Y-Wing Building

Looks fantastic, couldnt a run be organised to cut down the machining costs....just a thought?
What would you machine from....Renshape?

lee

Looks fantastic, couldnt a run be organised to cut down the machining costs....just a thought?
What would you machine from....Renshape?

lee

Not sure, Lee. I've never had anything machined before, so I have no experience with material properties. Perhaps you guys could suggest something? What would be a good material for it?

I need to finish the neck portion and build a mock-up to make double-sure everything is right.

The thick cross-tube at the back of the wings - I have it down as 7/16", and the wing thickness at 1/4" - but those are just guesses. The rest of the measurements took some self-deliberation, but they work together so well.

I'll post some more pics when I get some more time to work on it.

Vos could probably steer you in the right direction regards this - I *think* he has access to a RPM.

And just for fun...

1_27.jpg

2_25.jpg

3_24.jpg

4_23.jpg

5_15.jpg

6_10.jpg

THANKS WACKYCHIMP FOR HOSTING!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow cool pics dude!. Been itching to see more construction pics of your Y and wondered if we would ever see them. Great to see all the color kit parts used which will be a great help for a future build.
Still the best scratched Y IMO.
Many thanks for posting.
Stu

I made some more progress on my Y Wing drawings, but I can't post pics right now. I will post them tomorrow. I am really happy with how it's turning out, but I can't guarantee that it's 100% accurate. I'm working only from pictures and what parts I have (some key parts are still a mystery to me).

How much inaccuracy are you guys willing to tolerate, if I get it machined?

I am going to start mocking it up very soon, and I will post pics with parts in place - so you guys can comment if anything looks wrong. It may take me a while to get the mock-up in presentable condition, but I will post some 3D pics tomorrow.

This is mine, near to completion just need minor thing on the paint job.
This is not a specific Y-wing, just a Y in repair shop. I will later make small tools and spare parts laying around, at least thats my idea.

This is mine, near to completion just need minor thing on the paint job.
This is not a specific Y-wing, just a Y in repair shop. I will later make small tools and spare parts laying around, at least thats my idea.

Nice, love the landing gear and the diorama idea. You rarely see these beautiful models "at rest." Please post pictures when you're finished.

JS

I wasn't going to post this... But, I will not be buying any Y Wing kits because I have too many of the kit parts already. I need to use them. Here is my progress on the Y Body. I am going to see about getting it printed on a 3D Printer.

It will need some minor modifications like being sanded smooth and filling in some gaps that were caused by the shelling feature.

All I have left to do is the head, and I estimate it will cost about $100 to have it printed.

Jamie, can you share any info and/or pictures about the Y kit?

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the shape of the head section correct in my CAD program. Can any one be of assistance? Any help would be massively appreciated.

Hey DARKSIDE72, you should reduce your pic at least by 3 times, that's so big it took me a while to understand it was an Y cockpit. Reducing the size of this pic would also atenuate the over compressed look...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back