Yet another version of the Holy Grail from Indiana Jones

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Kobeque

I know this is one of the more oversaturated prop replica projects, but I thought I could contribute something to it. I 3D modelled this grail based on screenshots from the film and then printed it on my Anycubic i3 Mega. It was more of a paint test than anything, and I think it turned out pretty well. If anyone would like the .STL file I'd be happy to provide it.

IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_2050.JPG
IMG_2053.JPG
IMG_2054.JPG

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Kobeque

This looks great! I'd be very interested in the stl!
Thanks so much! I put it up on Thingiverse but forgot to post the link here. Thanks for reminding me!

Mooniteman

Sr Member
Thanks so much! I put it up on Thingiverse but forgot to post the link here. Thanks for reminding me!

Awesome dude! Thanks so much!!!

Mooniteman

Sr Member
Did a first pass on paint and gold-leafing. Might leave it like this for a bit until I get more gold leaf, but came out pretty solid for just farting around with paints.

I love the imperfections and handmade aspect you added to it. Helped it feel alive and authentic. And I actually love that the 3D printed lines lent itself to the lathed/spun look.

Thanks dude!

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 8.47.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 8.47.32 PM.png

Kobeque

Did a first pass on paint and gold-leafing. Might leave it like this for a bit until I get more gold leaf, but came out pretty solid for just farting around with paints.

I love the imperfections and handmade aspect you added to it. Helped it feel alive and authentic. And I actually love that the 3D printed lines lent itself to the lathed/spun look.

Thanks dude!

View attachment 1423819
View attachment 1423818
Wow that's incredible! I love that collection of Indy props you have there, that whip is a beauty, and the pistol too. You know it's funny you should mention the thing about the layer lines, I thought the exact same thing when I did mine.

I have one question for you about your paint job, how did you achieve that dusty look? The one problem I have with my grail is that it's too bright and clean. I'd love to dirty it up but I couldn't get the dust quite right.
Cheers!

Mooniteman

Sr Member
Wow that's incredible! I love that collection of Indy props you have there, that whip is a beauty, and the pistol too. You know it's funny you should mention the thing about the layer lines, I thought the exact same thing when I did mine.

I have one question for you about your paint job, how did you achieve that dusty look? The one problem I have with my grail is that it's too bright and clean. I'd love to dirty it up but I couldn't get the dust quite right.
Cheers!

thanks dude! And funny you mention the whip - I have a much nicer one but it’s I use it too often to keep it in the display.

And to make it dusty I mixed a dab of dark brown, green & white into a tan color and then lightly stipled it on with a sea sponge. I watered it down a bit in places so it didn’t hide the layers underneath.

Kobeque

thanks dude! And funny you mention the whip - I have a much nicer one but it’s I use it too often to keep it in the display.

And to make it dusty I mixed a dab of dark brown, green & white into a tan color and then lightly stipled it on with a sea sponge. I watered it down a bit in places so it didn’t hide the layers underneath.
Interesting, I might try that tomorrow. I also had the idea of using real dust and then an art-grade spray sealer, maybe I'll print another grail and try both! In any case thanks for the contributions to this thread, I've only been on here a week and I've already had such a great experience thanks to people like you, so keep it up and keep making!

Mooniteman

Sr Member
Interesting, I might try that tomorrow. I also had the idea of using real dust and then an art-grade spray sealer, maybe I'll print another grail and try both! In any case thanks for the contributions to this thread, I've only been on here a week and I've already had such a great experience thanks to people like you, so keep it up and keep making!

Real dust would be interesting! I prefer to have a bit more control - the paint was pretty easy to work with and wipe away - dust might bunch up with the spray fixative... maybe. I don't honestly know.

And welcome to the RPF! It's an awesome resource and full of wonderful and generous people.... also a few jerks - they often get banned though.

Kobeque

I recently made a new grail, this time using a wonderful model made by CosmicDogPrints on Thingiverse. Their file can be found here: Indiana Jones The Holy Grail by CosmicDogPrints

This version of the grail is scaled more accurately, and I took more time with the gold leaf in order to achieve that golden glow like in the film. The surface could be a bit more grey and dusty, but I plan to add that later with a layer of real dirt. Anyway, below are some photos of my Grail V2!

Attachments

• IMG_2305.PNG
    IMG_2305.PNG
    3.9 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2306.PNG
    IMG_2306.PNG
    4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2307.PNG
    IMG_2307.PNG
    3.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2308.PNG
    IMG_2308.PNG
    4.2 MB · Views: 29

Kobeque

Here's that same grail with dust added. Makes a huge difference!

Attachments

• IMG_2330.JPG
    IMG_2330.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2331.JPG
    IMG_2331.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2332.JPG
    IMG_2332.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2333.JPG
    IMG_2333.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 23

LTsmash1200

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fuller's Earth would work too.

Dr Jones Sr

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
What I really like about the OP's 3D printed Grail are the lift-lines. (Hand-lifted pottery often isn't smooth but has those.)

Are those a result of the printing process, or did you model those in?

BTW just a historical note, the Holy Grail wasn't "the cup of a carpenter" but was the property of a wealthy urban family and would have been a posh item.

Kobeque

What I really like about the OP's 3D printed Grail are the lift-lines. (Hand-lifted pottery often isn't smooth but has those.)

Are those a result of the printing process, or did you model those in?

BTW just a historical note, the Holy Grail wouldn't have looked like that. It was the property of a wealthy urban family and would have been a posh item.
Thanks! I intentionally printed the grail on 0.3mm layer height (very rough) in order to make the layers stand out more, it also meant less finishing work for me. As for the historical accuracy, I couldn't afford all the gold and gems so I settled on something more akin to the cup of a common tradesman, perhaps a plumber.