Would you pre-order from eFx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose at this point, I'd preorder only if my investment was protected. Many ICONS customers never got anything when the company went under.
Not to say efx will suffer the same fate, but it could happen.

Just for the record, I'm a man not a boy. I think FanMan has a better ring to it.

There is a big difference between an incorporated company (respected at that) and a fan doing a run. It’s a lot easier for a single person to tuck tail and run with your money. Not impossible, but not so easily said and done with a company that has multiple major licenses.

No one is debating that eFX could do a better job communicating, but in the end, what would monthly updates do for you? You won’t get your product any sooner, you’ll end up paying the same amount, you’ll get the same product (actually better because they took their time to do it right).

You already said you know eFX will deliver. If it’s a budget thing, just start saving now. If anything you have more time to save. I know others said that eFX should be paying interest on their deposit, because they are paying for it on their credit card. Would getting monthly updates make your debt go away any faster and save you interest?

Serious question to anyone concerned: Besides making you feel better, how would you benefit from getting monthly updates? Maybe I’m missing something here. Help me see your side of the fence.

Last edited:
I don't think a monthly update is necessary. But if I preorder an item, and put down hefty deposit, I would like to know if there is a production delay. I can't speak personally because I have never bought or preordered from eFX, and I certainly know there are two sides to every story. But seeing reports of an item delayed two years now, and attempts to contact the company being ignored... That is a problem, no?

Last time I checked my calendar I have been waiting for a Tie fighter model since 1977.

Yeah...I built one...when I was 10...but it sucked...lol.

A few months/years later isn't killing me.

Now if efx starts marketing kidneys or hearts for people who NEED a transplant...I would disagree with all of the delays.

None of you need the Vader helmet for your job...unless you are a vader impersonator at birthdays...
And the Tie is just to D@#m small to fly you back and forth to work...+ it wasn't advertised as being able to fly....

So chill

Lets step back and look at the big picture.

1) Track record of great/amazing products
2) Relatively good price point for high quality not mass produced (in the grand scheme of products)
3) You as an individual don't need to become a master model maker, mold maker, painter....someone is doing it for you (If you are one of those things and choose to change the product at least you have a base to start)(Studio scale model section...WOW...amazing changes to some of the MR/EFX stuff)

The fan boys are getting what they want...just need some patience.

If you don't like the business model I guess you either don't buy the stuff (last few pre orders selling out in a couple of minutes suggests to me that they have the market regardless of a few voices in the crowd) OR you wait like the rest.

And yeah...I ordered the Tie and the Vader Legend....

There is a big difference between an incorporated company (respected at that) and a fan doing a run. It’s a lot easier for a single person to tuck tail and run with your money. Not impossible, but not so easily said and done with a company that has multiple major licenses.

Icons was a bit before my time really, but isn't that just what happened to them? They seemed okay, then things got really delayed, then the company folded with little to no warning? How many people lost out on preorders from them? Let's face it, the legal prop replica business has never really been a long term business environment, nor the most stable. How many legalized formal companies have come and gone, the last months having been marked with orders placed that were never fulfilled? There is a significant risk of putting cash down if there is no product in 2+ years it seems. If I'm going to preorder something, I hope that the preorder will have a faster turn around so I have some protection as a customer. If this was just a guy with a garage shop, quite frankly, I'd go visit his home and take the police with me. Or not take the police with me. But a company that folds, if you can't get charges reversed on a CC because you paid 2 years ago, what can you do?

Are we seriously discussing why a company should communicate instead of ignoring its customers ?
As a customer, a company that doesn't answer my emails (I'm not even talking about answering inquiries from a person who already paid a deposit) looses my business. Period
As a seller I would feel terrible not answering or updating my buyers especially if there's a delay (that's really the least you can do).

I've never preordered anything from EFX (and I surely won't now) but no matter how serious some people think they are, no matter how long you have to wait to get the product you paid for the lack of communication is just textbook bad business.

I don't think a monthly update is necessary. But if I preorder an item, and put down hefty deposit, I would like to know if there is a production delay. I can't speak personally because I have never bought or preordered from eFX, and I certainly know there are two sides to every story. But seeing reports of an item delayed two years now, and attempts to contact the company being ignored... That is a problem, no?

We have been told about the delays and some of the reasons for them. Just not as frequently as some would like. As to the ignored emails, I can't speak to that. Other than calling to place my order, I've never called or emailed eFX about my order. I'm just sitting patiently until they have something concrete to tell us.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it hasn't been delayed two years. It was originally scheduled to ship first quarter 2011. So that puts at about one year and two months.

I'm not in on the Tie Fighter, but from what i've read, they're pushing a year with no updates.

The flip side of it is, even if there's no new information, updating people at least quarterly to say 'same delay, no info' at least makes the customer feel like the company is aware they exist and keeping a line of communication open.

The BEST thing you can do as a company in that situation - you would think - is to keep communication open, and keep the customers informed, even if it's to say there's no new information. Worst thing you can do is give people the impression you've forgotten them or don't care about them.

I've pre-ordered several things from EFX and would do so again. Yes, their communications could use some improvement but I've been extremely happy with the final products.

Besides, your order is protected by your credit card company in most situations.

Icons was a bit before my time really, but isn't that just what happened to them? They seemed okay, then things got really delayed, then the company folded with little to no warning? How many people lost out on preorders from them? Let's face it, the legal prop replica business has never really been a long term business environment, nor the most stable. How many legalized formal companies have come and gone, the last months having been marked with orders placed that were never fulfilled? There is a significant risk of putting cash down if there is no product in 2+ years it seems. If I'm going to preorder something, I hope that the preorder will have a faster turn around so I have some protection as a customer. If this was just a guy with a garage shop, quite frankly, I'd go visit his home and take the police with me. Or not take the police with me. But a company that folds, if you can't get charges reversed on a CC because you paid 2 years ago, what can you do?

As I said, it's not impossible for eFX take the path of ICONS, just not as easy to do as a one person outfit working out of their garage.

Really the only thing you can do is not do business with them, which is your 100% choice. With that said...if anyone has a pre-order for the Legend Vader they want to get rid of at cost....please PM me. I'll glady do the worrying for you! :lol

Did I skip a groove or something? Where did this "2 years with no product" come from? The pre-order date for the Vader Legend Edition was April 20th 2011 and my order confirmation is dated May 16th 2011. The Limited Edition was even later--this has barely been a year.

This doesn't strike me an a exorbitant wait especially since efx has given several updates through their email newsletters as well as posting updates on numerous public forums over the past year. This is pretty transparent communication.

As a person who works for a manufacturing company I really don't see how anyone can realistically fault efx or their business practices.

Impatient? Certainly. Want my toy? You bet, but the call for torches and pitchforks is just silly.

Before my time also. You don't have to give me a history lesson, but is eFX displaying any of the same warning signs?

Thanks

IMHO, Not at all.

But something so simple as updates, when not done, causes so much negativity, they should not be ignored.

I don't get or know why they do it. Some folks can't handle bad news and have trouble dispensing it.

It's stupid and so easy to fix.

H3pilot. Your first or second post on the RPF included the fact you were banned from another forum for speaking against eFx...

MOST of your posts out of your 15 include eFx...

Obvious this is a personal problem or vendetta... This thread you are trying to use to stir up others to do the bashing for you...

Sorry, seeing a pattern.

You are this interested in this company and have soo much knowledge about props... Yet you only recently joined the largest prop forum on the planet?

Something doesn't sit right...

I mentioned I was banned from RS for suggesting that their censorship (locking/deleting) of unflattering eFx posts was because of advertising income from eFx. Not for bashing eFx.

6 posts on models, 2 on 1/1 props, 4 have mentioned RS censorship (one did mention eFx), 3 on eFx (one LOL about their lack of updates, one was actual time line of pre-order til now, and then this thread)
I wouldn't call 3 MOST of 15 and only the LOL is close to a shot at eFx. (Well deserved by the way. ONE web site update in a year and a half. Seriously??)

Do I have a problem with eFx? Yes. They have had my $ since OCT 2010, have missed two shipping deadlines and only provided one update in that entire time (7 months ago). They also ignore email.

Am I wrong to be mad? Is there ANY excuse for the total lack of communication after taking money and then missing two deadlines?

Is it a vendetta? I don't think so. I want eFx to do well. They are one of the few games in town for high end SW stuff. I just want them to communicate.

This thread is for perspective. I love their products, I hate their lack of customer service, I'm disappointed by their delays (but can understand some), and I would rather wait for a great prop than get an OK one on time. I just want to be updated occasionally.
What do other people think? Am I way off base?

Would you pre-order or not?
I'm still trying to decide if I will again.

Oh, and yes, I just joined. Recently retired from active duty where I was kind of busy. I now have a little more time.

Last edited:
I have always been extremely happy with EFX products, and just take the waiting as a given for what's being offered.

If you don't want to put up with this don't buy their stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back