WIP: The Final Countdown Zero dogfight diorama Part 2: 1/72 Tamiya A6M2b

oh, and speaking of motion blur, are you going to try using a motion blur prop?

I had been looking around myself for one and came across this. Even has a pic of the Zero with one

1685139714147.png

there is also a bunch here PropBlurs Flexi-Pal Rulers and Model Parts

I also saw some interesting DIY ones that people make using a clear styrene or acetate circle that is airbrushed

Here is one example

I am kind of drawn towards giving the clear disc thing a try. There are a couple of big advantages in my mind.
Photoetch may bend very easy and accidentally knocking into it may easily warp it and it would be very hard to fix where as a clear styrene sheet would be less resistant? plus it would be easy to replace if something really bad happened to it

Last edited:
I like option 1 or option Zero (get it?).

Option 2 looks a little too green, for my taste. A bit ethereal.

Option Zero ( :D ) is actually Option 1, it's just my current printer sucks. I had a fantastic Canon Pixma Pro that would print up to 13" X 19", but unfortunately it gave up the ghost.

oh, and speaking of motion blur, are you going to try using a motion blur prop?

I had been looking around myself for one and came across this. Even has a pic of the Zero with one

View attachment 1705067

there is also a bunch here PropBlurs Flexi-Pal Rulers and Model Parts

I also saw some interesting DIY ones that people make using a clear styrene or acetate circle that is airbrushed

Here is one example

I am kind of drawn towards giving the clear disc thing a try. There are a couple of big advantages in my mind.
Photoetch may bend very easy and accidentally knocking into it may easily warp it and it would be very hard to fix where as a clear styrene sheet would be less resistant? plus it would be easy to replace if something really bad happened to it

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try a motion blur prop. I'm not a fan of the photoetch, I also worry about the possibility of bending and they look the most artificial to my eye. The front runner is airbrushing some clear plastic. I have also thought about making a digital model of the disc that has the cross section of the prop and printing in clear resin, then airbrushing that. I don't know if that's going overboard, but the OCD graphic design tech nerd in me wants to try it. ;)

Option 1 is my front runner for the base, it's the most dynamic of the 5 choices IMO and the waves being only at the front helps to lead the eye into the composition.

I did a bunch of small stuff tonight. I applied the wash to the drop tank and tail wheel, glued the tail wheel and tail hook in, masked and painted the wing walkway lines (the decals for them did not cooperate), painted a bunch of the small details, and touched up the windscreen frame. I'm closing in on the finish line.

The walkway lines came out great!
PXL_20230527_044222513.jpg

Tiny machine gun barrels painted.
PXL_20230527_044204781.jpg

Exhaust tips painted.
PXL_20230527_044257377.jpg

Hook and tail wheel glued in.
PXL_20230527_044246480.jpg

Wash applied to drop tank.
PXL_20230527_044316459.MP.jpg

Silver under coat painted on the navigation lights.
PXL_20230527_044232859.jpg

I'm calling it done. I still have to glue on the aileron counterbalances and actuators, but I'm going to wait until I have the final display base done to do that, they're exceedingly small and delicate. I also built a temporary combined base out of Lego to display it with the Tomcat. I really can't wait to get the final base done with a more dynamic pose, but even as is, they look amazing together. Also on the to do list is a blurred prop, I've only got the static prop and spinner tacked together with a tiny bit of PVA glue and the hub is held on by a poly cap so it will be easy to change it out once I figure out what I'm doing with that.

The Final Countdown-20.jpg
The Final Countdown-15.jpg

The Final Countdown-10.jpg
The Final Countdown-08.jpg

The Final Countdown-24.jpg
The Final Countdown-19.jpg

The Final Countdown-04.jpg

The Final Countdown-01.jpg
The Final Countdown-05.jpg

Apologies but beginner question... what were you using as a brush?
No worries. I've got a nice set of Abteilung brushes from 000 to 0 for most of the detail work and a bunch of cheap craft store brushes of various sizes for dry brushing and washes. I also used toothpicks on a lot of the smaller cockpit details. The larger areas are all airbrushed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back