WIP Blade Runner: 2019 STEYR M44

I too am very excited to see your progress too Sir!
I have a few bits of my live fire build pending, however mine will be an ‘in universe’ action as opposed to the wonderful bulldog revolver and Steyr upper one that you are building here.
Good luck with your project and thank you for sharing it with us :)

Awesome Andy, this thread was before my time here, so I didn't know you started this. I'm looking forward to seing your progress on this great project. Good luck aquiring all the parts, you got the hardest already, that's great (y)

Thanks, eethan. I was very lucky indeed, but at first I felt completely opposite. The auction for the Steyr closed two Saturdays ago. I had prebid the auction at $750. The auction house’s estimate was like $800-$1250, I believe. I felt really nervous about it that morning so I raised my prebid to $900 and assumed it would go beyond that and close way my maximum bid... but you never know, so perhaps not.

*mugatu’s HUNTING TIPS #3:
Late November and December of every year is such a strange time in this hobby, as far as buying and selling of props and or real found parts for those props. With all of the holiday shopping for things not at all related to props or movies, people that have been waiting all year for something might finally see it and wish to buy it but other obligations for the holidays keep them from bidding, so on occasion, very pricey items will often close way under projections because half or more of what would be its typical buying audience has self-withdrawn from making any big ticket item purchases. Likewise, items that one would not necessarily normally be willing to part with often end up on the chopping block because:

A) no one is buying less important (to the seller) items due to what I just mentioned, or
B) a large unexpected bill has arisen in conjunction with Point A, or
C) a large bill has arisen in the amount of money exceeding Points A or B.

In any of these cases, late November and December are plump full of great deals, unexpected treasures becoming available, and low prices for unicorns in our hobby. If you can, prepare for and be ready for this in the coming years.*

Regardless, I honestly was not planning on winning it, but hoped it would at least add info to my running values chart for Steyr SL’s. Plus, since bidding remotely online, I unfortunately could not watch the auction live as I worked all day that day and we were very busy which kept me from even checking in on a work break.
By the time work would be done, the auction would be over and I could then see just how high the lot closed and then (hopefully) save and prepare for the next Steyr that I find at auction.

So, just as planned, at quitting time I logged on to check the auction closing values. I scrolled to find the lot number (513) in the long long list of lots, and as I came upon Lot 513 in sequence, looked to read the closing price, which said:

“Sold to Onsite Bidder: $550”

I could feel Hulk wanting to come out as I reread the notice.

ONSITE BIDDER

$550

ONSITE BIDDER

$550

(If this thread was a movie, the echo would still be ringing on and on into oblivion: BIDDERERERERERER
BIDIDIDIDIDDERDERDERDERDERDER!!!!
FIVEIVEIVEIVEIVE
FIFFTYIFTYIFTYIFTYIFTYIFTYIFTYIFTY!!!!)
Things were probably about to get very ugly.

Glad to see this project back up and on its feet again.
Looking forward to the progress.
Great score!

Thanks, Panaflex! I really didn’t expect to win it so I feel really lucky. It was unfortunate to have to drop this project before after obtaining everything, but having my family member doing so well now, I feel very fortunate and blessed for having it all work out this way.

I too am very excited to see your progress too Sir!
I have a few bits of my live fire build pending, however mine will be an ‘in universe’ action as opposed to the wonderful bulldog revolver and Steyr upper one that you are building here.
Good luck with your project and thank you for sharing it with us :)

Thanks, AndoShinobi. I have been wanting to make this for a long long time. Almost was able to once before, as you already know, but this time, we are going all the way. Definitely chronicle your build, and if you already are and I have missed it, post a link to the thread here for me and anyone else. We definitely all love Blade Runner and want to see yours, my friend!

Definitely following this.

Thanks, Marv. Since coming back with a bit more time, I’ve been really trying to focus, as you know, on actually completing something, and not just swirling around in the “real found parts churn”. Hopefully I can really make this one stick.

Last edited:
What an awesome update!!!

So how did you manage to clear up that error and get the Steyr?

Thanks, Markus!

I contacted the auction house through its Contact Us email portal, since at that time they had wrapped up the auction and were closed for the day, and expressed my surprise and displeasure with the results I had found. I remained as civil as possible, detailed my prebids both before and on the day of the auction, and asked them to please correct and update the results on their website and to contact me by email or phone with the invoice and amount due as I was clearly the winner.

As anyone familiar with online bidding with actual auction houses knows (as opposed to bidding on say ebay), once an error has been made, regardless of whose fault it really was, an auction house rarely if ever unwinds the winning lot. Even if unwinding a sold lot whose winner was appointed in error would be the most ethical thing to do (it probably is), actually doing so tends to cause an endless chain of other, albeit smaller but still unfair, offenses toward other bidders, in order to keep trying to make each new “screwed over” buyer as happy as possible, when the reality is, in the end, probably none of those screwed over would be happy. So from a business perspective, one person is already screwed and may never do business again with you so why try to make that one person happy when the chances of him or her being 100% happy are almost laughable, at the cost of any others you will now hurt trying to fix that original error?

As it turned out, the auction house did contact me, and they did admit to the mistake being made by them, and that another lot also had a similar mistake made by them. They did apologize and acknowledged that I was right to feel angry and upset about the error. They even told me the winning onsite bidder was a buyer for Cabela’s which is like the last large big-box firearms retailer in the US, and that he often bought many guns from them. They said they would try to reach him and ask him if he would consider working out a deal in some way.

I was obviously upset still and sort of succumbed to the fact I was not going to get this Steyr, but was somewhat grateful that they at least admitted the error was made by them and that they apologized.

Then I didn’t hear back from them for close to a week. I had left vmails with them twice during that time, which they did not respond to, so I could feel the fires of Mt. Doom beginning to be stoked inside me once again.

Then, incredibly, when I woke up the other day and was clearing out junk emails, there was an email with an attachment from the auction house. It turned out to be an invoice, addressed to me, for Lot 513, for a winning bid of $550, plus the auctioneers commission, and plus shipping. All said and done for a grand total of $695.00 USD!!!

I believe I owe someone at the auction house and someone at Cabela’s a few cases of beer.

Last edited:
that's awesome! and a great price I guess even if I'm not very versed in the market value of that steyr. Good luck for the rest of the parts :)

that's awesome! and a great price I guess even if I'm not very versed in the market value of that steyr. Good luck for the rest of the parts :)

Thank you, eethan. I have been in contact with a couple machinists over the last day or two, to handle certain parts of this build: milling the Steyr receiver, shaping the forward receiver plug as eltee had mentioned he was considering doing with his Steyr barrel, and also turning a stock .44 caliber bull barrel down to ready-to-cut-the-threads condition, at which point I will hand-cut the threads myself

I have also been prepping to get deeply involved (probably) with laellee on doing some 3D printed (in steel) cylinder covers (possibly a small run of these in the future, if folks are interested in what will be modified from screen-accurate covers) and I also need to speak with spoudastis (hello!) about picking up an old 3D favor for the green laser sight rod.

So obtaining these two guns somewhat sooner than expected has left me with a lot of planning to rehash or reconsider once again.

awesome. No need to feel any pressure because you aquired the gun sooner though, take your time for the rest!
nice idea for the 3D printed items. I don't actually know if steel is the best option, there is also aluminium and titanium that might polish better and might even be more resistant than the steel printing technology. Maybe make some research about that or see if people that used both can give their opinion on that. I think just in the description, shapeways is/was stating that aluminium is their strongest material. Titanium is not available on shapeways but it is on imateriase (in Europe, but they can be trusted, it's as good as shapeways)
Now, checking quickly, I see they added stainless steel on shapeways as a test and not the same bronze infusion technology! lots of options becoming available :)

Okay, as promised, here are the pictures of the Steyr that has since arrived into my evil clutches... I apologize for the terrible lighting and as such will post them here, in no particular order, as thumbnails (mostly):

4B30CA06-EB95-431A-8F04-3C11AE8D0FAD.jpeg6D143EF4-B91C-41EC-930A-7A0015F3280F.jpegC8CFCCEE-5F8C-4EEB-A7F5-8C75CACFAE70.jpeg
98833230-61E7-48D3-81CF-ED6CC2B78AF7.jpeg

96F772D8-A7DB-4F7A-9D5E-A5DEA7490F2E.jpegC09C2473-C99B-4C9E-B396-8ABF92F6D436.jpeg30066EEF-F6F3-4094-A959-9A111C1D75A3.jpeg
1A738394-0BFF-4452-B3E0-AA640E64DAC7.jpeg

699EE246-27A2-4253-BAD7-7EFBA882FBF5.jpeg29B98844-0A7C-44C8-90DA-1952D1032A28.jpeg1EAFCEE9-6963-4203-8B27-FC63011CD760.jpeg
B5D4D9A1-9465-43CF-BF1B-D3D894597683.jpeg

66FFECC9-FBF1-4A70-88AE-CB3B4ABA6A0F.jpeg847813E8-12A2-416E-8F91-C878AB9438B3.jpeg6790FAA9-6508-41F1-BF05-F6090CE28378.jpeg
06717E82-A502-4302-B2D6-9FCB2F022F5F.jpeg

E7389878-86E9-48CA-AD98-E06A33DC6CBF.jpeg6C9FBB8F-E965-47EB-9666-6166F2ED42EE.jpeg0C22CDE2-7712-47BC-AA3F-722AE6CAFDAD.jpeg
2308F8BA-622E-4E25-B97F-8100F6496ECA.jpeg

6AEE4A2C-F80A-406C-8C56-3C7272617399.jpegD0910F30-D5C1-42D6-B59B-D26790350705.jpeg84210E66-3B69-4458-B410-C612A3638287.jpeg

So there you go. I hope it was worth the wait for you... I know it was for me.

*For those wondering, whom have not read in other forums about the specifics regarding the double-trigger in the Steyr, please allow me to explain. This trigger set-up is called a “double-trigger” or “set trigger” type of fire control group.
It is dissimilar from most two-trigger fire control groups in that the two-trigger fire control group most people recognize is for a double-barrel shotgun in which one trigger usually operates firing (or activating the fire control and discharge of a cartridge within) one of the barrels, and the second trigger doing the same for the other barrel and action. For this arrangement, the barrels, actions, and triggers are more or less side by side (usually one a bit forward of the other trigger too). Double-barreled shotguns are often refered to as “SXS”, or “side by side” when the barrels are next to one another, or when the barrels are arranged in a vertical line, the shotguns are called “O/U” or an “Over-under”.

The two-trigger set-up of the Steyr (and other Set Triggers systems like it) is the Steyr’s Set Trigger fire control group are not designed as two separate independent fire control groups operating individual barrels or chambers and firing mechanisms which simply happen to be paired together in a single firearm, rather the two triggers of the SL make up a part of a single fire control system designed to operate a single barrel and action in a single firearm, but in two separate ways.

The first way is the standard way most firearms are operated: pull the front trigger (I will henceforth refer to this front trigger as the “break trigger”) and the Steyr will fire a chambered round. Nothing new or groundbreaking there. This “break trigger system” of firing a firearm is how pretty much how all firearms we are familiar with operate.

The SL (and Steyr’s other models within this product line series - Models L, S, and M) has a Set Trigger system that allows the shooter to change the pull-weight for the break trigger. Pull-weights for break triggers (or solitary triggers within a fire control system) fall across a wide range but popular consumer firearms are divided into sub-groups based on intended usage and purpose share smaller, and focused ranges of trigger pull-weights that differ between these sub-groups. It is probably most easily illustrated in the sub-group of handguns meant for self-defense or concealed carry in that the vast majority of semi-automatic striker-fired pistols run within one pound (in either direction) of a 3.5 pound break trigger pull-weight.
On average, bolt action hunting rifles, like this Steyr Mannlicher SL, tend to settle around a 2.5 pound break trigger pull-weight right off the shelf.

The steps to change the pull-weight for the break trigger of the SL is to pull the “set trigger” (the trigger in the rear) before firing the rifle by pulling the break trigger. By first pulling the set trigger, the required break trigger pull-weight is reduced to a mere 8 ounces!

For competitive shooters, ace marksmen, and avid hunters this is incredibly special as it should allow crisp precision shots by negating many of the common errors in precision shooting that happen during and after the break, much like golf, somehow it is the follow-through messing everything up. But taking the breaking point of the break trigger from 2.5 pounds down to 8 ounces would likely cover a multitude of sins.

All this info and exposition is to say, oddly enough, that although Deckard’s blaster does have a double-trigger, it does not function like the Steyr, nor does it function like a SXS shotgun. In fact, the front trigger on Deckard’s blaster doesn’t do anything at all! Further, the two triggers on Deckard’s blaster aren’t even from the Steyr!!! They are two Bulldog triggers.

So one of the greatest actually tragic losses in completing this build is the scarificing of this remarkable Steyr SL’s Set Trigger fire control system and the ingenious and masterful shooting experience Steyr had packaged along with it developed in the heart of Austria.

More st
uff soon (hopefully).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back