Y-Wing Parts Map for the "Green Leader" Project - open source

Re: Y-Wing Parts Map for the "Green Leader" Project

another item I'm interested in is the square piece to the right of this image ( the area with the Yamoto pieces on it) is this part of the Saturn 5 engine or is it a m113 front armour or train carriage roof , cannot decide .

big dog I've also been trying to imaging what the triangular piece sitting on the kettenkrad hitch is, I'll post up some ideas and let's see if we can crack it

Sounds like a plan! I'd be happy to try and figure some of these out! I'd kind of taken a rest on the engines lately since there was only 1 or 2 ID's left on it but finding that triangular piece on the kettenkrad one would be pretty special!

I feel like it's mentioned in this thread that the large rectangular piece the yamato parts are on have been scratch built. But that could be incorrect and based on assumption if it hasn't been found maybe? I need to make a new engine image to put in my parts thread I just haven't had the time lately. I will try and work on one tomorrow morning if I'm able to.

Does anyone know any of the parts on the engine cylinder inside of the Saturn LEM shrouds?

The Super Piper Cub PA 18 is the Bandai one, 1/48 scale. The Aerosubaru in the same scale has the same engine pieces.

Its basically half the Lycoming engine, so any of those kits (Bandai/Entex or derived) that have a Lycoming engine should work. I'm trying to remember id anything else from the Aerosubaru was used but can't off the top of my head, and that box is buried right now.

Ryan

A discovery: The AMT 1/25 Payhauler inner rims fit PERFECTLY around the Aavid Thermalloy heatsinks. Also, some of the heatsinks I received have a chamfered inner circle lip only on one side, not both, so be sure you have that side pointing out -- the eye likes more "candy", or IMG_3326.JPGIMG_3331.jpg complex geometry, not less, all the way around (in art, culture, history, and Y-Wings)

Not sure if that's how they did it in 1975, but that's the way I'm rolling forward with mine. DaveG's 1-1/4 Plastruct Tubing assembly should connect up with this nicely if you're using his method.

A discovery: The AMT 1/25 Payhauler inner rims fit PERFECTLY around the Aavid Thermalloy heatsinks. Also, some of the heatsinks I received have a chamfered inner circle lip only on one side, not both, so be sure you have that side pointing out -- the eye likes more "candy", orView attachment 663329View attachment 663330 complex geometry, not less, all the way around (in art, culture, history, and Y-Wings)

Not sure if that's how they did it in 1975, but that's the way I'm rolling forward with mine. DaveG's 1-1/4 Plastruct Tubing assembly should connect up with this nicely if you're using his method.
Thanks for that, can you put a calliper on them and tell us the external diameter size, looks like 10mm if you can confirm , thank you

Not to jump in on SK but he sent me the PayHauler rims to mold and just last night I had 3D modeled the part. Here's a screen shot with some dimensions. Sorry, they're in inches. Long live the empire!

PH%20Rim%20Dims2_zps4vjckw7c.jpg

Last edited:

Not to jump in on SK but he sent me the PayHauler rims to mold and just last night I had 3D modeled the part. Here's a screen shot with some dimensions. Sorry, they're in inches. Long live the empire!

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s480/GoldbergArts/Y-Wing Build/PH Rim Dims_zpshnlc0hjc.jpg
thanks Dave, I was talking about the heat sink, if they are a tight fit to the rim, what thickness is the rim , that will give me what I'm after.

I've updated the screen shot with the ID of the rim. The heatsink is nominally .750" in diameter so it friction holds it in place, but only just barely. The rim is tapered so it's only in contact with the heatsink at the outermost edge.

IMGP8827.jpgIMGP8828.jpgIMGP8832.jpgIMGP8833.jpg

Here are some pictures with the Tamiya cm/mm calipers on them. The lower base of the rim is 2.8cm on the outer edge. The lower rim is just shy of 2.2cm, and then it tapers off as it goes up to just under 2cm. It isn't totally obvious to the naked eye, but the rim rises in a conical shape that gets thinner as it goes up. So Dave G's comment is exactly right: the heatsink only touches the rim on the very upper lip, and you'll probably need a bit of glue to keep things in place permanently.

View attachment 663583View attachment 663584View attachment 663585View attachment 663586

Here are some pictures with the Tamiya cm/mm calipers on them. The lower base of the rim is 2.8cm on the outer edge. The lower rim is just shy of 2.2cm, and then it tapers off as it goes up to just under 2cm. It isn't totally obvious to the naked eye, but the rim rises in a conical shape that gets thinner as it goes up. So Dave G's comment is exactly right: the heatsink only touches the rim on the very upper lip, and you'll probably need a bit of glue to keep things in place permanently.
Thanks for that, is this the same diameter heat sink that are used on the y-wing ?

Thanks for that, is this the same diameter heat sink that are used on the y-wing ?

These are Aavid Thermaloy (manufacturer) heatsinks, available from Digi-Key for rear-engine exhausts, item no. HS101-ND. These are, as far as I know, the "official" Y-Wing Studio Scale heatsinks.

I just literally cut one of those rims up for the Gantry crane "gear" assembly this morning, LOL. What are the odds?!

View attachment 663583View attachment 663584View attachment 663585View attachment 663586

How does it look/match up with the trimmed LEM over it?

BTW this is a really cool observation you discovered!

Cheers

LEgg%20Clips_zpscyzn6guv.jpg

The more I look at the "clips" on the engine nose cones the more convinced I am that they are a hybrid of two kits parts, not just a scratch modification to the Kettingad hook. Aside from the two little rivet bumps, if you look at the image on the left you'll see what appears to be an indentation consistent with what happens sometimes in less well made kits. Does anyone have any clues as to what the little triangular section may have come from?

I don't know where that triangular part might be, but I think AMT truck kit when I look at it with the dent in the side. I've seen many of their kits with that dimple defect.

By the way, if anyone can make this part in 3D (or the whole assembly) like the actual kit parts, I'd be interested in them. This is one of the more difficult to mold pieces left on the Y. And I'm not sure if my skills are up to making a mold for it.

Can anyone here please help with an id. This is on the Back plate of the forward fuselage.

Many thanks.

image.jpegimage.png

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back