie just felt unnatural and forced. They also sounded dissimilar which prompted me to start researching what more knowledgeable people thought. Sure enough the film was rife with bad accents. So the details are pretty much culled from Google research.

Half my family lives in Texas - principally in Houston and some in Austin. They speak Californian for the most part. One or two of my cousins them can pull accent when they want. My mom's accent will come out when she's just been talking to someone back in Houston. Yeah, my mom grew up as a Chinese girl in Tx in the 1950s.

Chinese people have been in the US for over 100 years, haven't they? They're one of the most integral ethnicities that set the foundation of the US. I would figure they lost their Chinese accents decades ago.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back