Why has nobody tackled the Shredder Helmet??

I do understand all the points made. I think BOTH an idealized version and a prop version would be nifty

Its just that wicker.....is, lets say....kinda like butter if cut.

Now... it could be metal....made to look like wicker ;)

lol its also possible the sculptors didnt really know real armor either and sorta guessed at what they were seeing or had seen in books, museums etc....Id put more money on that possibility than any other.

If you ask me I think the helmet is sculpted in cast in seperate pieces in Fiberglass like a Vader helmet. The detail on the underhelmet is not clean enough to be real chainmail. I am sure for the movie and budget it is one solid piece and the spike part is attached and would be light enough to move around in. maybe holocasted on the top pieces??? Resin and some fiberglass. The helmet was some sort of possible styrene like stormie helmets. Too heavy to be real metal.

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Feb 27 2006, 05:44 PM
I do understand all the points made.  I think BOTH an idealized version and a prop version would be nifty

Its just that wicker.....is, lets say....kinda like butter if cut.   

Now... it could be metal....made to look like wicker    ;)
[snapback]1195096[/snapback]​

You think we're wanting to battle in these things? :lol

I don't think any of us are looking for a functional, real-world protective helmet for sword-fighting or anything like that. I mean, of course metal "wicker" would look cool and all, but for the most part, it would be unnecessary for our purpose. I think wicker or another material should be used instead to keep costs down, while still maintaining that visual accuracy. I'd fair to say the majority of us just want a reasonably-priced, visually accurate prop helmet that is suitable for a cosplay costume or display purposes. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Then again, if we discover that the original had metal weaved onto its surface for SURE, then we'll cross that river when we come to it. :)

Besides, we only know that the helmet DOES have some kind of weave on it...but we don't really even know what it is or what its pattern looks like yet. We only have a few rather unclear and distant shots to go by. That weaved material could be lots of things, and it could be in any number of designs. I suggest we wait for better pictures to arrive before we come to any real conclusions. I want these things to look as accurate as possible if they ever get made, because this is my Holy Grail prop.

Someone needs to go ahead and take some new screen caps of helmet close-ups. Mine aren't the best resolution, and they're a bit vertically squished anyway.

Ryan

i don't know... i just can't see it being wicker... or even suggestive of wicker. the character's whole schtick is "meta-ninja-guy", lol. although it doesn't really mean much in regards to replicating the costume piece, here's an excerpt from the shooting script...

ENTER THE SHREDDER:

passing from shadow to light, which suddenly glints off of a full metallic helmet that allows only a pair of dark, piercing eyes to peer out through its horizontal slit.

i'm going to try and get in contact with a few people that worked on the film, that MIGHT be able to shed some light on this. i'm kicking myself BIG TIME for not picking up those continuity photos, haha.

EDIT-
i agree with the film over historical accuracy bit. just a thought... could the "weave-pattern" that we're seeing be thin metal wire wrapped around the vertical pieces on the helmet, on top of a base helmet? please excuse the QUICK sketch i did in PS. it's obvious that the pattern isn't exact... totally inconsistent. i would think that if it were sculpted and cast, that the pattern would be more exact. ...same with chain mail. i could see there being some inconsistencies with wire, though. i could be totally off-base, though, haha. ...as for the replica, i would side on the more affordable technique and materials, as long as it was mostly accurate to what is seen on screen.
crapdrawing8pc.jpg

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Feb 28 2006, 12:26 AM
I DID IT.....I  IDENTIFIED  THE  PATTERN   

crapdrawing8pc.jpg

MEDITERRANEAN  BARREL  SHINGLES

sbm6.jpg

pantile.jpg

Mansard.jpg

:D  :D  :D
[snapback]1195402[/snapback]​
:lol .

fruitcake.jpg

Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
back to the serious :p

I was doing some screencaps because i really want to make one of these and found this one particularly interesting. It's quite an irregular pattern...almost looks like some kind of netting over a shell shape. Either way, definetly something more suited to sculpting. Man i cant wait to start on this.

shredderclose.jpg

Originally posted by Kylash327@Mar 2 2006, 10:49 PM
shredderclose.jpg

[snapback]1197399[/snapback]​
It definitely looks like some thin metal wire work added to a base helmet in order to make it more interesting to film, rather than having a smooth surface, in order to give the helmet some character and not look boring. Sorta like the grey painted parts on the Vader helmet to create some highlight and low-light.

Would love to see one of these made. And boy, must it be dreadful to fight while wearing this helmet.

I believe I've heard or read somewhere that two helmets were used in the filming. One with a fixed mouth piece and one with a removable mouth piece. I'll check and see if I can find where I read or heard that...

But definitely a weave on some type... string, whicker or metal wire.

And thin bamboo and whicker, just as a side note, are actually quite strong when in a weave pattern.

you know what i would love to see a Turtle Comm from the old tmnt turtle cartoon, not one of the @#$%.ty toy ones but an accurate portrayal of one

hmm...hows this look? Just a quick test i did with fabric paint... im thinkin if i did a sculpt adn textured like this and cast, it would look damn close. I would take more time on it and be closer than this obviously, but its a test.

shreddertexture.jpg

wo looks very close i think the way your doing it kylash is what they did on film just made a hard shield and gave it the impression it was metal.

lookin at the screenshot the main three blade on the forehead doesnt look as metal looking looks like it was cast and then painted chromish lookin

kylash- with some work, something along those lines may work. good job.

how exactly would the fabric paint hold up to being molded? would the details make it out alright? what material would be used for the final casts? ...i'm sure than with a good paintjob, something like that would turn out great.

i think the key to making the helmet look accurate is not making it look perfectly symetrical. more organic or handmade.

agreed, its very irregular. this stuff hardens very hard, its perfect for molding once its dry. If i got around to it and molded it, finals would probably be fiberglass, it would give a nice irregular texture on the inside as well with the fiber cloth.

Originally posted by Kylash327@Mar 2 2006, 03:49 PM
back to the serious :p

I was doing some screencaps because i really want to make one of these and found this one particularly interesting. It's quite an irregular pattern...almost looks like some kind of netting over a shell shape. Either way, definetly something more suited to sculpting. Man i cant wait to start on this.

shredderclose.jpg

[snapback]1197399[/snapback]​
WOW. That puts it in a whole new perspective...I guess my first photoshop drawing may have been somewhat correct afterall. Thanks for posting that awesome pic, Kylash.. :D

I also like that first fabric paint test...It really turned out really nice, although it needs work. I bet if the container you used had a smaller tip and you made more defined, careful strokes, it would look almost perfect.

Ryan

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back