Wonder Woman 1984

That didn't sit right with me so I looked it up. Leading up to the early 1900s, escalators were not something people typically come across. The large Otis (you'll see their stamp on many elevators) had a prototype in the late 1800s and didn't start making the type we're familiar with until 1921.

I think like most new unusual things in life, most people wouldn't have come across the few rare designs that were manufactured by them, and others (from the 3rd quarter of the 1800s) because they were more novelty showcase items.

And I can't even recall the subway scene, but it really depends where he was from to have experienced one. Or even really known about them. The world of information was different in the late 1800s, early 1900s.

I just chuckled at how afraid he was to step on something he never saw, but a fighter jet with 40 computer systems.....lets do it! Forget the jet, every kid knows how to step on those moving walkways at the airport without ever seeing one. Making Steve out to be a bumbling idiot really stripped his character of being a hero. Breaking Steve down to that level was a disservice to the franchise but fell in line with the way Jenkins portrayed every male character in the movie (rapey, creepy, stupid, evil, chauvinistic).

This is what happens when one person is given too much power in the creative process of making a movie. It can go Tarintino or Ghostbusters 2016.

Rumor has it that WB wanted to cut either/both the mall opening and the childhood flashback seqences.

That would help, but the movie would still have one villain too many.

I hated the opening flashback. I get its purpose as setting things up, but it was unnecessary, bad looking, and frankly? I very much don’t like that island. Gives me the creeps. The mall sequence I liked.

The opening sequence was one of the only fun things about the movie. At least visually it looked interesting.

This is true.

I did enjoy the episode of Themysciran Ninja Warrior, that opened the film.

4E453F5A-597E-41D9-BABC-12E100B502EC.jpeg

36681ECD-825A-4036-8128-631F5E49D623.jpeg

1C11A14B-23D8-49FB-AB8E-1B8D7E35FC74.jpeg

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice that Adagio in D Minor, from the score for Sunshine, was lifted and used for the “Diana Flies” sequence?

Was this a “temp track” that was accidentally left in the film?

Last edited:
RE: Escalators and subways:

The first working escalator on the (London)* Underground was installed at Earl's Court in 1911, in fact they installed two! They were an instant success and from 1912, all new deep-level stations were provided with escalators instead of lifts.

*Added by me fore clarity.

However, there were other escalators already in use in the UK in other locations prior to this.

Early European manufacturers: Hallé, Hocquardt and Piat[edit]​

Piat installed its "stepless" escalator in Harrods Knightsbridge store on Wednesday, November 16, 1898, though the company relinquished its patent rights to the department store. Noted by Bill Lancaster in The Department Store: a Social History, "customers unnerved by the experience were revived by shopmen dispensing free smelling salts and cognac."[23] The Harrods unit was a continuous leather belt made of "224 pieces . . . strongly linked together traveling in an upward direction", and was the first "moving staircase" in England.[24]

Hocquardt received European patent rights for the Fahrtreppe in 1906. After the Exposition, Hallé continued to sell its escalator device in Europe but was eventually eclipsed in sales by other major manufacturers.

Since WWI spanned from 1914 - 1918, it's not unreasonable to assume that Steve has seen, and probably ridden, an escalator before. However, as noted in the information regarding the Harrods department store escalator, it may have looked quite different than a modern escalator, so... bottom line: your mileage may vary.

not something really worth nitpicking IMO. I wouldn't have known escalator's were around in the 40's if others didn't go look it up and say so here. Didn't care.

I did pick up on the jet vs WW2 aircraft differences, but whatever. Honestly, didn't see a huge point in the invisible jet if you're going to ditch it 20 minutes and just let her fly....

The only things that bugged me where the Thor-like twirling, and the spiderman swinging around on things. Now, both of those may have originated with WW in the comics - i have no idea - but that's what I saw when they did it.

Frankly, they were all pretty minor IMO and didn't really detract from my enjoying the movie.

Seems that DC has made two good movies in the DCU - both were WW.

not something really worth nitpicking IMO. I wouldn't have known escalator's were around in the 40's if others didn't go look it up and say so here. Didn't care.

I did pick up on the jet vs WW2 aircraft differences, but whatever. Honestly, didn't see a huge point in the invisible jet if you're going to ditch it 20 minutes and just let her fly....

The only things that bugged me where the Thor-like twirling, and the spiderman swinging around on things. Now, both of those may have originated with WW in the comics - i have no idea - but that's what I saw when they did it.

Frankly, they were all pretty minor IMO and didn't really detract from my enjoying the movie.

Seems that DC has made two good movies in the DCU - both were WW.
I want some of what you are smoking hahah. I get it though. Didnt we have a thread like 'Movies you liked but everyone hated?' Im sure I have some gems that were panned into the dirt. It is interesting to see the gravitational effects of this flick in the community here. Im also curious if her new talents were in the comics.

Oh another thing that I didnt get was when WW was having a chat with Batman and said something like she has been in hiding for the last 100 years or so? But....she didnt change her name and is twirling around in a mall.....on a Saturday in 1984.

Oh another thing that I didnt get was when WW was having a chat with Batman and said something like she has been in hiding for the last 100 years or so? But....she didnt change her name and is twirling around in a mall.....on a Saturday in 1984.
Honestly, the last thing I want going forward in DC films is any continuity with Man of Steel, BvS, or Justice League (either version). No thank you to miserable mopey Watchmen wannabe DC films.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back