X-Files Walllet

UPDATE: I just spoke with Doug Shoemaker, the grandson of "Tex." They can still make a style # 311 and custom cut the wallet for your particular badge. Replica FBI / XF badges come in all sizes and configurations, most not identical to an issue FBI shield. Mr. Shoemaker says to send a tracing (NOT a photocopy as they shrink the image a little) of your particular badge and tracing of the outline of your ID cards. I would probably do a mockup with the tracings to show layout, sizing, etc.

It is model # 311 in black leather and the price is $47.97 (probably + tax and shipping). The phone number for Tex Shoemaker Leather Co. is 1-909-592-2071.

I don't know what this detailing is called, but it outlines both the ID and badge cutouts on the screenused ones. I don't know if this is an extra detail that must be requested or if it is standard. You may want to check if you order.

WalletDetail2.jpg

That's a good pic. I don't knw what the name of that technique is, but it's accomplished via a VERY simple tool that is available at any tandy store. I picked one up when I was working on my replica, and it works like magic. You can also tell from your pic, right where the arrow is pointing, that they stamped out the corners of the card openings using a hole punch, and then cut the straight lines to make the full opening.

Paul, those are great pics you posted too. I can see a few of the tells that are in my set too :) Great pics, and great reference for those that have not gotten a good look at the early season wallets.

Matt, thanks for the kind words. Always been a fan of your stuff, and your knowledge on the subject has always been impressive.

I've been obsessed with this prop for years now, and also own a screen used blank set. The leatherwork on the wallet is good, but nothing that can't be done if you know a little about leatherwork. The hardest part is the stitching - the machines are way expensive, so you're left with hand stitching, which does a totally passable job, but takes much longer. Unless you have a machine, or know somebody with one.

I agree with Mr. Munson - the hardest part is the badge. I did multiple sculpts in an attempt to replicate the screen badge with what info I had at the time, but once I owned an actual set, was surprised at how small the real set is. The replicas of actual FBI shields look alot different, but according to the lore, the original X-File badge was sculpted by a jewler in Canada for the production. It certainly does have a unique look that, at least for me, sets it apart from others out there.

But isn't the joy of all of this in the journey getting there, even if not 100% perfect? That's why I love the hobby. I love the challenge of making that object that you dream about having, whether a badge, lightsaber, phaser - you name it; the process is what makes it so addicting. And the stuff you learn along the way!

Thanks Matt, Happy to assist with this. If anybody gets this up and running as a project. I would loan out my badge if there was anyone who could make some good repros of it and I got it back in good shape. The cards are easy really and were not laminated.

Paul, those are great pics you posted too. I can see a few of the tells that are in my set too :) Great pics, and great reference for those that have not gotten a good look at the early season wallets.

I suppose if anyone was going to see this through, it would be me. As mentioned, I've already got the dies made for stamping the leather pattern out, and the tool necessary to do the embossing. I have also already completed the artwork for the cards, complete with repro signatures and high res scans of actual photos used on the cards. And I have two real deal badges.

Only bummer is time and opportunity, of which I have neither. All my stuff is back in SoCal, while I am in Columbus. It might be something I pick up again when I get back, though I doubt there is much interest beyond that expressed in this thread. I don't want to turn this into an interes thread, as I'm TOTALLY thrilled to see people pursuing their own solutions to this prop. That's the type of stuff that keeps this hobby going, and it's great to see a prop this "old" still getting attention.

I've got the real badge as well, and the mold I pulled from it. Always wondered about having some resin casts chromed - currently I just do a paint finish. Anybody have any experience chroming?

Is anyone willing to post the templates for the ID cards?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go Ranger, hope these help you and anyone else that wants a set! I'm not a graphic artist so I'll leave that to someone with skill but they are a clean scan of an original set.

Is anyone willing to post the templates for the ID cards?

First off, great prop! The IDs look great and just as a sidenote to anyone worried this thread might be in the grey areas of the law, these have absolutely no resemblance to real FLE identification. Secondly, I agree that 50 shields might be a little high. I'd recommend that someone mold the shields in resin then have them chromed and sell them for around $7-12
No probs!
I got a quote to get repro badges made in metal BUT they will only do a minimum of 50! which comes out roughly £10 per badge. I'm not sure there's that sort of interest on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps we could all get the badges from one supplier, for example FBI + CIA ?

Does anyone have any experience with this company? Positive or Negative feedback? I'm in the States and thinking about ordering a couple of badges from them, and since I noticed this post thought my fellow rpf'ers might save me some heartache or shore up my confidence in my choice of dealers.

I've got the mold for the shield taken from my own screen used badge. Just don't know where to start with chroming....

Does anyone have any experience with this company? Positive or Negative feedback? I'm in the States and thinking about ordering a couple of badges from them, and since I noticed this post thought my fellow rpf'ers might save me some heartache or shore up my confidence in my choice of dealers.

Dunno how those badges scale against the screen used ones, but they LOOK very nice. THey are definitely diffferent than the ones used in the set I have, but to the casual collector, they are DARN nice. I may pick a couple up just to have as a "walk around" set.

I've got the mold for the shield taken from my own screen used badge. Just don't know where to start with chroming....
there was a thread in the jy a while back about a guy with chroming capabilities.

I cant remember the company, but in one of the indy idol threads another poster showed a silver surfer statue they had done by a company.

id be down to get chromed badges to upgrade my wallet from you

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back