"Would you like some tea...?" My wife's surprise birthday gift:) (Pic heavy)

Rodann

Sr Member
"The Dalek who controls the spice, controls the......" something..........

What do you get the wife who turned into a bigger Doctor Who fan than YOU? The one who said "I don't think I'll get into that show", but NOW has a Tardis shower curtain, bathmat, soap dispenser, toothbrush holder, bath towel, light switch covers, cookie jar, salt and pepper shakers, sugar bowl, autographs, photo ops with Matt Smith, etc...etc...... She even has Tardis, David Tennant, and Dalek tattoos from Walter "Sausage" Frank! .......... of "Ink Master" fame.........

Well.........I came up with the idea to make this for Xmas, but between illnesses..... snowstorms.... and indecisiveness........I didn't. BUT.....I did manage to do it for my wife's birthday! In spite of working out in the garage in 16 degrees, with a WORSE cold (Since Feb 3! I still have it!!!) ..........and more and more snow......:(

I made it using a "vintage" ice bucket, several wooden bowls, a lazy susan, and combined three different spice jars to make what I needed. By last week, I felt like one of those "Face/Off" guys trying to make this thing work by the deadline.......:lol I was going to re-stain parts of it, but I decided that I liked most of the colors, and kept it simple.

Oh, and I didn't exactly do this "under budget".........more like $300 over.:unsure Finding this crap ain't easy.........

The jars I wanted, wouldn't fit side-by-side in a circle, so I had to improvise and combine the top of one, with the bottom of another. The metal lids came from a third glass jar.

In all, it has 24 small spice jars, salt & pepper, 2 wisks, a meat thermometer, and a place for tea.;)

My wife said it was the best gift she's ever gotten!:D She hasn't stopped talking about it for three days...........

image_27.jpg
image_34.jpg

image_28.jpg

image_29.jpg

image_30.jpg

image_31.jpg

image_32.jpg

image_36.jpg

image_38.jpg

image_47.jpg

image_45.jpg

image_46.jpg

image_42.jpg

image_43.jpg

image_33.jpg

image_26.jpg

image_23.jpg

image_20.jpg

image_18.jpg

image_19.jpg

image_15.jpg

image_21.jpg

image_22.jpg

OK, that is ridiculous.

And by "ridiculous", I mean AWESOME. Thinking outside the box: bravo!

Thank you!:) I tried to make it as functional as I could, without going overboard and getting TOO obnoxious. My wife said too bad I couldn't get a patent, but I told her it doesn't really work that way. I think someone already has the name "Dalek";)

I would LOVE to be able to mass produce these, with vacuum formed sleeves to hold the spice jars, and a few other tweaks. Hunting down a good "spring" egg wisk was hard. I don't think they make them anymore.

Absolutely amazing. They should pay you to design these things, i could get one for my parents to go with all their Who stuff.

this is over the top awesomeness right here lol
good job! its even better that it functions in the kitchen!
100 cool points awarded:cool

Grrrrr! Now I have another project added to the list! :D

But, seriously - Wow! Stunning work! And it must rate you as Husband of the Decade!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back