Would you pre-order from eFx?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by h3pilot, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. h3pilot

h3pilot Active Member

Would you pre-order from eFx?
    (pay $ before they have a product to ship)

Their web site says pre-order information is coming "soon" for the ANH Hero Stormtrooper helmet. It looks cool, but....

The Vader Legend helmet pre-ordered in APR 2011 and looks about 6 months late.
    The TIE Fighter pre-ordered in OCT 2010 with no end (or even update) in sight.

2. planet

planet Well-Known Member

From all the horror stories I have read so far I would not
    ever order from them. Two years after taking money from some collectors and still not delivering your finished as a reputable business .

3. Thibault

Thibault Sr Member

I give this thread 2 days before being locked !!
    :lol

4. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes. I have, and I will again.

Efx is good people.

5. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have pre-ordered from them as well. But I understand that it can be difficult as you may not like giving money for something you do not know when you will receive. There is also the issue that your money flow may not be as liquid in the far future and you may not be able to afford the remaining payment.

You can always watch the staus of numbers pre-sold. Some items can sell out in the first few hours while some are around far after the release. You can try waiting to the last possible time to make pre-order.

The other option is to by from a reputable third party that does not charge your card till it ships. It may cause your dilivery to be a week or so later than getting it direct from eFx. I am not sure whether redfordfilms.com does this or not but their prices are the same and they have free shipping over $50.

Bottom line, if they offered an item that I really needed to have, I would have no problem pre-paying eFx even without a firm release date.

6. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

I have and would and they are on a dwindling list of companies i will preorder from. I have way more patience for items that are late then i have for items that are built like crap. If the delays are because they are trying to fix mess ups then all the power to them. Unfortunatly there are a few too many companies whos main concern is getting the product out in time rather then it comes when it is done right. I'll take a late product done right over one on time with poor QC.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  7. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

H3pilot. Your first or second post on the RPF included the fact you were banned from another forum for speaking against eFx...

I pm'd you that day and asked what the problem you had was, simply because I do have an order with them...

MOST of your posts out of your 15 include eFx...

Obvious this is a personal problem or vendetta... This thread you are trying to use to stir up others to do the bashing for you...

Sorry, seeing a pattern.

You are this interested in this company and have soo much knowledge about props... Yet you only recently joined the largest prop forum on the planet?

Something doesn't sit right...

8. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Without QUESTION.

However, Im biased, and know how they operate, and how much care they put into stuff.
    If they wanted to just ship crap, and make a buck. Everyone would already have Everything they have on pre-order.
    They have really strict standards, and when quality does measure up, they send it back.
    Is it possible to get it 100%? Anyone who says YES!! has never done manufacturing in China. They are determined to get it as close as they can given the constraints they have, one of them being understandably impatient people. ;-)
    My two cents.
    Frank

9. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Of course I would, they're a fantastic company. Sounds like a fanboy trolling, first few posts and all.

I'll add to what Frank's already said:

Listen, delays happen; it's simply the nature of this business. To suggest otherwise makes one's ignorance of the craft audible.

It takes a great deal of effort to land this stuff and any number of delays can happen between here and Asia. In the end, they always deliver top-notch product. They're one of the best outfits out there. Simple as that.

-Rylo

10. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Member

Wow H3pilot, you're just like the Energizer Bunny aren't you? Do you post anything other than complaints about eFX? Looks like you're not getting the repsonses you were fishing for. Maybe you should just put the pole away and just give it a rest.

+1 to oldken

11. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I do have to say a valid question is made about $350 deposits and getting no product 2 years later, with little to no communication to the preorders. Can anyone here verify that this is happening regarding some SW licensed helmets from them?

12. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Member

This was posted by a member of the "other" forum. Someone that works with Bryan...

From 4/30/12:

I talk to Bryan regularly. He is fine, but working on many projects simultaneously. So that makes it difficult to stop by the forum and post regular updates. But he is very much aware that there are lingering questions about products and ship dates that he wants to address here in the very near future.

In general the company is fine. I will say that much of Bryan's attention lately has been taken up with the Marvel property simply because there is a tremendous amount of work to do at the front edge of a new license. That's not to say that SW is being ignored. Quite the contrary in fact.

Keep on the lookout though. I'm sure you will see something from him here in the very near future.

From 5/5/12:

Since this have at least balanced out somewhat I don't mind posting a brief update.

The Vader Helmets were delayed another week due to lack of delivery of the display bases by the vendor. Everything else is packed up and ready to go. As soon as the bases arrive they will be packed in as well, the boxes sealed and put into a container.

Just for reference the TIE's are being made at the same factory. A very good factory, but a very small one. So when the TIE tooling had to be redone it made sense to have them start work on the Vader Helmets since they can really only handle one project at a time. It also happened that we were waiting on the final sign off from the TIE model maker which I believe we got just this week. In a sense everything timed out well from a production flow standpoint, because time and production capacity were utilized to the fullest. I realize that is little consolation for those waiting close to 2 years for their TIE. It's unfortunate that it took as long as it did to get the tooling right in the first place, but when you are in the business of accuracy you can't accept close enough.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  13. Roc74

Roc74 New Member

What has been the longest time from pre order to getting your item from EFX? I dont think they have ever not delivered on a pre order, correct (Taking pre orders then saying sorry we cant make it or something like that?)
    Im thinking of ordring those Avengers props, but all these concerns posted here on this forum is making me worried.

14. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

I've no problem pre-ordering- especially with respected companies. If it takes longer than estimated, so be it: I would rather wait for a quality product than get something that was pushed out the door to meet a deadline or sales projection.

As for the TIE Fighter, I heard they we re-tooling the wings...

15. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I hate people who sign up because they have an agenda. Or is it vendetta?

16. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

So they have taken preorder deposits, charging people's credit cards, and haven't delivered the product in 2 years? I do have a bit of a problem with that, and it'd make me have to reconsider pre-ordering the Captain America shield that I'm waiting to hear a price for. If they put a 'reserve' on the preorder amount, I can accept that, but I don't know that I'd feel comfortable being charged hundreds of dollars for a preorder on a prop that might take two years+ to deliver. I'd be paying interest on the amount I preordered, assuming I didn't pay it off pretty quickly, and after 90 days I really wouldn't have much recourse even with my CC to get refunded that amount if something should happen to eFX.

I think that they should really work on this communication issue regarding these helmets if they are going to keep getting pushed back like this.

17. MClass

MClass Active Member

So many eFX fanboys on here. h3pilot has made some very valid points and I see no reason to attack him just because he's a new member. Think about this way, if you bought a fan-made item from another member on here and they fail to communicate with you AND fail to deliver on their product for months (in this case, years) would you still react the same way? Would you still put a large deposit down for something that you may not get for months and/or years with little to no communication from that seller? Yeah, I didn't think so. I know eFX will deliver on a good quality product, no doubt, but the lack of communication is the problem here. There is literally zero customer service from them. If a company can't answer a simple email or give at least one update on progress per month, they fail in my eyes. There have been way too many people complaining about eFX, not only on the RPF but all across the various forums I visit. It's time for someone at eFX to speak up. And to answer the original question, I will never pre-order from them unless they fix their customer service and communication.

18. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

He seems as if he has joined the forum only to bash eFx. In another thread I asked him to PM me, and later i sent him a pm asking what the nature of his problem was... Since then I have seen him post in other threads and now start this one.

I do agree that 2 years is a looong wait. Especially if you have money down!

I have money on the Vader helmet, and most on the forum know that I am impatient! :angel

But there is a difference in having an issue with a product, and a personal problem. I may be way off...

I do think bobofatts last post explains what is going on with eFx.

If we want uber accuracy and quality... It's just taking some time. These aren't small personal runs. They are attempting something that's never been done. They've had a rough start on some things but... Idk... They just dont have a magic wand.

God knows i wish they did! :lol

19. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is the biggest problem I have. I think everyone can agree that eFX produces top quality items, but you can't rely solely on that. There has to be an open dialogue between a company and its customers, especially if there are production issues or delays.

20. JKKS

JKKS Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was really looking forward to their Avengers props (especially the Iron Man Helmet and Cap shield) but the lack of communication is a MAJOR issue to me.
    I'm a patient guy and I can wait two years if necessary to get a high end product but if the seller doesn't even bother to keep his buyers updated then there's no excuse it's just bad business.

So my answer to the question is that I probably won't preorder from EFX at all, no matter how great their final products are.

21. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I suppose at this point, I'd preorder only if my investment was protected. Many ICONS customers never got anything when the company went under.
    Not to say efx will suffer the same fate, but it could happen.

22. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Member

Just for the record, I'm a man not a boy. I think FanMan has a better ring to it.

There is a big difference between an incorporated company (respected at that) and a fan doing a run. It’s a lot easier for a single person to tuck tail and run with your money. Not impossible, but not so easily said and done with a company that has multiple major licenses.

No one is debating that eFX could do a better job communicating, but in the end, what would monthly updates do for you? You won’t get your product any sooner, you’ll end up paying the same amount, you’ll get the same product (actually better because they took their time to do it right).

You already said you know eFX will deliver. If it’s a budget thing, just start saving now. If anything you have more time to save. I know others said that eFX should be paying interest on their deposit, because they are paying for it on their credit card. Would getting monthly updates make your debt go away any faster and save you interest?

Serious question to anyone concerned: Besides making you feel better, how would you benefit from getting monthly updates? Maybe I’m missing something here. Help me see your side of the fence.

23. Kevin Gossett

I don't think a monthly update is necessary. But if I preorder an item, and put down hefty deposit, I would like to know if there is a production delay. I can't speak personally because I have never bought or preordered from eFX, and I certainly know there are two sides to every story. But seeing reports of an item delayed two years now, and attempts to contact the company being ignored... That is a problem, no?

24. jason_ehl

jason_ehl Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last time I checked my calendar I have been waiting for a Tie fighter model since 1977.

Yeah...I built one...when I was 10...but it sucked...lol.

A few months/years later isn't killing me.

Now if efx starts marketing kidneys or hearts for people who NEED a transplant...I would disagree with all of the delays.

None of you need the Vader helmet for your job...unless you are a vader impersonator at birthdays...
    And the Tie is just to D@#m small to fly you back and forth to work...+ it wasn't advertised as being able to fly....

So chill

Lets step back and look at the big picture.

1) Track record of great/amazing products
    2) Relatively good price point for high quality not mass produced (in the grand scheme of products)
    3) You as an individual don't need to become a master model maker, mold maker, painter....someone is doing it for you (If you are one of those things and choose to change the product at least you have a base to start)(Studio scale model section...WOW...amazing changes to some of the MR/EFX stuff)

The fan boys are getting what they want...just need some patience.

If you don't like the business model I guess you either don't buy the stuff (last few pre orders selling out in a couple of minutes suggests to me that they have the market regardless of a few voices in the crowd) OR you wait like the rest.

And yeah...I ordered the Tie and the Vader Legend....

25. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Icons was a bit before my time really, but isn't that just what happened to them? They seemed okay, then things got really delayed, then the company folded with little to no warning? How many people lost out on preorders from them? Let's face it, the legal prop replica business has never really been a long term business environment, nor the most stable. How many legalized formal companies have come and gone, the last months having been marked with orders placed that were never fulfilled? There is a significant risk of putting cash down if there is no product in 2+ years it seems. If I'm going to preorder something, I hope that the preorder will have a faster turn around so I have some protection as a customer. If this was just a guy with a garage shop, quite frankly, I'd go visit his home and take the police with me. Or not take the police with me. But a company that folds, if you can't get charges reversed on a CC because you paid 2 years ago, what can you do?

26. JKKS

JKKS Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Are we seriously discussing why a company should communicate instead of ignoring its customers ?
    As a customer, a company that doesn't answer my emails (I'm not even talking about answering inquiries from a person who already paid a deposit) looses my business. Period
    As a seller I would feel terrible not answering or updating my buyers especially if there's a delay (that's really the least you can do).

I've never preordered anything from EFX (and I surely won't now) but no matter how serious some people think they are, no matter how long you have to wait to get the product you paid for the lack of communication is just textbook bad business.

27. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Member

We have been told about the delays and some of the reasons for them. Just not as frequently as some would like. As to the ignored emails, I can't speak to that. Other than calling to place my order, I've never called or emailed eFX about my order. I'm just sitting patiently until they have something concrete to tell us.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it hasn't been delayed two years. It was originally scheduled to ship first quarter 2011. So that puts at about one year and two months.

28. cboath

cboath Master Member

I'm not in on the Tie Fighter, but from what i've read, they're pushing a year with no updates.

The flip side of it is, even if there's no new information, updating people at least quarterly to say 'same delay, no info' at least makes the customer feel like the company is aware they exist and keeping a line of communication open.

The BEST thing you can do as a company in that situation - you would think - is to keep communication open, and keep the customers informed, even if it's to say there's no new information. Worst thing you can do is give people the impression you've forgotten them or don't care about them.

29. FuseNova

FuseNova Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've pre-ordered several things from EFX and would do so again. Yes, their communications could use some improvement but I've been extremely happy with the final products.

Besides, your order is protected by your credit card company in most situations.

30. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Member

As I said, it's not impossible for eFX take the path of ICONS, just not as easy to do as a one person outfit working out of their garage.

Really the only thing you can do is not do business with them, which is your 100% choice. With that said...if anyone has a pre-order for the Legend Vader they want to get rid of at cost....please PM me. I'll glady do the worrying for you! :lol

31. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Member

Nute Gunray - "No need to report that to him until we have something to report"

32. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Did I skip a groove or something? Where did this "2 years with no product" come from? The pre-order date for the Vader Legend Edition was April 20th 2011 and my order confirmation is dated May 16th 2011. The Limited Edition was even later--this has barely been a year.

This doesn't strike me an a exorbitant wait especially since efx has given several updates through their email newsletters as well as posting updates on numerous public forums over the past year. This is pretty transparent communication.

As a person who works for a manufacturing company I really don't see how anyone can realistically fault efx or their business practices.

Impatient? Certainly. Want my toy? You bet, but the call for torches and pitchforks is just silly.

33. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

There was plenty of warning. Some people wear blinders. :lol

34. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Well as I said, it was a bit before my time. But I know a lot of people lost out and never got some things they ordered.

35. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Member

Before my time also. You don't have to give me a history lesson, but is eFX displaying any of the same warning signs?

Thanks

36. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

IMHO, Not at all.

But something so simple as updates, when not done, causes so much negativity, they should not be ignored.

I don't get or know why they do it. Some folks can't handle bad news and have trouble dispensing it.

It's stupid and so easy to fix.

37. h3pilot

h3pilot Active Member

I mentioned I was banned from RS for suggesting that their censorship (locking/deleting) of unflattering eFx posts was because of advertising income from eFx. Not for bashing eFx.

6 posts on models, 2 on 1/1 props, 4 have mentioned RS censorship (one did mention eFx), 3 on eFx (one LOL about their lack of updates, one was actual time line of pre-order til now, and then this thread)
    I wouldn't call 3 MOST of 15 and only the LOL is close to a shot at eFx. (Well deserved by the way. ONE web site update in a year and a half. Seriously??)

Do I have a problem with eFx? Yes. They have had my $ since OCT 2010, have missed two shipping deadlines and only provided one update in that entire time (7 months ago). They also ignore email.

Am I wrong to be mad? Is there ANY excuse for the total lack of communication after taking money and then missing two deadlines?

Is it a vendetta? I don't think so. I want eFx to do well. They are one of the few games in town for high end SW stuff. I just want them to communicate.

This thread is for perspective. I love their products, I hate their lack of customer service, I'm disappointed by their delays (but can understand some), and I would rather wait for a great prop than get an OK one on time. I just want to be updated occasionally.
    What do other people think? Am I way off base?

Would you pre-order or not?
    I'm still trying to decide if I will again.

Oh, and yes, I just joined. Recently retired from active duty where I was kind of busy. I now have a little more time.

38. h3pilot

h3pilot Active Member

You currently have 7 posts in just this thread so far. :lol

39. C0mmand3rC0dy

C0mmand3rC0dy Sr Member

I have always been extremely happy with EFX products, and just take the waiting as a given for what's being offered.

If you don't want to put up with this don't buy their stuff!

40. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Member

I run on rechargeable batteries.

Including this post, I think only two were to you. I'll try to do better next time.

41. Kevin Gossett

I think the main argument is getting lost in the shuffle. It isn't the quality of the product being called into question. It isn't even the waiting that is bothersome. It is the lack of communication that is causing all the grief.

I will completely remove eFX from the equation here... Any company that ignores its customers will surely lose business.

42. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

Good to hear back H3pilot.

I Hear ya, I'm just not sure what your doing is as productive to your cause as you think.

To most of us old timers... We see what has gone into this company. We see it is worth the wait and understand why...

Again... No magic wand. I too wish there was!

43. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

I seriously considered one of the Vader helmets. If there were anything I was going to pre-order, it would have been that. I'm really glad I didn't though. I guess that makes my answer a no.

44. dfchang813

dfchang813 Member

I've been buying and collecting for over 10 years.

Let me make this real clear.

For a major company to take that much money and not deliver product or detailed explanations for the delay after 1 year is unacceptable.

2 years infinitely worse.

It takes about 15 minutes to get on the Internet and tell your customers what is going on.

If you can't do that, don't take deposits.

If you can't go on as a company WITHOUT the deposits because you are using the deposits to fund other licenses etc then congrats you are Icons.

Lots of companies take credit card information and don't charge a deposit until product is literally ready to ship.

45. wannab

wannab Sr Member

The fact that this is even brought up means there is a problem on EFX's end. They should read this thread and others related and take notes so they can improve how they communicate. No-brainer really. They can do a small adjustment and eliminate the issue all together. Just good business. Leaving it up to others to defend them is not the way to handle the situation, it is all on them to try and fix the issue. Leaving it to others does nothing but create bad blood between people as you can see here.

Doug

46. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

Do any of you read through the whole thread?

I too have found myself itching for new info!

But this repeating of "over 2years with NO updates" is completely false. The last update apologizes for the long wait and gives * good reason.

Calling them icons? :rolleyes

Can't wait till the Vader ships and the few that get sold on eBay triple the original price!

All of you who are saying "I woulda bought the whole avengers lineup, but not now!!!". YOU WILL! :love

Here are a few updates In quotes from a post in this very thread...

"The Vader Helmets were delayed another week due to lack of delivery of the display bases by the vendor. Everything else is packed up and ready to go. As soon as the bases arrive they will be packed in as well, the boxes sealed and put into a container.

Just for reference the TIE's are being made at the same factory. A very good factory, but a very small one. So when the TIE tooling had to be redone it made sense to have them start work on the Vader Helmets since they can really only handle one project at a time. It also happened that we were waiting on the final sign off from the TIE model maker which I believe we got just this week. In a sense everything timed out well from a production flow standpoint, because time and production capacity were utilized to the fullest. I realize that is little consolation for those waiting close to 2 years for their TIE. It's unfortunate that it took as long as it did to get the tooling right in the first place, but when you are in the business of accuracy you can't accept close enough." [/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  47. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

The lack of communication is a deal killer for me. I'll give Sideshow credit, sometimes it takes a while to get my orders, but I get regular updates...which makes me feel better about the high price I am paying along with the wait.

I would not reorder or feel too pleased to have a company that is all to eager take my order and money only to seldomly give a status update, especially with the cost of some of the items at efx. How much effort does it take to send an automated email anyway?

How much non communication are we talking about anyway? A month, six months? For me, more than a month without an update is too long. Then again I am Italian, and not always known for having the most patience.

Edit: ohhhhhh. Thanks OldKen for ruining my *.

48. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

So the consensus is... If they would pop on forums every month or so and say... Hit a snag... That would make you feel better?

First off the TIE delay and vader are connected. As stated in the quote in my last post... they had a hard time getting a factory that could and would understand the concept of making something wonky and exact... On purpose!!! I really think the TIE situation was unavoidable, and hate to say it... But thanks to it being delayed to nail down the right people for the job... That piece will surely be the longest delay we will see from them.

eFx was a BRAND NEW company at the time... and still not cutting corners? To me that is impressive... Not repulsive! You will now get a superior product!

I understand where you guys are coming from! I hope we can make this a positive constructive criticism that may help with future products. Too many of you are DYING to stick a fork in them. I really want to see them succeed!

I can't imagine all the stress and problems that producing this level of accuracy, coupled with quality, multiplied by a bunch of pitchfork waving angry anonymous forum posters can bring

The TIE agreeably is unfortunate in it's delays...

But you want accuracy, quality, and quantity... Unforseeable crap happens! Unfortunately it was necessary to get it done right. Sometimes a motor needs to warm up... Then it ticks like a Swiss watch!

Have some patience. Have some faith. No one has ever tried to tackle this level of awesome! If the whining from the penut gallery affectively harms their business...

I guarantee... No one/company will ever try again.

49. Boogeyman13

Boogeyman13 Sr Member

Except that that info had to come from a friend of the source, rather than the source itself. And it should have been e-mailed directly to everyone that has given them money. That is poor customer service, and poor customer relations management. Does the consumer need to have their hand held? No. But missing multiple shipping dates without explanation, and AFTER you've already taken money, is poor management. It doesn't matter if it's been one year or one week. People are a lot more forgiving if you talk to them, even if it's just to say sorry and it's being worked out. And if you're a legitimate company, saying you're too busy is inexcusable.

That's great that they do quality work. But it sounds like they need to seriously re-think their operations model. And because it appears that they cannot properly handle the first rule of customer service, and because I have no prior experience with them, I have zero faith in their ability to deliver products on a timely manner and resolve problems successfully. Consequently, I have no intentions to pre-order anything. As others have mentioned, if anyone ran business like this on the board here, they would have been banned long ago.

Being new is not an excuse, I'm sorry. If anything, you should be bending over backwards to your paying customers to help build a good relationship.

50. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Outside looking in, I'd have to agree with Kevin and MClass - I also support efx's product, but not their communication style. I hear other sides of the story and I'm hearing that one shouldn't be worried or concerned when 1) your order is pushed back - a time stamp would be normal responsibility, im not sure why extensions are so easily taken - and so often...that should be kept to a minimum.

2) shouldn't be concerned with the lack of communication. - In the end it is the same product - but in the meantime there is no way to tell an honest "hold on" from something worse. that's sort of taking advantage of the customer's trust.

everything from college papers, to loans, official projects, local favors, all work on the basis of trust on both sides. "Take my word for it" is not a way to handle a transaction...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.