WIP: The Final Countdown Zero dogfight diorama Part 2: 1/72 Tamiya A6M2b

Looks like a good color

Kind of similar to Tamiya XF-20. That is where I was planning on starting with mine
I decided to give it that white filter coat and I like it much better. It's definitely not even close to the actual color. Although that's been a moving target over the years both as originally painted and research wise anyway. Apparently the paint lightened up considerably in the weather due to chalking. And as far as accepted research the color went from the accepted light grey, to more of an olive grey, to the more tan grey that's now accepted as being the "proper" color.

Now it has just a hint of the tan that's more just a little warmth than an actual tint.
PXL_20230521_231412676.jpg

PXL_20230521_231404408.jpg

With the Tomcat, it's darker than the white and lighter than the light gull grey and warmer than both. I think it will look great once it's weathered up.
PXL_20230521_231917831.jpg

PXL_20230521_231808384.jpg

PXL_20230521_231857877.MP.jpg

Makes sense

It is also one of the most frustrating parts trying to model military stuff. People get really fussy and particular about the correct colors and details down to the time and date of things

Things like on Thursday of May 21, in 1942, it was this particular color, but on Friday it was this color and then the first for 3 weeks in June the radar antenna was round not square, but you have the paint job from mid July etc.... :D

It is one of the reasons I don't often post my stuff on sites specific to military subjects as I often go for what I like, or what looks close but may not be historically accurate

Makes sense

It is also one of the most frustrating parts trying to model military stuff. People get really fussy and particular about the correct colors and details down to the time and date of things

Things like on Thursday of May 21, in 1942, it was this particular color, but on Friday it was this color and then the first for 3 weeks in June the radar antenna was round not square, but you have the paint job from mid July etc.... :D

It is one of the reasons I don't often post my stuff on sites specific to military subjects as I often go for what I like, or what looks close but may not be historically accurate
That's one of the great things about this type of build. Since it's fantasy, you have much more latitude. Although at the end of the day, it's always your build. I get interested in rivet counting to some extent and tend to do a lot of research, but at the end if the day it's art, and I'll always choose what feels right to me. I use the research to inform my decisions, not put them in a straight jacket.

That's one of the great things about this type of build. Since it's fantasy, you have much more latitude. Although at the end of the day, it's always your build. I get interested in rivet counting to some extent and tend to do a lot of research, but at the end if the day it's art, and I'll always choose what feels right to me. I use the research to inform my decisions, not put them in a straight jacket.

I do find the rivet counting interesting as well, and it is a great place to start, but yeah, I like the freedom of "because it looks cool"

I got the little detail bits on the fuselage masked off and painted. The control surfaces are fabric and a slightly darker shade of grey, and the exhaust portion of the cowl needed some black. Additionally I painted the cowl parts and the prop and spinner. On a real Zero they're silver, but I decided to go with black like the filming birds. I actually prefer the black for the spinner and prop. I also did a test fit of the cowl and it's really starting to look the part.

PXL_20230522_234035746.jpg

I like how the control surfaces came out, there's just the right amount of differentiation.
PXL_20230522_234045435.jpg

Prop assembled. I used just a dab of PVA for now because I'd like to figure out a way to get a nice blurred prop effect. I'm thinking of trying to print a widened version in clear resin and see how that works.
PXL_20230522_234247901.jpg

Obligatory shot with the Tomcat.
PXL_20230522_234233060.jpg

The decals are done, and it's really starting to look the part. In the end I decided to just use the AI-102 tailcode that's included on the decal sheet, The first film Zero is AI-113, but unless you pause it, it's almost impossible to see. I did cut the yellow tail stripes off though since those are definitely not on the film bird. I'm not a huge fan of the Tamiya decals, while I had no problem getting the Wolfpack Design VF-84 markings I used on the Tomcat to lay down in the panel lines, no amount of Micro Sol would get these decals to conform to the extremely fine panel lines. To be fair, that may just be a testament to the extreme delicacy of the engraving, but then end result is the same. I ended up having to very carefully cut the panel lines in with a very sharp hobby knife and then use more Micro Sol and Micro Set. I hope they stay adhered properly when I clear coat it. All in all I'm happy with how it's turning out though.

Next up is getting the canopy and the tiny detail bits painted. I think I'm going to probably need to order a die cut mask set for the canopy, but I'll probably try masking the spare closed rear section by hand and see if it comes out well before I do that.

PXL_20230524_055623740.jpg

PXL_20230524_055633697.jpg

PXL_20230524_055642464.jpg

PXL_20230524_055701800.jpg

PXL_20230524_055736376.jpg

PXL_20230524_055808391.MP.jpg

Perfect!

Love the pre-shading/tonal differences in the panels
Thanks! I'm happy with the shading but the gloss coat came out a little grainy for some reason. I'm still painting in my garage so it may be the Texas heat and humidity starting to ramp up. Hopefully the grain will get knocked back some with weathering and and the final top coat.

Decals are sealed and I can start weathering once it's cured. Since the only thing I'm going to be airbrushing at this point are either small details or the final clear coat, I took the cockpit mask off. With the canopy in place, even unpainted it really looks fantastic. I can't wait to finish and get the first half of the display done. I saw some motion blurred landscape photo bases for in flight displays and they look fantastic. I think I'm going to go that route with clear acrylic supports.

PXL_20230524_230831104.jpg
PXL_20230524_230754879.MP.jpg

Good news! I just watched the sequence, and as long as you don't add the drop tank, it's the other guy. :D

We now return you to your regularly scheduled build.

Good news! I just watched the sequence, and as long as you don't add the drop tank, it's the other guy. :D

We now return you to your regularly scheduled build.
Yeah, but I'd have to strip the tail code and make a black one (and figure out what the hell the numbers actually are). Such a dilemma!

(Yes, I have watched that sequence WAAAY to many times...) :lol:

Today was dedicated to the canopy. I bit the bullet and just masked it by hand. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with the way it came out. I do need to touch up the windscreen, I somehow missed the line and didn't cut the mask back far enough on the front glass, but that's a very easy fix. I test fit the canopy parts and wow, does it really come together with the greenhouse painted up. I'm going to leave all the small delicate bits off until I'm completely done with painting but I'm absolutely chuffed at this point.

PXL_20230526_040352195.jpg

PXL_20230526_040455594.jpg

PXL_20230526_040510317.jpg

PXL_20230526_040518077.jpg

PXL_20230526_040537649.jpg

It really looks amazing with the Tomcat, I can't wait to get the actual display done.
PXL_20230526_040659457.MP.jpg

Now that I'm closing in on the first half of the build being done, I'm contemplating the display base. I saw a blurred jungle photo base used on a Skyraider build and it looked fantastic. I think I'll do something similar on mine. I downloaded a few aerial seascape shots and threw some motion blur on them. I printed one out just to see how it might look and even with the small crappy print on plain paper, I love the look. Now I just need to decide which one to use, and get them done on a good photo printer at a decent size. I'd love to hear your opinions on which option you like best, let me know what you think.

PXL_20230526_171745556.jpg

Option 1:
Background 1 Blurred.jpg

Option 2:
Background 2 Blurred.jpg

Option 3:
Background 3 Blurred.jpg

Option 4:
Background 4 Blurred.jpg

Option 5:
Background 5 Blurred.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back