Winter 2017-2018 Project: DL-18 Jabba's guard blaster

I also saw some WEIRD medical stuff! Haha

But yeah, looked at probes, old soldering irons (a couple of which were close in shape), everything I could think of.

I still search, from time to time. For that, and a bunch of other stuff, like, Bib Fortuna's gun! Looked at power tools, pneumatic tools, vacuum cleaner handles, torches, soldering guns, you name it!

It can get frustrating, and the hours can go by real fast.

Hi guys,

I'm in europe an bought almost by accident a RO-72 panther black. So after much reading i'm taking the quest of doing my own Dl-18 blaster.
I seen a lot of side plates here and was not sure exactly about the curves, but I guess its all up to interpretations at some points?
In terms of the round bump or buttons that is on those side plates any one has some size for me?

And last but no least, seens those models parts are mega expensive maybe I will have more chance with the end of the scope. Who can I Pm to get that reference?

Was amazing to read all about you builds :)

Page 3, I used an Eberhard marker cap! Not the real part, still unidentified, but it looks pretty close. I used a mini flat metal file to carve the ridges to match the prop, and used like.. chapstick or some little plastic tube to bridge it to the gun sight I think

I think its an excellent idea because it looks accurate in terms of design. Isn't it slightly smaller than the white part of the sight? (got confused with different people posting their work) I been looking at hundres of models and have no clue about the diameter on pictures. Specialy in europe those marker are not to be found but got lucky on the cross knob ;). Thanks again

What did you use for the round bumper on the plates because it looks like bakelite coat button of 1.5 cm diameter?

Yes, actually the real part is a little longer, you can see it ends further down the barrel. I actually have a few extras if you want one, let me know! We can trade parts or whatever, it's not that expensive either

My round part... I think it's a Radiospares hemisphere bumper, I'm pretty sure. I got it from kurtyboy

Did anyone concider those marker for the head. not perfect but in termes of diameter we are not far of. Maybe its a good hint to keep searching for the front "marker part ". its a king size sharpie...vintage
1639434977916.png

I'm no longer convinced that it's a "marker cap", though I still call it that. ;) I dug and dug through 70s-80s markers, no finds. Perhaps more importantly, the caps all seem to have 5 or 6 raised "bumps", and the wrong end is open. (they're typically conical with the marker tip side on the smaller diameter end)

As for the scope...yeah, 1 zillion vintage probes of varying kinds, nothing found. I'm gonna smack myself if it turns up one day!! Studying it closely, I believe that there's a slight ridge/seam around the wide hump at the front, and possibly a slightly different texture on either side of the seam. This may be several pieces glued together? The ridge front is much thicker than you find on probes, soldering irons, etc, as is the diameter of the whole thing.

I used 16mm bumpers (link to Amazon) for the domes as well, 3d photo matching seems to prove that they're the correct size.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back