Yet another version of the Holy Grail from Indiana Jones

Kobeque

I know this is one of the more oversaturated prop replica projects, but I thought I could contribute something to it. I 3D modelled this grail based on screenshots from the film and then printed it on my Anycubic i3 Mega. It was more of a paint test than anything, and I think it turned out pretty well. If anyone would like the .STL file I'd be happy to provide it.

IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_2050.JPG
IMG_2053.JPG
IMG_2054.JPG

This looks great! I'd be very interested in the stl!
Thanks so much! I put it up on Thingiverse but forgot to post the link here. Thanks for reminding me!

Thanks so much! I put it up on Thingiverse but forgot to post the link here. Thanks for reminding me!

Awesome dude! Thanks so much!!!

Did a first pass on paint and gold-leafing. Might leave it like this for a bit until I get more gold leaf, but came out pretty solid for just farting around with paints.

I love the imperfections and handmade aspect you added to it. Helped it feel alive and authentic. And I actually love that the 3D printed lines lent itself to the lathed/spun look.

Thanks dude!

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 8.47.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 8.47.32 PM.png

Did a first pass on paint and gold-leafing. Might leave it like this for a bit until I get more gold leaf, but came out pretty solid for just farting around with paints.

I love the imperfections and handmade aspect you added to it. Helped it feel alive and authentic. And I actually love that the 3D printed lines lent itself to the lathed/spun look.

Thanks dude!

View attachment 1423819
View attachment 1423818
Wow that's incredible! I love that collection of Indy props you have there, that whip is a beauty, and the pistol too. You know it's funny you should mention the thing about the layer lines, I thought the exact same thing when I did mine.

I have one question for you about your paint job, how did you achieve that dusty look? The one problem I have with my grail is that it's too bright and clean. I'd love to dirty it up but I couldn't get the dust quite right.
Cheers!

Wow that's incredible! I love that collection of Indy props you have there, that whip is a beauty, and the pistol too. You know it's funny you should mention the thing about the layer lines, I thought the exact same thing when I did mine.

I have one question for you about your paint job, how did you achieve that dusty look? The one problem I have with my grail is that it's too bright and clean. I'd love to dirty it up but I couldn't get the dust quite right.
Cheers!

thanks dude! And funny you mention the whip - I have a much nicer one but it’s I use it too often to keep it in the display.

And to make it dusty I mixed a dab of dark brown, green & white into a tan color and then lightly stipled it on with a sea sponge. I watered it down a bit in places so it didn’t hide the layers underneath.

thanks dude! And funny you mention the whip - I have a much nicer one but it’s I use it too often to keep it in the display.

And to make it dusty I mixed a dab of dark brown, green & white into a tan color and then lightly stipled it on with a sea sponge. I watered it down a bit in places so it didn’t hide the layers underneath.
Interesting, I might try that tomorrow. I also had the idea of using real dust and then an art-grade spray sealer, maybe I'll print another grail and try both! In any case thanks for the contributions to this thread, I've only been on here a week and I've already had such a great experience thanks to people like you, so keep it up and keep making!

Interesting, I might try that tomorrow. I also had the idea of using real dust and then an art-grade spray sealer, maybe I'll print another grail and try both! In any case thanks for the contributions to this thread, I've only been on here a week and I've already had such a great experience thanks to people like you, so keep it up and keep making!

Real dust would be interesting! I prefer to have a bit more control - the paint was pretty easy to work with and wipe away - dust might bunch up with the spray fixative... maybe. I don't honestly know.

And welcome to the RPF! It's an awesome resource and full of wonderful and generous people.... also a few jerks - they often get banned though.

I recently made a new grail, this time using a wonderful model made by CosmicDogPrints on Thingiverse. Their file can be found here: Indiana Jones The Holy Grail by CosmicDogPrints

This version of the grail is scaled more accurately, and I took more time with the gold leaf in order to achieve that golden glow like in the film. The surface could be a bit more grey and dusty, but I plan to add that later with a layer of real dirt. Anyway, below are some photos of my Grail V2!

Attachments

• IMG_2305.PNG
    IMG_2305.PNG
    3.9 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2306.PNG
    IMG_2306.PNG
    4 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_2307.PNG
    IMG_2307.PNG
    3.9 MB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2308.PNG
    IMG_2308.PNG
    4.2 MB · Views: 219
Here's that same grail with dust added. Makes a huge difference!

Attachments

• IMG_2330.JPG
    IMG_2330.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2331.JPG
    IMG_2331.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2332.JPG
    IMG_2332.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2333.JPG
    IMG_2333.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 233

Fuller's Earth would work too.

What I really like about the OP's 3D printed Grail are the lift-lines. (Hand-lifted pottery often isn't smooth but has those.)

Are those a result of the printing process, or did you model those in?

BTW just a historical note, the Holy Grail wasn't "the cup of a carpenter" but was the property of a wealthy urban family and would have been a posh item.

What I really like about the OP's 3D printed Grail are the lift-lines. (Hand-lifted pottery often isn't smooth but has those.)

Are those a result of the printing process, or did you model those in?

BTW just a historical note, the Holy Grail wouldn't have looked like that. It was the property of a wealthy urban family and would have been a posh item.
Thanks! I intentionally printed the grail on 0.3mm layer height (very rough) in order to make the layers stand out more, it also meant less finishing work for me. As for the historical accuracy, I couldn't afford all the gold and gems so I settled on something more akin to the cup of a common tradesman, perhaps a plumber.

Just wanna say thanks for sharing this STL. And all the pics and tips.
I bought a couple of Indy props off Aliexpress (for a bit of a laugh, they were pretty cheap and my expectations were pretty low) The Raiders Fertility Idol was terrifyingly bad - they'd actually painted the eyes on with what looked like acrylic craft paint!!

The Grail isn't completely terrible, all things considered. The gold is kind dull and paint-like rather than that nice shiny gold leaf, and the whole thing is way too smooth and regular but the basic skeleton is there and seems solid.
I'll try sanding it to get some pottery turning marks and then redo the finish, but if I can't modify it to work, I'll be using your model and relying on layer lines from the printer to help with the effect. Need to pick up some gold leaf as well.

I have no idea what to expect from the Grail Diary I ordered at the same time. Could be woefully bad, could be halfway decent. Have to wait and see...the Idol is going to give me nightmares though!

Attachments

• Grail Two.jpg
    Grail Two.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Grail One.jpg
    Grail One.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Idol Two.jpg
    Idol Two.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Idol One.jpg
    Idol One.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 56
Just wanna say thanks for sharing this STL. And all the pics and tips.
I bought a couple of Indy props off Aliexpress (for a bit of a laugh, they were pretty cheap and my expectations were pretty low) The Raiders Fertility Idol was terrifyingly bad - they'd actually painted the eyes on with what looked like acrylic craft paint!!

The Grail isn't completely terrible, all things considered. The gold is kind dull and paint-like rather than that nice shiny gold leaf, and the whole thing is way too smooth and regular but the basic skeleton is there and seems solid.
I'll try sanding it to get some pottery turning marks and then redo the finish, but if I can't modify it to work, I'll be using your model and relying on layer lines from the printer to help with the effect. Need to pick up some gold leaf as well.

I have no idea what to expect from the Grail Diary I ordered at the same time. Could be woefully bad, could be halfway decent. Have to wait and see...the Idol is going to give me nightmares though!
Thanks! That grail actually looks pretty legitimate for an Ali express purchase- but that idol is horrifying! Please post the results of the repaint when you’re done, and let us know how that grail diary turns out. I’ve been meaning to get one for a while.

Also a side note- if you end up printing your own grail make sure to use the file from the V2 version, looking back on that first one it is completely inaccurate. Good luck!

Thanks! That grail actually looks pretty legitimate for an Ali express purchase- but that idol is horrifying! Please post the results of the repaint when you’re done, and let us know how that grail diary turns out. I’ve been meaning to get one for a while.

Also a side note- if you end up printing your own grail make sure to use the file from the V2 version, looking back on that first one it is completely inaccurate. Good luck!
The Grail Diary arrived. It's not bad. Not great, but not bad. I wrote a more detailed review of them all HERE but the short story is it's okay, a bit rough on the details, and a bit blurry on the printing but has the potential to be turned into an acceptable collectible.

I had a play with the Grail replica. I took a Steel Wire brush and tried to rough up the surface to get some texture but the resin is too hard and it had no real effect. So I've taken some 80 grit sandpaper and sanded and roughed it up. I'll also scratch it up with a scribing tool or something as well. Bought some artificial Gold Leaf from the Craft store and once I've finished roughing it up and repainted it, I'll leaf the inside and re-do the exterior patches as well, then weather it with some paint, dust and maybe some plaster or cement to get that white dusty look.

If the leafing goes well (never tried it before) I'm going to 3D print a better Idol on my Resin printer, insert some dolls eyes and then have a go at leafing that. If that works, I may strip back the Rub n Buff from my 3D Printed Amulet of Ra and leaf that - though I want a more brass like tone for that. I think you can get Brass Leaf sheets as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back