Wonder Woman 1984

Okay... so maybe it's something in the background. Assuming that it's going to be a major factor based on one shot from the set is a bit knee-jerky in the reaction category. However, the fact that transphobia was THERE and that it seriously impacted the CDC's early response to HIV/AIDS is pretty well known at this point. Pretending it was otherwise would be disingenuous, at best.

So, no, I don't see a problem with a scene with that protest in Wonder Woman as an issue. But, perhaps that's just me.

The photo of the protest seems to be an actual protest in the 80's not part of the film. Its just a sign in the background of a shot, no big woop. Although the article seems to suggest more with the rainbow flag behind WW. It might be kinda cool to touch on the movement in the story, it was a big part of the 80s.

Okay... so maybe it's something in the background. Assuming that it's going to be a major factor based on one shot from the set is a bit knee-jerky in the reaction category. However, the fact that transphobia was THERE and that it seriously impacted the CDC's early response to HIV/AIDS is pretty well known at this point. Pretending it was otherwise would be disingenuous, at best.

So, no, I don't see a problem with a scene with that protest in Wonder Woman as an issue. But, perhaps that's just me.
It's easy to misconstrue my message. Just to be clear, I don’t have a problem with HIV/AIDS being referenced in this movie.

I just don't want this film to get "preachy" - NOT because I think these issues aren't important, but because Hollywood tends to suck out all nuance from social issues and leave us with cringey morality plays that boil down to enlightened pre-progressives vs. archetypical straw man bigots.

It's also true of Hollywood's cartoonish depiction of racism with films like (I'm going to step on toes here because even my wife loves these films and disagrees with me), Blind Side, Hidden Figures, The Help ... Driving Miss Daisy ... All period pieces where the past is depicted with broad strokes supposedly to inform ourselves about the genesis of racial discrimination. Real world racism itself is more complex and insidious - it was so in the past as it remains today. Nor am I saying we should sweep history under the rug but I'm tired of the cartoonishly binary way it's often represented on film.

IMO the best treatment of racism on film that comes to mind is, in fact, Zootopia, which was written with more intelligence, insight, originality, wit and power than any and all of those movies combined.

As with racism thus it has been with Hollywood's depiction of sexual discrimination as well, IMO.

And it's not even that I have a problem with films being infused with social commentary. I just feel like Hollywood creates more cringe than insight for me whenever they try.

And if WW84 does happen to go for the social commentary I would happily eat my words if it turns out to be a genuinely original and insightful treatment.

The photo of the protest seems to be an actual protest in the 80's not part of the film. Its just a sign in the background of a shot, no big woop. Although the article seems to suggest more with the rainbow flag behind WW. It might be kinda cool to touch on the movement in the story, it was a big part of the 80s.

That's what I thought at first but then you've got to think they picked the 1980's for a reason:

We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe Steves exposure on Paradise Island had some effect, maybe the same effect that gives the Amazons Longevity....

maybe Steves exposure on Paradise Island had some effect, maybe the same effect that gives the Amazons Longevity....
God, no.

While we're at it why don't we also go ahead and give Lois Lane super powers?...

... wait a minute ...

If they want to be faithful to the late 70’s-early 80’s WW needs to beat up a gorilla

giphy.gif

WW2_gorilla.gif

I'm mostly confused by the inclusion of (apparently) Steve Trevor. The first was good so I'm in for the sequel, but I'm not exactly psyched yet.

I feel similarly. I'm curious how exactly Steve will be there (visions? ghost of a memory? trickery? some relative?). I honestly hope that they won't go for the trope of having it be one of his relatives, because I have a pet peeve about films using the same actor in that way.

Man... I think something is wrong with me lately.

I WANT so badly to be excited about this movie, but I'm just... not. It makes no sense to me. I love Wonder Woman. I loved the first movie. I love Gal Gadot as Diana. I freaking ADORE Pedro Pascal. By any sane measure, I should be FREAKING THE **** OUT over this trailer, but instead I just feel very... meh. :eek: o_O

I’m in.

I loved the first one, and have been looking forward to this for a long time. Steve being back is definitely odd, but its certainly not the first odd thing I’ve seen in a superhero movie.

I just watched the trailer and yeah, it's just meh. I'm not sure what I'm looking at. There's nothing to be excited about. I really wish they'd all stop doing this crap in the past, like we're supposed to be slaves to nostalgia. There was nothing in the trailer that make me think "I have any interest whatsoever in seeing this."

I liked the first one and will go see this one I'm sure.

But it looks a bit like the director said.... "Hey, I like those shots when spiderman swings so let's find a way to have her do that... oh, and remember nightcrawler in the white house scene??? That was cool, let's see if we can do that too!"

Of course it's highlighted because they crammed them both into the two minute trailer, probably won't be as noticable in the context of the movie.

Man... I think something is wrong with me lately.

I WANT so badly to be excited about this movie, but I'm just... not. It makes no sense to me. I love Wonder Woman. I loved the first movie. I love Gal Gadot as Diana. I freaking ADORE Pedro Pascal. By any sane measure, I should be FREAKING THE **** OUT over this trailer, but instead I just feel very... meh. :eek: o_O

Welcome to my world! So often I will see a trailer for something that I by all accounts should be crapping my pants over and yet I feel nothing.

I enjoyed the first movie even though it was too long and the villain was goofy. As far as this trailer goes, I love the Blue Monday remix and how it was edited to the trailer. Though by all accounts movies and TV shows seem to think that song was the only hit from the era. How about a little Depeche Mode??? The movie itself looks fun. Part of me sees all the marketing ploys being used to suck me in, but the other part of me would totally be down to see it. I feel split right down the middle.

The shot with her "riding the lightning" looks so over the top schlock that I could in fact love it for being so goofy. It does resemble Spiderman. The truck flipping end over end is right out of the Dark Knight. The White house sequence right out of X2. Maybe it's the recycling of shots from other movies that is annoying me. Kristen Wiig will basically be Electro from Amazing Spiderman 2. Dorky friend who is enamored with her to begin with then turned villain when she feels snubbed by Diana. That shot from inside the coliseum is a mix between Gladiator and Batman begins with the kids running on those posts. The street shot with Capital Hill in the background is from The Quest for Peace and The Search for Spock. The 1984 title card is from GLOW. The vibrant color palate is likely from Ragnarok. The mall is from Stranger Things. Steve's return is Captain America being thawed out and playing his fish out of water in the modern world trope for laughs. As long as the story isn't just a mashup of other movies and the script had something fresh to give us, it could be a lot of fun.

Do I kind of love/hate this obsession with the retro 80s nostalgia? Yes. It's getting to the point where it's starting to be overused and I can see all the tropes from other movies being pulled in this trailer alone.

Either way I'll give it a chance. I was surprised by the chemistry between the two characters in the first movie and while I'm sure they will come up with some ridiculous reason to bring Steve back, other than the obvious one, then I'm on board.

The trash can bit did make me laugh.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back