Would it be possible to get some close up pictures of how you did the hands? I looked back over the thread but I didn't see any. Have you thought about blackening the inside of the chest piece? Looking at the pictures, I could see blue is some area where you move.

Charlie
 
Would it be possible to get some close up pictures of how you did the hands? I looked back over the thread but I didn't see any. Have you thought about blackening the inside of the chest piece? Looking at the pictures, I could see blue is some area where you move.

Charlie

Sure, I'll try to get some pics up for you soon.

Working with the foam materials I used was more of a experiment rather than a planned out venture. I've relied more on the glue gun and heat gun to come with ways to form the look I was after. What I liked about this build was that since the creature was basically organic in nature every part didn't have to look exactly identical to each other but at least close to. This made duplicating left to the right easier and when painting with black - who could tell?

Oh, and yes I'll be touching up the inside as well to cover up most of the blue mat color.
 
Last edited:
Well, disaster unfolded it's ugly face just now. I took apart the head mold i.e. fiberglass mold and silicone shell and it was bad. I tore the silicone since both top and bottom halves fused in some places. I'm very upset. The worst part is - had the 2 parts not torn, the silicone shell alone would not have held it's dome like structure within the mother shell and would have just collapsed if I tried to cast a copy. Guess I should have put in those things called 'keys' for that reason but I'm not sure if that could have remedied the problem. That was a total waste of a gallon of silicone, very upsetting.

It's to late to give up at this stage so I'll try it again but I do need some help on how I should mold something this large. If anybody has ideas on how I should approach this please chime in. I'm very new to this.
 
Last edited:
Hows your Alien coming along?
Well, I haven't given up just yet. I've been feverishly busy trying to get a good cast of the head using 2 seperate molds.

The biggest issue I'm finding is that the enamel paint will not dry on Smooth cast plastic series I'm using. There seems to be some secretion that's coming off the plastic that's preventing paint from curing properly. So now I'm going fiberglass, crossing fingers.
 
Well, I haven't given up just yet. I've been feverishly busy trying to get a good cast of the head using 2 seperate molds.

The biggest issue I'm finding is that the enamel paint will not dry on Smooth cast plastic series I'm using. There seems to be some secretion that's coming off the plastic that's preventing paint from curing properly. So now I'm going fiberglass, crossing fingers.

Good luck!!

Charlie
 
Thank you all for the support, really appreciate it.

Meantime, here are a few pics of where I'm at with the head. The second cast is a combo of fiberglass (top half) and plastic (bottom half). I used rivets and hot glue to join the 2, not to mention another set of "gils" for the sides since those didn't turn out to well during the cast. Really a learning experience for me. Due to time crunch I'm just going with the original lower jaw for now and hopefully mold/cast that later after Halloween.

So far, I'm liking it. Seems to have that geniune alien grin seen in the movies IMO but what do you all think?

I'll be sanding and painting it today and hopefully have a part of the neck completed this evening.
 
@ Charlie, here are those pics you asked for with regards to the hands. Just your basic gloves with 2 sets of it's fingers glued to each other. I carved out some foam matting for the curviture of the fingers and wrapped/trimmed the insulation tubing around it. Then used heat gun for shrinkage. The rest are wireloom, pieces of cloth and some plastic shapes for the nails. All experimental but came out ok.
 
Head's done and I've just completed the neck. The paint on both are currently drying since I've also did some minor modifications to the entire suit. I tend to do a test run in a couple of days. But I can now say that this project is now complete, it was a lot of work and definately took alot of my free time.
 
As mentioned, here's a trial run with me in the entire head/suit. I suppose the garage would have been better (wider area) but I guess the top of the stairs should suffice.
 
Last edited:
Awesome job! You've definitely captured the feel of the alien and made one hulking brute out of it! (And I mean that in a good way!) Thank you for the closeups on the hands. I'll bet you're going to be a big hit on Halloween!

Charlie
 
Well there are host of youtube vids that I reference my diy build from. Are you referring to details surrounding mine and the parts I've used?

@simul8r yes that is what i was askin bra i've never seen one that big even on youtube that would be very helpful.
 
Thank you all for the kind remarks. Hopefully this bad boy will win some contest's out where am at. Actually, I'm confident that it will (knock on wood). Just last night I propped the head and chest together in the garage with the lights off but with a t.v. on and wow, was this creepy as hell. Put the shivers to my lady as she remarked about it. :love:thumbsup
 
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back
Top