Working Kylo Ren Helmet?

Because it's cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless it serves a purpose, I would consider it excessive.

To me, it first seemed like it made the helmet look more 'required,' similar to Vader's, but once he took it off, it obviously wasn't a required item. Sort of disappointing, and I really hope they don't harp too much on his obsession with Vader.

-The Truth is Out There-

It's possible that maybe it is some type of "cup/locking" apparatus, going under his chin, that keeps his helmet from being pulled off...just speculating.

I have made some electronics for IronMan buckets... and people have used servos is all sorts of ways.

* top (single) hinge
* two servos on each side/temple are
* some have even added wire/pushrod to extend the chin using gears/arms along side the faceplate lifting.

depending on the weight/load.. micro servo could even be used.

Although with the space and movement from the videos/.gif's.. looks like it may be a spring loaded approach.

It's possible that maybe it is some type of "cup/locking" apparatus, going under his chin, that keeps his helmet from being pulled off...just speculating.

Based on Finn telling Rey that the TK's helmets filter out only certain things, I would have to agree on this, based upon the face that there is no visible seal around the underside of his helmet. That, and it looks cool.

That is exactly what i had in mind just run a release button to the side of the helmet and be done with it. Simple. Right ??? lol

I was about to say the same thing. No need for motors. It's a coiled wire spring and a straight arm swing. It most likely works like those cheap folding lights you get for free that you attach to books.
View attachment 574951
Hack one of these into the front and you're golden

Sabs

That is exactly what i had in mind just run a release button to the side of the helmet and be done with it. Simple. Right ??? lol

But in the movie, it's clearly an actuator or servo. It's definitely electronic. Either way, I thought it was awesome. I will be doing a mold and cast of my helmet and adding a decent micro servo or two to give it this function. I'll be putting up videos on how I end up doing it.

But in the movie, it's clearly an actuator or servo. It's definitely electronic. Either way, I thought it was awesome. I will be doing a mold and cast of my helmet and adding a decent micro servo or two to give it this function. I'll be putting up videos on how I end up doing it.
Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with

Two spring loaded hinges and a latch should do it. I believe people are over thinking it.

You should really watch the video on page one. It's clearly not spring driven. Can it work with springs? Sure, but it wouldn't be nearly as cool or screen accurate. Ironmans helmet could also work with springs. Doesn't mean it should.

I did watch the video and have seen the movie several times. And I don't think you can even compare this helmet to an iron man helmet. You can control spring rates so you don't get a snapping motion.

You should really watch the video on page one. It's clearly not spring driven. Can it work with springs? Sure, but it wouldn't be nearly as cool or screen accurate. Ironmans helmet could also work with springs. Doesn't mean it should.

Last edited:
He could had even lifted it with his other hand. So unless you were involved with production you really cant tell from a 5 sec video what was used to say screen accurate.

He could had even lifted it with his other hand. So unless you were involved with production you really cant tell from a 5 sec video what was used to say screen accurate.

Yes, he absolutely could have, but that was clearly not the impression they were trying to give. Also, I don't have to be apart of the crew. This film was set in the future. He could have done it with his hand, but they didn't want you to think that. The simple fact is that this is about making it as "movie accurate" as possible, not as prop accurate as possible. Otherwise, why try to make ironman helmets move at all since most of it is CGI? Of course, lightsabers were really just long metal rods, but you don't see model makers getting pissed when someone makes it glow and make clashing noises because "that wasn't how the prop really was."

Oh, and the rate at which it's going up, I will argue that you're dead wrong it could be anyone's hands. Also, I highly doubt it's a spring. The simple fact is that in the movie, it's meant to open and close at the press of a button. This is extremely easy to do with a servo.

Like I said you cant compare the amount of movement in this helmet to an iron man helmet. You are looking at maybe an inch compared to 3-4 inches if not more. The pocket light that is pictured is spring loaded. There are many things out there that are spring loaded and open controlled rather than snapping (pens, calculators, lights). Also depending on the type used ( compression, extension, or helical) and the spring rate. I am sure there are engineers on the forum that would be able to elaborate more.

Yes, he absolutely could have, but that was clearly not the impression they were trying to give. Also, I don't have to be apart of the crew. This film was set in the future. He could have done it with his hand, but they didn't want you to think that. The simple fact is that this is about making it as "movie accurate" as possible, not as prop accurate as possible. Otherwise, why try to make ironman helmets move at all since most of it is CGI? Of course, lightsabers were really just long metal rods, but you don't see model makers getting pissed when someone makes it glow and make clashing noises because "that wasn't how the prop really was."

The length of movement is completely irrelevant as to whether it's automated or not. Their technology is far above ours. You really think Kylo would close it back with his hand?

So yeah, a spring does not make it close back... It would actually be easier to use a servo. I really don't understand your issue with a servo other than just wanting to win.

I don't have an issue with the servo. It is the way you come across. Read your initial post telling me I need to watch the video. The purpose of a forum is to share ideas and pool those ideas.

The length of movement is completely irrelevant as to whether it's automated or not. Their technology is far above ours. You really think Kylo would close it back with his hand?

So yeah, a spring does not make it close back... It would actually be easier to use a servo. I really don't understand your issue with a servo other than just wanting to win.

I don't have an issue with the servo. It is the way you come across. Read your initial post telling me I need to watch the video. The purpose of a forum is to share ideas and pool those ideas.

Well, you did have an issue because you said everyone was over thinking it, but really, I still completely disagree a spring can naturally move like that without hydrolics, compressed air or some type of actuator. I just kind of gave you that. But that would really make it that much more difficult. Really, it could have just been CGI. I don't know.

Don't really care, if people choose to make it move more power to them. They can make it move any way that they want. In my opinion which I am entitled to I don't think it is that complicated. That is all I was saying. You are the one that got all offended and turned it into a contest.

Well, you did have an issue because you said everyone was over thinking it, but really, I still completely disagree a spring can naturally move like that without hydrolics, compressed air or some type of actuator. I just kind of gave you that. But that would really make it that much more difficult. Really, it could have just been CGI. I don't know.

Don't really care, if people choose to make it move more power to them. They can make it move any way that they want. In my opinion which I am entitled to I don't think it is that complicated. That is all I was saying. You are the one that got all offended and turned it into a contest.

My point was really just that this is the RPF. We try to be really movie accurate. I was just trying to say that by the movement, it's not a spring. I'm pretty sure it was you who got offended by my comment, seeing as how that's what you said. Lol. To top it off, this is my thread, and it's about it being accurate , and adding a spring with compressed air and everything else it would take to move like that would not be "the easy way." Run along now.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back