Worst casting decisions ever made in movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by NakedMoleRat, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

You're not the only one. That was a truly terrible casting decision.

GirlyGothicGeek likes this.
  2. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

I didn't mind Kirsten Dunst as MJ as much as I minded the stupid way her character was written.

George likes this.
  3. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

David Thewlis was great up uptil the end reveal. As he revealed his true nature, he should have shed his human form and appeared more godlike.

Maggie Gyllenhaal in TDK. The entire character, who should have acted as a catalyst for both Bruce and Harvey, was boring and forgettable.

Tom Hanks in Angels and Demons, et al. I envisioned Robert Langdon more as an Indiana Jones type, rough and tumble but still cunning and intelligent. Hanks is a great actor, but lacked the physicality of the role.

Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton/ Hawkeye in the MCU. Flat, boring delivery. Might be the writing for the character, but I just don't care for him.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    harrisonp and GirlyGothicGeek like this.
  4. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

I really agree about Maggie Gyllenhaal- if you removed her and her character from the film nothing would be changed.

On the other hand, from what I remember in the novels, Robert Langdon was an academic with no real physicality, just a man thrown into situations over his head and struggling to cope. As time went on he did get more competent, but that was from gaining experience in dealing with these situations,

Riceball likes this.
  5. GirlyGothicGeek

GirlyGothicGeek Member

Yeah, that could have saved it.
    I actually did forget she was in that film hahaha

6. funboy1013xx

funboy1013xx Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

anything with john cena... the man can NOT act.... and that's my biggest gripe with the new bumble bee movie.... :(

kristen jones likes this.
  7. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Agreed. Thewliss is a fine actor, but he's the least-threatening person imaginable. Frankly, I thought the girl was a mistake, as well.

8. The Searcher

The Searcher Well-Known Member

Whoever got casted as Closeau in the two pink panther remakes was simply unfit for the job.

George likes this.
  9. mattycsi

mattycsi Sr Member

Maybe in the context of that film, but he was very menacing in the last season of Fargo.
    He's pretty creepy as the voice of the Shame Wizard in Big Mouth too.

HEMADEW likes this.
  10. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

That was Steve Martin. His comedy is rather hit and miss depending on the role, IMO his standup routines are much better than his character roles.
    Peter Sellers original played the Inspector Jacques Clouseau role and while some of the later films were just plain silly he owned that character on several levels

Darth Lars and Riceball like this.
  11. The Searcher

The Searcher Well-Known Member

Yes.

12. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

Change "Ben Affleck" to "Joaquin Phoenix", and I couldn't agree more. I liked him as Larry "Doc" Sportello in Inherent Vice, but for every other movie I've seen him in he's just the wrong guy to be playing the role he was hired for. And yes, that includes Gladiator.

13. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Yep.
    Keaton was absurd. No stature. No menace. No intelligence. No poise. No presence.
    I'll add Jack Nicholson as The Joker. It's like critics were afraid to notice that he dialed it in.

Moon (2009) was a superb movie which evokes isolation of classic sci-fi like 2001: A Space Odyssey and Alien. I only resent the casting of Kevin Spacey as the voice of the AI. He was supposed to be like HAL-9000 but his voice is so distinctive it just breaks the film whenever he spoke.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Probe Droid and CT1138 like this.
  14. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

Christian Bale as John Connors in Terminator Salvation. I just watched it for the first time on Netflix the other night. What a horrible performance in s stupid movie.

15. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

Thank you! From the moment I saw Batman I was disappointed in Nicholson's performance, but until now haven't found anyone who agreed. I thought he was doing pretty well up to the "Wait 'til they get a load of me" line, but everything after that was like watching a drunk uncle at a family gathering.

16. ALLEY

ALLEY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

FC68D48C-FE91-4D0E-A1A5-6E572947039F.jpeg John Wayne as Ghengis Khan in The Conquerer. Oh yes—that REALLY happened. This was financed by the one-and-only Howard Hughes—most likely around the time he started urinating in milk bottles and walking around with his feet inside Kleenex boxes.

Try to top that one folks!

He conquered the sweeping vistas of Utah...I mean, Asia; and may have been exposed to the radiation that ultimately cost him his life:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Larry T, jarvis, Riceball and 3 others like this.
  17. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

Seth Rogen as 'The Green Hornet'
    I remember the original series and Rogan played the part like a drunk Cosplay at a SciFi convention. The classic role was a serious vigilante (who's backstory included the Lone Ranger as an ancestor) who was risking all for a greater cause. The fact it also took place in Adam Wet's Batman universe with a crossover appearance made it even harder to play straight, Van Williams an admirable job
    Jay Chou as Kato worked much better IMO, I think he studied how Bruce Lee behaved in the series as a starting point.

Darth Lars likes this.
  18. MisterScrub

MisterScrub Active Member

No one is going to bring up the nose that plays Kylo Ren? I busted out laughing when he removed his helmet for the first time in TFA. Wait, that's really the villain? I was so confused; we're supposed to be afraid of that?

Rupert_Angier likes this.
  19. Strikerkc

Strikerkc Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And the Seth Rogan film was a comedy. Now, I agree he would not have been good for a serious remake, but that's not what that movie was at all, for crying outloud, it involves a scoobydooesque fight over a sushi shaped thumb drive. A villain has a double barreled, sideways shooting, desert eagle. I think your disappointment may be coming much more from your having expected a movie that was played straight, and instead got a comedy. That's not really bad casting, that's missing the previews.

Hmmm, he's the high point of those movies for most folks, and frankly, he does really well with the role. Not a strong family resemblance to fisher or ford, for sure, and it seems funny the first time you see him, but he just oozes "broken conflicted victim" while also being a huge imposing brute of a villain. Again, I think you may just be after something that wasn't the director's intention to give you. Doesn't mean it's bad casting, means you may not be taking the character in the context of the film. If I went into the original star wars, and expected/required a main character that's strong and powerful, and never shaken by anything, then mark hamill would be the "worst" casting choice ever...

20. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

I've got no problem with the casting for the SWST at all. Good actors can still be taken down by bad writing and directing.

Look at Hayden Christiansen as Anakin. We knew he would become Vader, the most influential movie villian ever. He was a whiny, skinny little punk in AOTC, not a whole lot better in ROTS.

Adam Driver is a lot like that. We expected Kylo Ren to be a new Vader, as Snoke did. What we got was a boy in a mask. He was not the villian we were expecting. And because of that, he gets trashed. I am not a fan of the ST, but I do think Kylo Ren has the most depth out of the rest of the cast.

No, he doesn't look like Han or Leia, but (aside from the nose) he does have a similar build and look to Anakin, his grandfather. Han ever said he had too much Vader in him. Physically and emotionally, it seems.

Larry T likes this.
  21. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sir Sean Connery in Zardoz...

Attached Files:

22. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

To be fair, if we saw Vader unmasked in the first SW movie he was in, he probably wouldn't have been as terrifying for the rest of the trilogy.
    maxresdefault.jpg

I mean, let's face it, in the end Vader is revealed to be this broken old man who's very life is dependant on the suit he wears. We'd have laughed if we realized that he could have probably been stopped by the push of a button. Everything we've seen of Vader up to this point is that he's a complete monster who kills whoever and whenever he feels like. The point is that in the end, it is our humanity that is what is good about out. It is our compassion that brings us happiness and strength. That was the point of unmasking Vader at the end of the movie. To show us that behind that terrifying mask, there's still some humanity there. It was the same thing with Adam Driver in the Kylo Ren mask. He's a monster, but he's still a human being.

Ben Solo is meant to be this very conflicted person. He's meant to be continuously stradling this line between the light and the dark. The man that can slaughter children and his own father, still can't bring himself to murder his mother in cold blood. Like Vader, he still has a glimmer of humanity within him. And like Strikerkc said, I think it's great that Adam Driver can still pull off such an imposing villain even without his mask. In fact, I actually preferred Kylo Ren without his helmet. It made him less of a Vader wannabe, and I thought it was more intimidating that you could see his scars and emotions. Plus, the voice modulator on his helmet made him sound like a child who was trying to deepen his voice with a store bought voice changer. Adam Driver's voice can feel naturally intimidating if he wants it to.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  23. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

My mistake- The Green Lantern did not really seem to be much of a comedy to me- it had a few odd moments but I just did not think it was funny.

Darth Lars likes this.
  24. The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull Active Member

I think he is a fine actor but his looks simply don't fit. But especially in TLJ every one was a bad casting choice. Mainly because this movie is a train wreck with a script that makes less sense than Tommy Wiseaus The Room.

25. MattBlack

MattBlack Active Member

But.. that was the whole point of Kylo Ren; He's a scared kid trying (and failing) to be a Sith Lord. Hence the fake name. hence the helmet and voice modulator and imposing outfit. So when he does finally take his helmet off, you realise he's this totally out of his depth kid bluffing his way through the role. He's literally the cliché kid who acts tough at school, but is riddled with insecurities. He naively thinks that to be as powerful as Vadar, you just need a mask and a costume.

The Force Awakens goes to great lengths to show him struggling in this role throughout - hence the conflict in killing Han, hence getting his butt kicked in the light sabre battle. The result of which is in The Last Jedi, him realising he will never be Vadar - he can't fake it.

I thought The Last Jedi was a terrible film, but Adam Driver (and Kylo's arc) is by far the best thing about the new movies.

26. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Most of you are too young to remember...

Or know...

Or care...

Except Probe Droid and Treadwell

But

For the win...

Richard Gere in First Knight

Jediscum and Probe Droid like this.
  27. PHArchivist

28. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Most of you are too young to remember...

Or know...

Or care...

Except Probe Droid and Treadwell

But

For the win...

Richard Gere in First Knight

Forgot about that one. Oh my god...

29. sztriki

sztriki Sr Member

Interesting that Jack gets quite an amount of crap for the Joker... Thing is I'm from Hungary and movies are dubbed there, it's just the way it is (eternal mystery why nobody speaks English there really). And I grew up with the 1989 Batman dubbed in Hungarian and the guy who voiced the Joker was tremendous. He is an excellent actor on his own right and brought fantastic wild energy and intensity to the character. Movies with original audio were practically nonexistent on home video until DVDs started to come in and when I first watched Batman on its original audio track it felt so tepid and dull.

Zombie_61 and Riceball like this.
  30. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

They even look bored

CT1138 and Strikerkc like this.
  31. PHArchivist

Diego Luna, anybody...?

32. Strikerkc

As who? Do you not like him as Cassian? Or something else?

CT1138 likes this.
  33. PHArchivist

As Cassian, yes... And I totally get that its a matter of opinion.

I loved Rogue One, just didn't care about most of the characters nor really liked most of the casting calls; with the exception of Felicity Jones, Mads Mikelson, and the guy who plays Crennic - they were all great.

While discussing bad casting and Star Wars Stories, Woody Harrelson? Really...?

34. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

I kept seeing 'Cheers'

35. PHArchivist

Takes me out of a movie immediately. Hunger Games...? Lord...

Though I never did see Natural Born Killers

36. PHArchivist

Gena Davis in The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Oh my...

Almost single-handedly destroyed a salvageable script.

Almost...

Renny had something to do with it too.

Richard Baker likes this.
  37. PHArchivist

Cameron Diaz in Gangs of New York

Took me out of the film immediately

dascoyne and Zombie_61 like this.
  38. Strikerkc

* you. I'd forgotten that character was even in the film, and had made it to a point of remembering the movie more fondly for her absence. Now I'll have to wait to forget her all over again before the happy thoughts return.

dascoyne likes this.
  39. Strikerkc

ok, I pose a question; is Shia LaBeouf bad casting for "Mutt" in crystal skull, or was it just a bad character to try and have in an Indiana Jones movie?

40. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Both.

GirlyGothicGeek and Zombie_61 like this.
  41. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Really? It's been a long time since I last saw it but I thoroughly enjoyed her in it when I did.
    Who would have done it better, do you think?

42. PHArchivist

Thankfully its a small role. But can't get the vision of her swinging her around * around in circles in Charlie's Angels out of my head...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 6:11 PM
  43. PHArchivist

Actually thought about that after the post...

Linda Hamilton, maybe...?

44. GirlyGothicGeek

GirlyGothicGeek Member

Personally, I loved the choice for that reason. I viewed the moment that he removed the mask as the moment we were supposed to go "holy #%*^ - that's a KID!"

45. Henkka

Henkka New Member

Most people loved Leonardo DiCaprio in Django Unchained but i didn't (i think he was okay). Originally Calvin Candie supposed to be an older man and i would agree (Leo is such a babyface:D). Daniel Day-Lewis doing his Bill the butcher thing would have made awesome Calvin Candie (If only he hadn't done that role twice already:p).

46. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

I still consider Idris Elba cast as Roland of Gilead in my all time top three miscast characters of all time.

47. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

Casting Idris Elba in anything is never a bad idea.

48. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

I'm going to disagree.
    Zardoz is so over the top that it makes it into the "so bad it's good" category. I might be in the minority but I enjoy Sean Connery in Zardoz.

AJK001 likes this.
  49. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

Zardoz is so over the top I think you could have had just about any actor in that role and the movie would have turned out the same...

50. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Oh, but Zardoz is sooo much better with Sean Connery. Remember that it's about a society that's become so soft all the men have lost their virility. In order to procreate, they need to bring in a hyper-masculine testosterone bag in the form of a hairy, brutal killer - namely Sean Connery ... thatis, Sean Connery wearing a bandolier and a diaper. C'mon that image is iconic.

The only others I could imagine in the role would be James Caan or Burt Reynolds.

Edit: I'm going to add Charles Bronson (this would have been his Hard Times era)..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 10:10 AM